talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020/21 Europa League Qualifiers

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Machado said:

That made me chuckle a few times. Rio Ave bottled it.

The 'attempts' by the goalies were comical, in fact they both almost laughed at their awful attempt. 

7 hours ago, nudge said:

I'm glad that they are doing well with Thalhammer in charge. There was a lot of skepticism regarding his appointment, but it seems that they got someone who is happy to build on the already existing system that Glasner and Ismael successfully implemented before him, with minor changes to improve it instead of starting from scratch with his own new ideas. In this sense, I think all their manager changes worked out really well and didn't create any problems with continuity, and they are reaping the benefits now. What they managed to achieve in just a few years is nothing but a fairy tale.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I can never understand it when certain managers take over clubs that have been very successful the season before and proceed to completely change the tactics as well as the teams approach to the game. I think that if a team has been very successful with a certain way of playing, then even new managers should try to maintain that success by sticking to that successful blueprint or at least sticking to something that resembles it. Certain tweaks here and there by a new manager is not usually an issue, but wholesale changes in terms of formation, strategy and even player selections, always usually strike me as being a bit daft.

LASK have done well to keep most of their team intact from last season. Apart from losing Klauss and Freiser, they have managed to keep the rest of their key players at the club, which is an excellent feat considering the success they attained last season. They have also done well with their recruitment as they have brought in several youngsters with bright futures, such as Madsen, Cheberko and Karamoko. LASK are clearly a very well run club and I think that we can expect them to keep punching above their weight in Europe again this season.

6 hours ago, Machado said:

That made me chuckle a few times. Rio Ave bottled it.

I didn't watch the shoot-out, as a I went to bed. But it does sound like Rio Ave bottled it with the penalties, which is a real shame as it would have been nice to see them knockout a team like AC Milan.

• Administrator

That one that hit both posts for the Rio Ave player was deadly unfortunate. How unlucky can you get?!

There were some decent penalties to start off with though. 

On 01/10/2020 at 21:07, Eco said:

Yeah, I was surprised about the Rangers score...I would just assume that Galatasaray should be winning that quite comfortably. 

Classic American sport knowledge.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived