talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

World Starting XI - 2020

football forum

This thread might be a bit cliche but hear me out. Every year we are convinced that X player is the new best LB in the world, or that Suarez is no longer the best striker and instead now it's Lewandowski. Opinion's change fast and it could be due to form, decline in physique, finding limitations or more.

So what is your starting 11 in 2020? I'll do U23 and World.

World

Neuer

TAA - Thiago Silva - Van Dijk - Davies

Thiago - Veratti

Mbappe - Messi - Neymar

Lewandowski

Bench: Cristiano Ronaldo, Koulibaly, Robertson, Navas, De Bruyne, Cavani, Gueye, Muller

U23

Wuilker Fariñez

TAA - De Ligt - Upamecano - Davies

Tonali - De Jong

Szobozlai ------------------------------- Sancho

Mbappe - Haaland

Bench: Donnaruma, Vinicius Jr, Rodrygo Goes, Joe Gomez, Ruben Dias, Van de Beek, Lautaro Martinez, AWB

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice idea for a thread.

Oblak

TAA - Virgil - Ramos - Robertson

Kimmich - KDB

Mbappe - Messi - Ronaldo

Lewandowski

Probably the most comfortable time I've had creating an 11 in a while. I think only 2 positions were up for debate in my eyes. Oblak and Neuer were fairly close, but Oblak snatched it after his performance against us in the Champions League this year, and Ramos takes it over the likes of Varane/Koulibaly on the basis of his leadership qualities, comfort on the ball and goal contributions.

TAA is a comfortable choice for me, as is VVD. Davies over Robertson might be a conversation to have in a few years, but defensively I'm still not 100% convinced by him. The midfield pairing isn't the most balanced, but I'm not going to leave KDB out of a team like this. Thiago might've made it over Kimmich should he have been healthy all year. Front four I think speak for themselves.

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Mpache said:

World

Neuer

TAA - Thiago Silva - Van Dijk - Davies

Thiago - Veratti

Mbappe - Messi - Neymar

Lewandowski

Bench: Cristiano Ronaldo, Koulibaly, Robertson, Navas, De Bruyne, Cavani, Gueye, Muller

I didn't think Ben Davies was all that but each to their own.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Tepmz said:

Nice idea for a thread.

Oblak

TAA - Virgil - Ramos - Robertson

Kimmich - KDB

Mbappe - Messi - Ronaldo

Lewandowski

Probably the most comfortable time I've had creating an 11 in a while. I think only 2 positions were up for debate in my eyes. Oblak and Neuer were fairly close, but Oblak snatched it after his performance against us in the Champions League this year, and Ramos takes it over the likes of Varane/Koulibaly on the basis of his leadership qualities, comfort on the ball and goal contributions.

TAA is a comfortable choice for me, as is VVD. Davies over Robertson might be a conversation to have in a few years, but defensively I'm still not 100% convinced by him. The midfield pairing isn't the most balanced, but I'm not going to leave KDB out of a team like this. Thiago might've made it over Kimmich should he have been healthy all year. Front four I think speak for themselves.

Pretty much this for me, too. Maybe not have De Bruyne as deep but he has employed that play-making position often this season. Plus I think he's fairly under-rated for how much he actually tracks back in defensive positions. It's not what he's known for but he's dominating that midfield role in an attacking sense for sure. 

Agree with your reasons too for each. Davies/Robertson is probably the closest match-up.

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pretty much this for me, too. Maybe not have De Bruyne as deep but he has employed that play-making position often this season. Plus I think he's fairly under-rated for how much he actually tracks back in defensive positions. It's not what he's known for but he's dominating that midfield role in an attacking sense for sure. 

Agree with your reasons too for each. Davies/Robertson is probably the closest match-up.

Yeah, it was one of those where on paper the system didn't look too coherent but Messi is occupying the #10 role for me so I'd just let KDB hold a little deeper and spread the ball around from deep. In an actual game scenario, it would probably switch to a 3 at the back type system, with Kimmich dropping in between VVD/Ramos and my two fullbacks pushing higher up the pitch.

I won't pretend I've seen all that much of Davies over the course of the season, and he looked very good going forward in the Champions League, but there were a fair few occasions where he was all over the show in a positional sense. I know he's got the pace to cover for it in most circumstances, but I think if City had come up against Bayern, De Bruyne could've had a field day exploiting the gaps being left on the counter attack.

1 minute ago, Tepmz said:

I won't pretend I've seen all that much of Davies over the course of the season, and he looked very good going forward in the Champions League, but there were a fair few occasions where he was all over the show in a positional sense.

Yes, for sure. However he used to be a LW so this may just be an adjusting issue. I reckon he'll get a grip of it soon and have competent positioning, to the point where he can get away with it. Having Robertson instead though is extremely valid. The Scot is a stallion.

Never interested in these sort of things because it is dependent on the formation.
I think it is best to sort it out like this

Goalkeeper
Fullback
Centreback
Central Midfielder
Winger
Centre Forward

If you start splitting hairs too much, soon you'll be making differentiation between an attacking fullback and a defensive fullback, or a winger/attacking midfielder. You have to keep it simple.

I've a pretty limited scope when it comes to the game so I'll try and keep it to players I know I've seen a lot of, or at least players I appreciate a lot. It is very difficult because players are so well-rounded they often play more than one position.

Goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer
Fullback: Probably Dani Carvajal, but I do like Trent Alexander-Arnold quite a lot.
Centreback: Sergio Ramos
Central Midfielder: Kevin de Bruyne
Winger: Lionel Messi if he is played on the wings but otherwise I do quite like Bernardo Silva even though he plays in the central midfield at times.
Centre Forward: Lionel Messi (does he still play centre often enough?) if not him, then Robert Lewandowski

A lot of people are picking Ronaldo as a winger but he hasn't played on the wings in years, right?

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Spike said:

Never interested in these sort of things because it is dependent on the formation.
I think it is best to sort it out like this

Goalkeeper
Fullback
Centreback
Central Midfielder
Winger
Centre Forward

If you start splitting hairs too much, soon you'll be making differentiation between an attacking fullback and a defensive fullback, or a winger/attacking midfielder. You have to keep it simple.

@RandoEFC

46 minutes ago, Michael Varn said:

Great thread! But how about the starting 11 of all time. There are just a few players on this list that would be unanimous and undebateable:

Pele, Maradona, Beckenbauer, and Cruyff.

Beckenbauer could be debatable considering the style and formation you'd want to play. 

Cruyff as well.

----------------Oblack-----------------
TAA--Kouliaby--VVD--Davies
----KDB---Thiago----Veratti----

Di Maria---Lewa-----Messi

Mbappe is overhyped to the moon. mad to have him in IMO. He's just fast and better than average. Way worse than a Hazard, Bale, Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar ect just quicker. 

Neuer

TAA - Upamecano - VVD - Robertson

Thiago - KDB

Messi - Mueller - Ronaldo

Lewandowski

I think Mueller is being slept on a little - 8 goals and 21 assists in the league is insane.

Neuer

TAA - Van Dijk - Alaba - Davies

De Bruyne - Thiago 

Messi - Neymar - Ronaldo

Lewandowski

Difficult leaving Mane and Mbappe out, also think Di Maria and Mueller are two who have had incredible seasons. Benzema also deserves a shout for his season at Madrid. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Neuer

TAA - Van Dijk - Alaba - Davies

De Bruyne - Thiago 

Messi - Neymar - Ronaldo

Lewandowski

Difficult leaving Mane and Mbappe out, also think Di Maria and Mueller are two who have had incredible seasons. Benzema also deserves a shout for his season at Madrid. 

Good shout with Benzema actually. Quality season for him. 

Neuer

Kimmich -  Van Dijk  -  Upamecano - Alphonso Davies
                                                                                                                                De Bruyne- Goretzka

Neymar - Messi - Mbappe

Lewandowski

Substitutes: Oblak,  TA Arnold,  Thiago Silva, Alaba, Andy Robertson, Marquinhos, Frenkie de Jong, Thomas Mueller,  Havertz, Di Maria, Sadio Mane, Sancho, Haaland.                                                                  

Archived