talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

3pm Blackout to be Lifted for PL Games

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Batard said:

It's such an outdated rule anyway, even when fans return they'd be idiotic to reintroduce it. There's far more money to be made in not reapplying it. 

Can't you see why it is? If everyone can watch Premier League whenever they want the incentive for kids to go and watch their local team is further reduced. Just another nail in the game's coffin, but to be honest it doesn't matter now, it's too late for it to be revived.

• Administrator
Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

Can't you see why it is? If everyone can watch Premier League whenever they want the incentive for kids to go and watch their local team is further reduced. Just another nail in the game's coffin, but to be honest it doesn't matter now, it's too late for it to be revived.

20 years ago I could see the relevance of the ruling. Not now. All it does now is increase blackmarket sales of streams/torrents. The Premier League have long been remiss in addressing this. Sell the rights to the streams directly. I don't advocate making every game available for viewing because it would harm gate receipts, but if the teams work with the Premier League on matchday streams they could make even more money. If there's one thing the Premier League likes; it's money. 

You’re going to get, understandably, chairmen of lower league and non-league clubs complaining about the likely detrimental effect on their attendances, not that the Premier League or FA usually care about those clubs. With this and the likely cap on capacities at those levels for quite some time, there’s going to be a genuine fear from some that some won’t survive. 

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Harvsky said:

Could be wrong but didn't it lead to gradual decline in Serie A attendances?

I haven't got the data but Serie A is increasing in popularity globally again so I don't think in the long run such measures really count for much. 

I'm wondering whether Sky knew about this a while back hence the real reason why they cut the jobs of Le Tissier, Thompson and Nicholas on Soccer Saturday, as well as Scott Minto as head of the Championship coverage.

If everyone can watch games live now, there is no need to pay high salary's to those mentioned for Soccer Saturday programmes or EFL coverage.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

You’re going to get, understandably, chairmen of lower league and non-league clubs complaining about the likely detrimental effect on their attendances, not that the Premier League or FA usually care about those clubs. With this and the likely cap on capacities at those levels for quite some time, there’s going to be a genuine fear from some that some won’t survive. 

You say that, but if all the Premier League games were being broadcast, perhaps it would be an opportunity for pricing to come down for tickets. I'd sooner go and watch Leyton Orient play than a Premier League side given the costs. It's time for the clubs to really reflect on what they want to charge a premium for. If you want the fans back in the stadium, open it back up to those on lower incomes. Make TV the Premium option that encourages attendance in the grounds. 

• Administrator
Just now, Lucas said:

I'm wondering whether Sky knew about this a while back hence why they cut the jobs of Le Tissier, Thompson and Nicholas on Soccer Saturday, as well as Scott Minto as head of the Championship coverage.

If everyone can watch games live now, there is no need to pay high salary's to those mentioned for Soccer Saturday programmes or EFL coverage.

No need for MoTD anymore either thinking about it. 

4 minutes ago, Batard said:

No need for MoTD anymore either thinking about it. 

I don't think that will ever be axed given there are plenty of people that don't pay for a satellite subscription service and still rely on terrestrial tv to watch the Premier League in some capacity.

MOTD still gets something like 7m viewers tune in over the course of a weekend and that is with the Premier League releasing 3min highlights of games half hour after it's ended.

• Administrator
Just now, Lucas said:

I don't think that will ever be axed given there are plenty of people that don't pay for a satellite subscription service and still rely on terrestrial tv to watch the Premier League in some capacity.

Dare I say it but I think digital subscriptions will soon replace terrestrial tv. The BBC is on it's last legs. I'd be surprised if it's still able to charge people a license fee before I croak. 

Archived