talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alexander Sorloth Completes Move to RB Leipzig

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has got incredibly complex. My understanding in simplistic terms is as follows...

Dougie Freedman unearthed possible gem in January 2018. He started off well. Roy for whatever reason alienated him to the point where he looked out of place against Grimsby Town a year later.

We loaned him out to Trabzonspor on a two year loan where Trabzonspor have an option to buy. At the time we were quite frankly glad to see the back of him.

In Turkey he has looked a class above everybody else to the point where he has been loosly linked to every other club in Europe.

Crystal Palace realised they had a player on their hands and tried to get him to come back during Covid. Sorloth flat out refuses to work with Roy Hodgson again and stayed in Turkey to finish the season.

RB Leipzig have come forward with genuine interest Naagelsman sees him as a genuine replacement for Timo Werner but if they don't sign him now they will look elsewhere.

Crystal Palace have tried to negotiate a recall with Trabzonspor who have said no as they'll look to activate his transfer clause next summer when their finances improve.

This has infuriated Sorloth who has decided not to return to Turkey after international duty.

Its now emerged that Trabzonspor only have a buy clause of around 6m IF Sorloth plays 50% of games in his second season. Meaning they don't actually have a leg to stand on.

Crystal Palace are trying to negotiate a fee with Trabzonspor for the loan to be terminated so Sorloth can join Leipzig for around 20m. We tried to push 26m but Leipzig threatened to walk. This suggests to me the transfer is pretty much agreed between the two clubs.

Then another spanner in the works is that Tottenham are now interested in signing him this summer too as a backup for Harry Kane.

Trabzonspor need to be very careful as they could end up with a player refusing to play and no money.

It is without a doubt the most complex and bizarre transfer ordeal I can remember us having in our history.

I can see this playing out as Leipzig set a formal deadline and Trabzonspor and Palace thrash out a deal for the loan to be terminated. I hope Leipzig lose their patience soon so we will have time to use the funds to accumulate more signings. Its bonkers to think that Sorloth funds could potentially go a long way to funding the signing of a player as  technically good as  Benrahma but that's a possibility at the minute.

8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

It sounds like we've agreed on a 50/50 split with Trabzonspor and an announcement of him signing with Leipzig is imminent.

Yes and the transfer fee that RB Leipzig are said to be paying for Sorloth is around £22 million. So that would work out as £11 million to Palace and £11 million to Trabzonspor. 

https://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/sorloth-leipzig-tottenham-transfer-news-18948916

• The title was changed to Alexander Sorloth Completes Move to RB Leipzig

Trabzonspor management started the new season with scandals. Last season's key players have lost Alexander Sorloth, Jose Sosa and Filip Novak. Sosa and Novak's contract expired but Sorloth's loan contract was valid for one more season. I think it was unethical that Sorloth did not inform Trabzonspor. Because Sorloth did not even respond to the call of Trabzonspor's authorities and he didn't play in first 2 SüperLig matches of the new season. 

RB Leipzig have done well to beat Tottenham and Manchester United to Sorloth's signature, Mourinho in particular was very keen to buy the 24 year old Norwegian. The transfer fee of only £20 million is also a great deal in my opinion. Sorloth is an established Norway international, who performed excellently for Trabzonspor last season. Sorloth's time at Palace didn't work out well,  but I think that there can be little doubt that Sorloth is a quality player.

Archived