talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Guendouzi seems to be doing just fine? We also still have Ampadu.

It's come to a point where Cesc's distribution isn't even worth it anymore given how poor he is off the ball. The memory of KDB ghosting past him to score against us at the bridge last season will never escape my mind. 

Coming off the bench though when we're chasing the game is a different context and would allow us to extract a lot from him still.

Just now, carefreeluke said:

Coming off the bench though when we're chasing the game is a different context and would allow us to extract a lot from him still.

Sarri will always opt for a player with end product vs another distributor when we are needing a goal. Seems to have a lot of trust in Barkley. 

• Upvote 1

Sarri has become the first Chelsea manager to be unbeaten in his first 10 games in charge. 

On another note, I feel that we are very fortunate to have both Barkley and Kovacic, as they each have their differences. Barkley looks to have far more end product whereas Kovacic has better defensive and transition ability (working well under pressure). 

Barkley better suited against teams that will sit back whereas Kovacic is better against teams that will likely press us. 

Edited by Cicero

I watched the game on a brilliant Sopcast stream (Thx Joe90cfc) and have watched what highlights have been available since the game.

Morata. For me that was his best performance in a Chelsea shirt. Yes I know he should have scored more than the one, but it must be highlighted his movement was outstanding throughout the game and when the ball was put into him while he had his back to the goal, for a change he held up play well. NewYorkBlue23, I know you have asked for patients on Morata, but even you must have been surprised by yesterday’s performance? Lets hope it continues.

Wow, best performance so far this season? I hear and have read what others have already said in this thread and I agree with those who are calling it, at least best away performance so far.

It’s always nice to call out Players who have good games when for most of the season they have been negative during their performances. That bloody bloke Willian Haha, How wonderful was he? Such a frustrating player who on his day, as yesterday, he can be brilliant. Happy for him and it must be noted he played on the left which allowed him to cut in on his right foot. Maybe the future if we end up selling someone.

Thanks to TheRealFatFrank StamfordSid Luca07071 & ChelseaTotty for the kind words on my highlighting of Barkley since pre season. It was his best game at Burnley so far and I truly hope he continues to get chances from this manager. After each game that Barkley plays well, Sarri talks glowingly about him, then promptly brings back Kovacic. Selection for the Derby game will be very interesting for both fans n players.

With so much good to enjoy it may have been overlooked the weakness our young keeper is showing in most games. I have stated before, anything down low, he looks to be fine. Anything above his head is dodgy. I agree with CroydonClive & Numb1Bus there is much to see that looks like the arrival games of De Gea up at United with our Keeper. During the MOTD highlights I felt the commentator had also spied the weakness. Lets hope he improves.

Yes I know I have not really been a big fan of Reuben Loftus-Cheek and without doubt he has had a career week these past 7 days. Plenty here are seizing their chance to talk him up. Ok I get that, but I have to point out, while the manager gave him the chance when a player he preferred went down with injury, he stuck Reuben Loftus-Cheek out the way on the wing where his atrocious defensive play could not hurt us and other than the goal he scored, most of the time you didnt know he was on the pitch. The previous manager wanted to turn him into a forward player, as he had no second side to his play, and this manager has been at pains to dress his big fault by saying he needs coaching. Everyone knows he hasn’t looked after his body as he should, since his size became not so much of a weapon against men than it was against his own age group. However, if we can read anything into the interviews he has given this past week, it sounds like the penny has at last dropped for him. He says he is eating properly and getting better sleep ect. If he turns into the player some believe him to be, all good for us. For me, I think I will wait before swinging my…. Well you know the rest  :)

Edited by The Liquidator

Cracking first half with two amusing own goals and our defenders all auditioning for the new Key Stone film. Met 3 Derby fans before the game who were pumped about the direction their club is following under Franks leadership. They played well too, much better than the numerous other Derby sides who have turned up n been stuffed at Stamford Bridge. They spoke glowingly of Mount and said Tomori tends to ball watch, but is getting better.

Reuben Loftus-Cheek played another fine match against lower opposition and I felt Fabregas turned in a solid display, very much in the roll this manager seems to like his midfielders to play. Willian started yet another game and didnt really get out of 2nd gear all the time he was on the pitch. I am glad I made the effort to go to the game. Frank got all he deserved from us all.

Good result if not the most convincing of performances, Bournemouth next.

Bakayoko is a mess. Long gone the confident and energetic player he was at Monaco. His touch is so appalling for a professional footballer. Even the Rossoneri are getting sick of him and want him shipped back to us. 

Genuinely feel sorry for the lad. Needs to go back to France to save his career. 

Have to admit I would like to see Zappacosta get more of a chance in the team. I think Azpi has been below his usual standards for the most part this season and I quite like Zappacosta's directness and let's have a go attitude. Not saying he should replace Azpi but Zappacosta at least deserves more of a chance given that he's done well in the games he's played.

Sarri likes to keep continuity with the back line though and part of the reason we saw Luiz and Azpi come on against Derby was the team's positioning, compactness and distances (something Zola alluded to after the game) were all over the place and the back four act as a foundation for these things. Hence it's one of the reasons I imagine Sarri likes to keep a lot of continuity with the back four that plays. The reason we can struggle at times defensively is simply that our pressing and distances aren't correct and this all comes under tactical play. That chance Nugent gets towards the end of the Derby game is a prime example of things going wrong in this regard, the defensive line is far too deep in relation to the rest of the team which gives Derby a lot of space. Control the game from a tactical point of view and we're fine.

I was at the game and have spent this morning watching a recording of Sky’s coverage, plus MOTD with our Ruud.

Have to say right off the bat I didn’t know who the bloke wearing the number 29 was until just before the final whistle, but then everything was revealed. In the few seconds it took him to get from the half way line to shooting it was amazed the number of wagers that were made among my fellow Chelsea fans sitting in my area. Alas, while I was proved right, nobody would cover the large amount I was offering. With all that said, he did play MUCH better and it much be pointed out, he didn’t cry the bitch aver 2 minutes when someone kicked him or lost possession of the ball. In my humble opinion, the latter is as big a step in the right direction as his football performance. Now I always say if I was at the game and which recordings I have watched. Most of the time I don’t take notice of pundits as most have the football intelligence of my last stool test. However, When I spied our Ruud in the studio, one perks, and he did not disappoint with some very interesting analysis of our number 29. He pretty much made the case that Morata was the player we needed and these past weeks have not been all his fault. In his opinion, our style of play, so called Sarriball is contributing to his poor performance. He showed plenty of examples of his thoughts and it helped he had yesterdays two goals to show as examples of whats needed. I try to be open minded on anyone lucky enough to pull our shirt on for a living, but I truly find it difficult to get past his running around his left foot (even thou he swung it for the second goal) and that so un-natural finish at the end of the game. The keeper was so far out of his goal, the correct finish was to run past him and pass it into the goal. With all that said I hope his better form of late continues.

Not sure where Luiz was going for the Palace goal? We were in full control of the game, but because of our weakness infront of goal putting away the many chances we create, one mistake or poor defending of our back line, we are becoming under the cosh by being pulled back. I was hoping we wouldn’t have to change from the bench as I felt sure the guys who started would have been good enough. True to form, the manager tinkered whenever our better players are on the bench and Hazard was stripped off and pushed into action. Not sure if the rumour is true Willian was pulled off as Barcalona representatives were waiting for him up in the stand? I am pretty sure it was AussieOssie who started that rumour off!

Talking of Willian, he had another good day which pretty much even outs his season for good and bad matches.

Had to laugh when one wag sitting close by our section exclaimed Pedro beats more players running towards our own goal than he does the other way. While there is a slice of truth in that, I am a fan of his and glad the Gut rot he was suffering from has left him quickly.

Away from the game I saw a interview Sarri gave in which he was asked the importance of Jorginho is to his style of play. I think we can be pretty safe to say the best holding midfielder in world football will never get to hold down the central roll for our club unless injury to Sarri fav player. The honesty in his assessment of Morata after the game and his use of the Italian word “abbastanza” when calling enough on TV interviews are both refreshing. I caught him telling James Richardson, he became a coach to continue his love for the game, not to become a TV star, when calling an end of another TV interview. That appeals more to me than his style of football, but I will suffer the latter if he WINS!

On the points raised by both Blue&Wine and Bazilfoolty, I agree the Police presence was more evident yesterday. Not sure if they were expecting trouble? Was for sure the biggest display of bodies they have offered for sometime.

Those of you off to Belarus ~ Play it safe!

On 03/11/2018 at 13:52, carefreeluke said:

Have to admit I would like to see Zappacosta get more of a chance in the team. I think Azpi has been below his usual standards for the most part this season and I quite like Zappacosta's directness and let's have a go attitude. Not saying he should replace Azpi but Zappacosta at least deserves more of a chance given that he's done well in the games he's played.

Sarri likes to keep continuity with the back line though and part of the reason we saw Luiz and Azpi come on against Derby was the team's positioning, compactness and distances (something Zola alluded to after the game) were all over the place and the back four act as a foundation for these things. Hence it's one of the reasons I imagine Sarri likes to keep a lot of continuity with the back four that plays. The reason we can struggle at times defensively is simply that our pressing and distances aren't correct and this all comes under tactical play. That chance Nugent gets towards the end of the Derby game is a prime example of things going wrong in this regard, the defensive line is far too deep in relation to the rest of the team which gives Derby a lot of space. Control the game from a tactical point of view and we're fine.

Not sure why so many have turned on Dave, but your thought on Zappacosta is one shared by quite a few. The manager has his fav back four which get aired in all the important games. For how long? I am not so sure. Dont think Gary will scare anyone just now, but Christenson could. Some of those transfer websites are saying we are putting out feelers for a number over defenders. We shall see

5 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

I was at the game and have spent this morning watching a recording of Sky’s coverage, plus MOTD with our Ruud.

Have to say right off the bat I didn’t know who the bloke wearing the number 29 was until just before the final whistle, but then everything was revealed. In the few seconds it took him to get from the half way line to shooting it was amazed the number of wagers that were made among my fellow Chelsea fans sitting in my area. Alas, while I was proved right, nobody would cover the large amount I was offering. With all that said, he did play MUCH better and it much be pointed out, he didn’t cry the bitch aver 2 minutes when someone kicked him or lost possession of the ball. In my humble opinion, the latter is as big a step in the right direction as his football performance. Now I always say if I was at the game and which recordings I have watched. Most of the time I don’t take notice of pundits as most have the football intelligence of my last stool test. However, When I spied our Ruud in the studio, one perks, and he did not disappoint with some very interesting analysis of our number 29. He pretty much made the case that Morata was the player we needed and these past weeks have not been all his fault. In his opinion, our style of play, so called Sarriball is contributing to his poor performance. He showed plenty of examples of his thoughts and it helped he had yesterdays two goals to show as examples of whats needed. I try to be open minded on anyone lucky enough to pull our shirt on for a living, but I truly find it difficult to get past his running around his left foot (even thou he swung it for the second goal) and that so un-natural finish at the end of the game. The keeper was so far out of his goal, the correct finish was to run past him and pass it into the goal. With all that said I hope his better form of late continues.

Not sure where Luiz was going for the Palace goal? We were in full control of the game, but because of our weakness infront of goal putting away the many chances we create, one mistake or poor defending of our back line, we are becoming under the cosh by being pulled back. I was hoping we wouldn’t have to change from the bench as I felt sure the guys who started would have been good enough. True to form, the manager tinkered whenever our better players are on the bench and Hazard was stripped off and pushed into action. Not sure if the rumour is true Willian was pulled off as Barcalona representatives were waiting for him up in the stand? I am pretty sure it was AussieOssie who started that rumour off!

Talking of Willian, he had another good day which pretty much even outs his season for good and bad matches.

Had to laugh when one wag sitting close by our section exclaimed Pedro beats more players running towards our own goal than he does the other way. While there is a slice of truth in that, I am a fan of his and glad the Gut rot he was suffering from has left him quickly.

Away from the game I saw a interview Sarri gave in which he was asked the importance of Jorginho is to his style of play. I think we can be pretty safe to say the best holding midfielder in world football will never get to hold down the central roll for our club unless injury to Sarri fav player. The honesty in his assessment of Morata after the game and his use of the Italian word “abbastanza” when calling enough on TV interviews are both refreshing. I caught him telling James Richardson, he became a coach to continue his love for the game, not to become a TV star, when calling an end of another TV interview. That appeals more to me than his style of football, but I will suffer the latter if he WINS!

On the points raised by both Blue&Wine and Bazilfoolty, I agree the Police presence was more evident yesterday. Not sure if they were expecting trouble? Was for sure the biggest display of bodies they have offered for sometime.

Those of you off to Belarus ~ Play it safe!

I must add this is my posting elsewhere, copied and paste here.

5 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Not sure why so many have turned on Dave, but your thought on Zappacosta is one shared by quite a few. The manager has his fav back four which get aired in all the important games. For how long? I am not so sure. Dont think Gary will scare anyone just now, but Christenson could. Some of those transfer websites are saying we are putting out feelers for a number over defenders. We shall see

Azpi has been poor defensively for me this season especially in the first few months, he has improved in this department recently though. He is also limited in attack whereas Zappacosta offers more here. I'm not Zappacosta's biggest advocate but he's impressed me in the little he's played this season and at least he commits players and looks to make things happen. Azpi has that cross from deep and that's about it. I'm not asking for him to be replaced but just to see Zappacosta get more of a chance to see what he can do which I think his performances deserve this season.

Edited by carefreeluke

I am Dave's biggest fan, however i feel in certain games Zappacosta should get a run in, not just in the Europa League. I blame the defensive issues that Dave had this season onto the fact that he has been so switched around in the past seasons at the back. He adapted to left back, right back, center back and now right back again. Think he will be fine this season.

It's providing width that's the biggest issue for me. Too many times when Kante has the ball, Dave just stands there vs overlapping and making a run. We then have to recycle every damn time. 

That being said, having a full back that can attack and defend, is a rarity these days. 

Its a strange thing going on with Dave and for me its a matchday thing. Most Chelsea stand up for him in conversation and opinions, but on a Home matchday there are those who give him a hard time. As I have said before, I have no idea why. I dont think he is playing any worse than he has in the past. I would say he may have lost a little pace against speedsters, but on the whole he has been our Dave, fully dependable.

Meanwhile David Luiz gets away with murder with his adventures out to the touchline and venturing further forward than Jorginho :D

• Upvote 1

I'm one of Luiz's biggest defenders but he's been mostly poor (perhaps inconsistent is a better word) this season although I have seen him in the past play well in a back four for a significant period. We get a lot of rhythm from our centre backs which I can imagine is one of the reasons why Sarri likes him, everyone plays their part in setting the tempo but Jorginho and the central defenders play a more significant role when in possession. Reminds me of the West Ham game when our centre backs were poor in this area and the difference it made on the team:

On 23/09/2018 at 16:31, carefreeluke said:

Wasn’t massively impressed with West Ham either, we had them struggling in the first 20 minutes because we played with good tempo, we stopped playing at the right pace and mentality and after that and it was a lot easier for them. Rudiger taking about 55 touches on the ball was one of the many examples of our poor quality on the ball today. The tempo today will piss Sarri off the most as it’s one of the key things he demands most and one of the essential parts of what makes his teams work. 

Luiz and Rudiger were sublime at this against Palace last weekend.

Rudiger I have to say has gone onto another level this season with his performances, not the best defender in the league but he's definitely sitting at the table with the best centre backs this league has to offer. Seems to also have got rid of that erratic and over aggressive side that was apparent in his game earlier in his Chelsea career as well.

Edited by carefreeluke