talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Lionel Messi - To Leave Barcelona

football forum

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respect him for not wanting to take it through court,  fair play on him for that. He has never trashed the club public ally, never downed tools through mediocre periods either.

He’s being forced against his will to stay another season, which is really shit from Barcelona. Yeah, his contract says 10th June, but he was never going to depart while the season was still ongoing. His agreement should have been altered as the season was, but Barcelona have dug their heels in. They knew he wouldn’t want to leave Barcelona in a courtroom. 

He is spot on with his criticisms, he wanted to leave as there is no direction in that club, no plan for him to get invested in. Don’t particularly like the man, but can’t help but have sympathy with him here.

And before somebody pops up with “don’t feel sorry for him when you see his wage” well he’d be getting that sort of wage at city, and he wouldn’t be another year older. This is a year of the twilight of his career completely wasted. 

10 minutes ago, Azeem said:

So the little bitch just wanted attention after all !

Of course... He is one of those players who needs to feel loved so when he has self doubt and realises that Barcelona are not the force they once used to be he sulks about and talks of leaving.. They obviously cack themselves then gather round and give him the football equivalent of a massive group hug to make him feel better... It's quite possible that someone was giving him a blowy or at the very least a hand job under the table while negotiations were taking place just to keep him sweet.. 

If I had been his boss I would have said there's the door mate, don't let it hit your arse on the way out... There comes a point where no matter how good someone is at their job that their behaviour can become disruptive and then it's time to part ways... 

On 03/09/2020 at 14:41, Happy Blue said:

Messi will not sign a contract extension  ..anything else is possible ;)

This is not over yet, he can sign a contract with us in a few months for a free transfer or use the Webster ruling  ..when Barca accept he's leaving they should come back to the table (if they are sensible) and get some money for him

Messi

"I thought and was sure that I was free to leave, the president always said that at the end of the season I could decide if I stayed or not.

“Now they cling to the fact that I did not say it before June 10, when it turns out that on June 10 we were competing for La Liga in the middle of this awful coronavirus and this disease altered all the season.

“And this is the reason why I am going to continue in the club. Now I am going to continue in the club because the president told me that the only way to leave was to pay the €700 million clause, and that this is impossible.

On 04/09/2020 at 19:37, Happy Blue said:

This is not over yet, he can sign a contract with us in a few months for a free transfer or use the Webster ruling  ..when Barca accept he's leaving they should come back to the table (if they are sensible) and get some money for him

You'd be getting what is still the best footballer on the planet. His goal numbers weren't up there with his usual numbers last season, but the quality of most of those goals were world class and not loads of pens and tap ins to make the numbers up. He was up there with De Bruyne for assists, chances created, key passes, etc and still dribbles like he's in his 20s and infact registered very similar numbers to Neymar in terms of completed dribbles per game. He certainly hasn't played like a 33 year old. But he's had to do too much for a fair few years now and there needs to stop being a reliance on one man. 

For me it's all about Koeman now because he hasn't exactly got a bad squad there with another midfielder and attacker going in. The defence needs strengthening though, as that's the weakest point by far. Pique can cost a game on his own.

Unfortunately I think he'll go next summer for free, unless the club show progression and there are changes, but I wouldn't rule him out staying in the end as he's not just leaving a club he loves but city where his family are settled. But you can't really begrudge him a move at 34 for something new when he's given his career to the club. I honestly can't see anyone surpassing what he's done at Barcelona and if they do, it's going to be in 50 years.

5 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

You'd be getting what is still the best footballer on the planet. His goal numbers weren't up there with his usual numbers last season, but the quality of most of those goals were world class and not loads of pens and tap ins to make the numbers up. He was up there with De Bruyne for assists, chances created, key passes, etc and still dribbles like he's in his 20s and infact registered very similar numbers to Neymar in terms of completed dribbles per game. He certainly hasn't played like a 33 year old. But he's had to do too much for a fair few years now and there needs to stop being a reliance on one man. 

For me it's all about Koeman now because he hasn't exactly got a bad squad there with another midfielder and attacker going in. The defence needs strengthening though, as that's the weakest point by far. Pique can cost a game on his own.

Unfortunately I think he'll go next summer for free, unless the club show progression and there are changes, but I wouldn't rule him out staying in the end as he's not just leaving a club he loves but city where his family are settled. But you can't really begrudge him a move at 34 for something new when he's given his career to the club. I honestly can't see anyone surpassing what he's done at Barcelona and if they do, it's going to be in 50 years.

I just want to see how him, De Bruyne & Sterling would link up  ..the new kid Torres looks like a steal too  ..where would you play Messi in our system? main striker or midfield :35_thinking: ..i think he might struggle out wide with the speed of the game over here at he's age  ..i think he could slot straight in to Silva's position but would be interested to see how he did as the main striker with Aguero's legs next to gone

To be at Messi level you have to be a megalomaniac, football will come before everything and he has even said he wants to move to win 2 more Ballon d'or awards then after City he will have the option to play for New York ..another 5-7 years and they can move where they want, right now i think Messi will put himself first

• The topic was locked

Archived