talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

Ever so poor last night. It was thou the boys didnt want to be there. I suppose we should be pleased that we have escaped the group with the minimal effort we seemed to have put in, but I hope the lackluster performance does not run into Sundays game where a much higher level or play will be needed. Everton are starting to get it together so I am expecting a good close game. As far as the Europa, for me there is no excuse now for the manager not to start with our young guys in both games. Up to now his none selection, or at least early introduction from the bench, of the youngsters is one of the things that pains me in his leadership. The other thing about the Europa is the clubs who could be dropping into the competition from failing in the CL. It's almost making me switch channels to watch the CL.

Alvaro Morata says he is "happier than ever" at Chelsea after seeking the help of a psychologist.

He told Spanish newspaper ABC: "I had never thought about training the mind, really. When a player hears the word psychologist at the first, you are taken aback, but I realised that I needed help.

"At first, I was a bit embarrassed to talk to the psychologist and tell him all my problems and with the help of everyone I have managed to recover happiness in football.

"This summer I said to myself once or twice that I wanted to go to a team where I would be happy again, without pressure.

"Now I am happier than ever at Chelsea and happier than ever in the national team even if it is not my best moment on the pitch."

Loves a chat during the international break. Anyway, surprised this didn't happen sooner to be honest with you. I can't of course claim to know Morata personally but judging by all the interviews and things I've read about him over the years, the mental side of his game is one of his biggest issues. Credit to him for seeking help.

Edited by carefreeluke

He only got 20 in a season once in his career, his average is 12-15 which is poor. At 26 years he should be in his prime years. I had a lot of time for Morata, rarely pilling shit on him, but if he doesn't step up this season i don't think we should start him next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the game and suffered a recording of the game.

Thanks to those who have mentioned how right I have been reading what was ahead for our team under Sarri. I would rather have been wrong, but what our manager now says “Everyone can now see our weakness” I saw on our pre season tour. The question that should be asked, why the fuck is the manager still continuing to play our weaknesses when he states he has known about them pretty much into the new season.

Strange words too in the fact he states the staff have not been happy with the attitude of the players for a number of games? Call me old fashioned, but isn’t it down to him to get them up for games? Although, if they cant get up for Spurs, then we have something seriously wrong.

While I thought Saturdays performance was as poor as any poor game under any of the other managers, it must be said not getting that penalty in the first half to make it 1-1, had a huge baring on the game. Now I fully agree with others, even if we got that, the performance wouldn’t have been good enough to get anything from the game, but the opposition was Spurs who are as soft as shit. There is every chance our worst performance may have been good enough if the wind had been taken out of their sails. With that said, their coach out coached ours, who again we might highlight the alarming words of those who know his past…. One trick pony.

The third goal was the most painful as we saw Son running back with Jorginho who looked like he was carrying a freezer from Iceland on his back. You have to wonder what Kante was thinking of his team mates efforts?

Bazilfoolty WalterDavis & Lemoncfc and others have questioned the managers starting selection for the game and I cant think of anything to defend him. When it was announced Willian was starting yet again, I was walking into the stadium. There was no mistaking the meaning of the Chelsea fans noise to that news. For me Barkley was a shoe-in for the game, yet the bloke who does nothing other than look pretty in the middle left side  of the pitch was back in. While I cant be as forth right as ChelseaTotty & 7OaksCFC on Jorginho, but when our manager says in the after game presser, "It was difficult to use Jorginho as usual." THERE IT IS IN A NUTSHELL! So why did you continue trying to do just that? It’s as thou he too can see what is wrong, but for some reason he wont change, or as I am fearing, does not have the ability to change his one style of play to help the team. Id even go as far as to say, change it for the better now, until you have the right players at the club to play your way! I truly think there is so much upside to this team which can flourish given time and good management. My question is, is it in Sarri to bring that out into the open?

How many of you remember back in 2005 when we played 433 with Makelele in the Jorginho position? Teams started to mark Makelele, pressure him, much like how both Everton n Spurs have done in the last two games. Jorginho isn’t Pirlo, you cant give him the ball with pressure all around him. He is fine with small easy passes with no pressure. Jose then played Drogba more often and the ball into him came a more evident way of play for us. I feel Giroud might have been a big help Saturday. Shame the manager waited till almost the end of the game to try that?

Anyway, a painful afternoon, but he should be noted, they have spanked us before in the league, but their Trophy room is still as empty as ever.

Hey, I got through this without mentioning Morata! Duh!

Edited by The Liquidator

Actually it was a true stat, against Spurs his challenge on Kane led to a goal, and Son sent him into a new dimension for the third. I would hate to get Christensen out but Luiz needs to be benched.

I think Luiz and Jorginho have something on Sarri, both can't be dropped.

Happy for Odoi's first goal for the club last night, plus added an assist in an excellent performance. I feel just like Ruben and the rest of the academy players he will find happiness elsewhere as we are well known as a club that promotes youth and starts academy players.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek should be starting the next 5-8 matches, he deserves a good run in the team like Barkley and Kovacic before him. Allow Ruben the time like the other two had to get use to the role as I feel his potential is a lot more than what I believe Barkley and Kovacic can offer.

And Palace assistant coach Ray Lewington, who has more than 30 years of experience in coaching, has made a big claim about the England international.

"There are some good players at this club, and unfortunately we lost an absolute superstar in Ruben Loftus-Cheek," the former Chelsea midfielder told fans at a meeting of the Crystal Palace Supporters' Trust when analysing how the Eagles turned things around last season.

"He is one of the best players I have ever worked with.

"I didn't know how good he was until I got here, and I didn't really know how good he was after the first four or five games.

"But after that, it started to click with him, once he was told what his job was and he just started to grow, and he got stronger and quicker.

"By the end of it, he was a world class player by the time he finished with us."

Watched the game on BT last night and it has to be said the standard of opposition in our group has been well below average. Its very difficult to take much notice of our players performances if we take into account the opposition. Many people are talking up the players who have excelled in these games where's I prefer to see our starting 11 which tells you the only reason they are starting. The opposition are no more than Championship standard.

Happy for Odi. Always nice for one of our own gets a goal, but I agree with the manager (One of the VERY few things I agree with him) the boy needs to improve all throughout his game. There is no doubt there is a player in him, but he would be a passenger at league level. Ruben looks good as ever in bully games. Close your eyes and think of him in the starting team against Spurs and you see the real him. @carefreeluke states its time he gets a run of games. I would rather Barkley or Christensen get that before Ruben and Pedro should get in over Willian for a few games too. Where would Ruben Fit? The other guy who needs to get a run of games is Giroud. He really benefited from Cesc last night and I would like to see him start most of the games in December. Cesc was really good, as he is when given all the time in the world by a side down to 10 within 10mins. As it was said by Glenn Hoddle a while back, its a tragedy Cesc's legs have gone at the age of 31. 

It must be said I think the media are setting up our manager. They are already pinpointing Kante signing a huge 5 year contract and him not being played in his best position. That's pretty much a no brainer, but when you have the BT girl after the game suggesting to the manager playing his fav player and Kante as a two among other things, and him batting it off as his fav player cant play in a two and thinking about his previous comments of late, you have to start to think he is fully aware whats going on. His damning words on Kante's performance against Tottenham is a huge worry for us and for me again underlines his reputation of being a one trick Pony. Our position is now plain. The manager admitted opposition teams have decided to pressure\sussed Jorginho and we can no longer you him as he does.

It's up too the manager to solve this..... It's that simple.

I agree with @True Blue on Kovačić performances of late. He has become a nonentity in his deep role. @True Blue is also right to highlight the great performance of Tammy up in Birmingham. 4 goals in a game, no matter the level is always a great achievement.

• Upvote 1

We started well against Fulham, but overall we did just enough to get the points. Kepa had two very good saves which would see Fulham go level. With the introduction of Ruben we were better going forward and he delivered yet again. There is no way to ignore his performances now. Kovačić has to be dropped as he isn't performing well enough. Personally even Cesc needs a chance ahead of Jorginho. Ruben and Ross did more than enough to start, at some point i'd try Kante with Ruben and Ross ahead of him. Jorginho is undroppable for Sarri, i hope in time i see what he brings to this team. In the end we got the three points, we have a midweek game against Wolverhampton and then City in which i think we will be smashed. Not because of City being on form, just the fact that in this system teams that attack us get results.

I was at Stamford Bridge for the Fulham game and watched a recording of the game this morning. Best said early, I wish I hadn’t bothered attending as it was a poor game.

There really isn’t much to say about our teams performance against Fulham other than we were poor for most of the game. Our keeper should be credited with the win over the draw Fulham could quite easily gained from their high press performance. If nothing else it was good practise for the City game coming next weekend as Ranieri had his players all over our midfield forcing Luiz to be the outman from the back where he more often or not pushed the ball through to our forward players who only kept possession around 40-50% of the time. While our defenders managed to keep hold of the ball while being forced to play keepball from pretty much our goal line, you could sense the crowd were none too confident we would get through the 90mins without a mishap.

The question of Jorginho’s importance to us now the managers tactics have been sussed is something anyone with an ounce of football intelligence is very interested to see what happens. I was a bit far from our bench during the game to hear Sarri, but those closer have said he was in Jorginho’s ear all of the first half telling him to move about to release himself from his marker. Kovacic was his normal nonentity and should have been removed from the pitch much earlier. To be frank, it was insulting to the other players that he started. Remember, he isn’t our player.

Congrats to Reuben Loftus-Cheek. It was a perfect game for him to be introduced. Inferior opposition who were committed to find a equalizer. A couple of good moments of him moving forward with the ball always catches the eye of those who believe him to be the full shilling. We can feel sure the only reason he got the outing is because Barkley is carrying a knock.

@carefreeluke pointed out on this board to watch Alonso’s first half performance to see what is wrong with his play and I have to say it’s a fair example of him at his weakest. Interesting he got pulled by the manager. It seems like it’s the kiss of death for anyone who signs a new contract with this manager.

“Jorginho is undroppable for Sarri”, never a truer word could be said by @True Blue. I agree its about time Fabregas gets a go in that position, something I feel sure @carefreelukewould agree with.

Fingers crossed for a good Sopcast stream for the Wolves game and hot breaking news we have Forest at home in the FA Cup!

• Upvote 1

Alonso is another one that could benefit from a bench spot, Emerson is in no way that much worse than him. This season we have a big squad and we are well covered especially in the midfield. Sarri rotates heavily in the Europa League i will give him that and in the League Cup, however in the Premiership our back four started all 14 games? (not sure about this stat). Some players aren't droppable which i don't like to see, same thing was with Conte. For Wolves tomorrow i hope to see Ruben start.

One of the richest clubs in the world, and we have two strikers who cant score. Two wingers over 30 that are predictable. Two fullbacks that cant beat a man or put in a cross. 

This all goes back to the board and that disaster 2017 transfer window.