talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Underdog Champions

football forum

Been thinking of times in this sport where the league has ended, and a champion is crowned, but it's not the champion that people would have guessed earlier in the season their crown has shocked their fans as well as the fans of league. 

Certainly, the top team that comes to mind is Leicester in 2015/16, and then I would mind Wolfsburg crown in 2008/09. 

I got to experience the Leicester crown from a neutral's point of view, but didn't experience the Wolfsburg championship, but am sure that was just as tense seeing a team get a lead, and maintain throughout the year despite pressure of the favorites. 

Are their any more times that you can think of when an underdog team won the league? 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Atletico Madrid in 2013-14 has to be the second team that comes to mind. They weren't quite as established back then so to win over Barcelona and Real Madrid was a massive shock.

I also thought of the 2016/17 Monaco team..

But the difference with these two examples, is that the Champions by Leicester and Wolfsburg remain their only ones to this date, which (to me) just adds to the magic. 

Just now, Eco said:

But the difference with these two examples, is that the Champions by Leicester and Wolfsburg remain their only ones to this date, which (to me) just adds to the magic. 

Montpelier then, which was similar to Leicester in stature, though winning Ligue 1 wasn't anywhere near as tough back then.

Just now, Mpache said:

Montpelier then, which was similar to Leicester in stature, though winning Ligue 1 wasn't anywhere near as tough back then.

Good shout that. I hadn't even considered them. 

One of the weirdest underdog wins in football history was Arsenal de Sarandi in 2012. That year was the Clausura and Apertura formats with no superchampion at the end, and a tiny barrio club like Arsenal had a few golden years. Though, and I'm sure @Berserker can confirm me on this, that was a dark era for Argentine football. They weren't qualifying for consistent Libertadores finals and Boca, River, Independiente, Racing and San Lorenzo were all going through rough era's. Independiente and River were in La B around that time and Boca had finished 2nd from bottom the year after. Clubs like Arsenal and Banfield took full advantage of the situation. You can even throw Estudiantes La Plata in there who have been irrelevant since their last Libertadores win

32 minutes ago, Eco said:

Atleti and Monaco title wins fall in the Dark Horse category

5 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Atleti and Monaco title wins fall in the Dark Horse category

Disagree regarding Atletico. They were firm underdogs that season to win the title. They were in the Sevilla category back then.

Just now, Mpache said:

Disagree regarding Atletico. They were firm underdogs that season to win the title. They were in the Sevilla category back then.

Is there really a difference between 'darkhorse' and underdog? 

• Administrator
Just now, Eco said:

Dark horse has an outside shot, so to speak. There's more of a chance for them as opposed to underdog. For an underdog, literally no-one gives them a chance. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Dark horse has an outside shot, so to speak. There's more of a chance for them as opposed to underdog. For an underdog, literally no-one gives them a chance. 

But couldn't you argue that Leicester has a 1/15m shot to win the EPL in 2015/16? :ph34r:

I know what mean you, as i do with @Mpache and @Azeem, I just think that the difference between the two is really hard to differentiate at one point. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

I'd agree with this. Regarding Atletico though, they were not viewed as highly back then as they are now. Wasn't until they won that title and reached the Champions League final where they were respected as a powerhouse in Europe. Not only that but that was near the end of the Xavi-Iniesta era that made la Liga look easier than it was. Also that Real Madrid side was one of the best I've seen. Better than any of Zidane's teams. They were in the Sevilla category really. Had won a couple Europa leagues but were never really given any chance to push forward. 

43 minutes ago, Eco said:

Dark Horse - Someone who is known to have the skills but not expected to actually win the damn thing

Underdog - Not expected to have the skills either and win the thing either

2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Dark Horse - Someone who is known to have the skills but not expected to actually win the damn thing

Underdog - Not expected to have the skills either and win the thing either

Than maybe Wolfsburg were a 'darkhorse', they had finished in 5th the year before, but 22 points off of the champions, some team called Bayern Munich

1 hour ago, Eco said:

Than maybe Wolfsburg were a 'darkhorse', they had finished in 5th the year before, but 22 points off of the champions, some team called Bayern Munich

AS German example Lautern 1998 are more suited, than Wolfsburg, although I called a team that were on 9th spot after the first half season a very dark horse at best. Considering that it's correct to call Wolfsburg underdogs.

• Subscriber

Brian Clough and Nottingham Forrest must have a mention...

Forest won the 1977–78 Football League seven-points ahead of runners-up Liverpool. Forest became one of the few teams (and the most recent team to date) to win the First Division title the season after winning promotion from the Second Division. This made Clough the third of four managers to win the English league championship with two different clubs...

• Subscriber

Nobody would've called Atletico Madrid before that season so yes that's a shock.

There's a run of surprise Bundesliga winners in the 00s. Wolfsburg and Werder Bremen both got titles didn't they? And Stuttgart I believe?

Ours is the biggest shock I think ever. To go from 9 points off safety with 9 games left, to staying up comfortably, then winning the league is a once in a lifetime thing. I'll never fully get my head around how it happened, and I feel thoroughly lucky it happened to my own club.

12 hours ago, Dan said:

Nobody would've called Atletico Madrid before that season so yes that's a shock.

There's a run of surprise Bundesliga winners in the 00s. Wolfsburg and Werder Bremen both got titles didn't they? And Stuttgart I believe?

Ours is the biggest shock I think ever. To go from 9 points off safety with 9 games left, to staying up comfortably, then winning the league is a once in a lifetime thing. I'll never fully get my head around how it happened, and I feel thoroughly lucky it happened to my own club.

Werder winning it in 2004 was far from being a surprise, Werder has been Bayern's most consistent competitor around that time. Actually BVB winning the title in 2011 was more surprising.

Archived