talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

On 05/08/2018 at 20:43, carefreeluke said:

It's a worry for me this season, Azpilicueta at right back. It wouldn't massively surprise me if he ended up doing very well there given the type of guy he is but it has to be he's most difficult season for Chelsea so far. 

I said this about Azpilicueta at the start of the season as well..

Even tough i am an Azpilicueta fan boy, considering how many shit performers we had this season even at his worst season at the club he isn't in the top five from bellow. I don't he has been poor in every game just didn't find a constant form like in his previous years. Good defender but offers nothing to very little going forward. His crosses usually find the first defender and even if they pass the first player they aren't useful. Think he has his best season in the back three as a center back and when he pushed Ashley Cole out of his natural position.

As much as Dave has deteriorated before our eyes this season its has to be said the whole team are as low in performance levels as I can remember over the past Twenty years.

We are playing a back four and two left wing backs on the staff covering the left back position. It's pretty universally agreed Alonso is a poor defender and when playing in a back four he loses the majority of his best play, going forward. Emerson is a fucking useless defender, who could never break even on his good against bad on performance.

The manager hasnt once tried Dave at left back this season. He used to do a good turn there a couple of seasons ago and a change of position again might help regain some better performances. Personally, if the manager was going to be as Pig Headed as he has proven so far this season, I would have preferred he used Jay Dasilva. I have seen a lot of the boy over the years and he by far a better defensive player than either of the two wing backs we have covering the position and of course, Dasilva is one of ours.

Anyways, the almost violent anti Sarri feeling among traveling Chelsea fans shown Sunday, again, & coupled with the pretty much universal backlash on Chelsea boards since, one can only feel he is hanging by the Europa thread.

Then Sky Sources tease us with possible moves to be made after high level talks at Stamford Bridge Monday.

I aint holding my breath!

• Subscriber

Speculation over Hazard and Sarri – and Times say Ratcliffe still eyeing takeover

By West London Sport 19/03/2019

There remains speculation over the futures of Eden Hazard and Maurizio Sarri – and 

Roman Abramovich’s ownership of Chelsea.

A number of newspapers, including The Sun and the Daily Express have picked on a story by the Daily Record, which claimed that Chelsea have rejected an initial offer for Hazard from Real Madrid.

The Times say billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who has been linked with a takeover of Chelsea and is expected to complete a takeover of cycling outfit Team Sky, is still interested in buying the Blues from Abramovich.

Ratcliffe is said to have baulked at a £2.5bn asking price but is reportedly still keen.

As for Sarri, there are more reports that he is closed to being axed.

The Daily Mirror declare that the head coach’s position “is under fresh scrutiny” in the wake of Sunday’s defeat at Everton.

And the Daily Mail say Sarri faces the sack but that Chelsea are worried the transfer ban imposed by Fifa will affect their appointment of a replacement.

Meanwhile, Bournemouth want to sign Mason Mount on loan from Chelsea for next season, according to The Sun.

Mount has impressed while on loan with Championship side Derby County this season.

The Sun say the Cherries are keen on him but that Chelsea could decide to keep the young midfielder because of the transfer ban and the possibility of again being in the Europa League, which the club’s youngsters have featured in.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/football-bournemouth-mason-mount-sarri-ratcliffe-190319

We are on course to miss out on Champions League football for the 3rd time in 4 years, whilst still being one of the highest spending clubs in world football. That is frankly unacceptable.

Massive change is needed. 

Edited by Cicero

• Subscriber

Still think you have to give Sarri the time to make that massive change. Must be frustrating as hell at the moment but he was brought in to do something that's impossible with what he's been given.

If the board want him gone already it's their fucking fault in the first place for signing a philosophy manager to take over a club and turning them into something completely different, then sacking him after one season because he doesn't get instant results when you've only been able to get him 2 or 3 players that can help achieve what he's looking to do. It's literally ridiculous if you look past the simplistic logic of "recent results aren't very good so it's the manager's responsibility".

Not saying the manager is faultless. Picking Alonso is stupid enough on its own. I just don't see Chelsea achieving much by sacking him and going back to someone who can coax a top four season out of these players to paper over the cracks for a bit longer because if they do that, what a waste this season has been and what are they going to be five years from now?

17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Still think you have to give Sarri the time to make that massive change. Must be frustrating as hell at the moment but he was brought in to do something that's impossible with what he's been given.

If the board want him gone already it's their fucking fault in the first place for signing a philosophy manager to take over a club and turning them into something completely different, then sacking him after one season because he doesn't get instant results when you've only been able to get him 2 or 3 players that can help achieve what he's looking to do. It's literally ridiculous if you look past the simplistic logic of "recent results aren't very good so it's the manager's responsibility".

Not saying the manager is faultless. Picking Alonso is stupid enough on its own. I just don't see Chelsea achieving much by sacking him and going back to someone who can coax a top four season out of these players to paper over the cracks for a bit longer because if they do that, what a waste this season has been and what are they going to be five years from now?

I think the problem is that Chelsea have had so much success with someone coming in to paper over the cracks... but they've now lost that core group of players that were part of those very great Chelsea sides - players like Terry, Fat Frank, Makelele, etc... They've still got a good group of players, but I don't think they've got the same leadership qualities as those core group of players - nor do they have the character to turn things around when things don't look great at the club.

And the board at Chelsea has done a lot to create a very toxic culture at the club. Because what they've got now are a group of mostly good players (because you don't win the league 2 years ago and keep most of the same players and just suddenly look hopeless), but they've got serious motivational problems and they clearly know that if things look bad at the club and tough for the manager... they can be the end of that manager, all they have to do is continue to not give a fuck.

I agree that they need to give Sarri more time if they're actually serious about giving him a chance to make Chelsea a club that plays fluid attacking football. I think Chelsea need to clean house at the top though - the people above the manager have been appalling at their jobs. But after over 10 years of short term planning taking centre stage and neglecting long term planning... I'm not sure that's going to happen at the club. But they need to have a board and a director of football that are working towards long term goals for the club - they're no longer the richest club in the league and they're no longer the only club that can splash serious cash - they've got no long term direction. Even their excellent youth program is just being used for short term purposes, to loan on young kids and sell them on at a profit to fund other first team signings. Look at the top players they've let go that are now at rival clubs ahead of them in the league.

That's really the first thing Chelsea need. A real long term plan to work towards. That's not saying they need to neglect short term goals - but expecting to simply buy success in this day and age requires both short term and long term planning. Especially when there's another oil club in the league that's richer, run a lot better on and off the pitch, that's got players that are part of one of the most historically significant title winning sides in the league's history (because they did just break the points total). But that means Chelsea need to operate more like an actual football club rather than a billionaires plaything - it means an adjustment of expectations at the board level... and probably for the fans too. Because Chelsea fans got a bit spoiled in the last 10 years with sustained success in the league (winning it multiple times, used to always qualify for the CL) and in Europe (2 CL finals, 1 CL victory, and a Europa League) and other domestic trophies - and in the recent past, sacking a manager and a quick change has worked out.

The next thing that happens after Chelsea do come up with an actual long term plan (if that ever happens) is selling toxic players and breaking up dressing room cliques. IMO, Chelsea have a lot of these toxic players - anyone with any sort of "leadership" role at Chelsea that didn't haul Kepa off the pitch after that refusal to be subbed off, like Azpilicueta (the supposed captain) would be on my list of players to go, regardless of how good they might be (Azpilicueta is a pretty good player, but that was unacceptable from a captain). Players that are clearly not good enough, like Alonso, Zappacosta, and Morata, also need to go. No point in keeping them around paying Chelsea wages for players that are dogshite. And then wantaway players, like Hazard, I think should probably be shipped out because when you've got a culture of players downing tools to get a quick manager sacking don't need the added distraction of their best player constantly going to the Belgian media and begging Real Madrid to sign him.

That's a bit harsh on Hazard, because despite his dickhead teammates, I think he's one of the few players at Chelsea that hasn't looked like they don't give a fuck. But a massive clearout is needed. Then the manager and DOF need to work together to sign the right types of players to meet those long term goals first and foremost - more of those promising kids at Chelsea should be given a chance in squad roles.

Granted, none of this is really realistic with a transfer ban looming over the club's head. But that transfer ban comes again from them breaking rules to sign young players... for their youth team that they hardly use to supplement their first team; which would infuriate me as a Chelsea fan, but is a mildly amusing fact if you're not a Chelsea fan... it's just an example of how the people above the manager at Chelsea either don't plan for the long term or they are all reading off different pages of the plan and aren't working together to push Chelsea forward.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think the problem is that Chelsea have had so much success with someone coming in to paper over the cracks... but they've now lost that core group of players that were part of those very great Chelsea sides - players like Terry, Fat Frank, Makelele, etc... They've still got a good group of players, but I don't think they've got the same leadership qualities as those core group of players - nor do they have the character to turn things around when things don't look great at the club.

And the board at Chelsea has done a lot to create a very toxic culture at the club. Because what they've got now are a group of mostly good players (because you don't win the league 2 years ago and keep most of the same players and just suddenly look hopeless), but they've got serious motivational problems and they clearly know that if things look bad at the club and tough for the manager... they can be the end of that manager, all they have to do is continue to not give a fuck.

I agree that they need to give Sarri more time if they're actually serious about giving him a chance to make Chelsea a club that plays fluid attacking football. I think Chelsea need to clean house at the top though - the people above the manager have been appalling at their jobs. But after over 10 years of short term planning taking centre stage and neglecting long term planning... I'm not sure that's going to happen at the club. But they need to have a board and a director of football that are working towards long term goals for the club - they're no longer the richest club in the league and they're no longer the only club that can splash serious cash - they've got no long term direction. Even their excellent youth program is just being used for short term purposes, to loan on young kids and sell them on at a profit to fund other first team signings. Look at the top players they've let go that are now at rival clubs ahead of them in the league.

That's really the first thing Chelsea need. A real long term plan to work towards. That's not saying they need to neglect short term goals - but expecting to simply buy success in this day and age requires both short term and long term planning. Especially when there's another oil club in the league that's richer, run a lot better on and off the pitch, that's got players that are part of one of the most historically significant title winning sides in the league's history (because they did just break the points total). But that means Chelsea need to operate more like an actual football club rather than a billionaires plaything - it means an adjustment of expectations at the board level... and probably for the fans too. Because Chelsea fans got a bit spoiled in the last 10 years with sustained success in the league (winning it multiple times, used to always qualify for the CL) and in Europe (2 CL finals, 1 CL victory, and a Europa League) and other domestic trophies - and in the recent past, sacking a manager and a quick change has worked out.

The next thing that happens after Chelsea do come up with an actual long term plan (if that ever happens) is selling toxic players and breaking up dressing room cliques. IMO, Chelsea have a lot of these toxic players - anyone with any sort of "leadership" role at Chelsea that didn't haul Kepa off the pitch after that refusal to be subbed off, like Azpilicueta (the supposed captain) would be on my list of players to go, regardless of how good they might be (Azpilicueta is a pretty good player, but that was unacceptable from a captain). Players that are clearly not good enough, like Alonso, Zappacosta, and Morata, also need to go. No point in keeping them around paying Chelsea wages for players that are dogshite. And then wantaway players, like Hazard, I think should probably be shipped out because when you've got a culture of players downing tools to get a quick manager sacking don't need the added distraction of their best player constantly going to the Belgian media and begging Real Madrid to sign him.

That's a bit harsh on Hazard, because despite his dickhead teammates, I think he's one of the few players at Chelsea that hasn't looked like they don't give a fuck. But a massive clearout is needed. Then the manager and DOF need to work together to sign the right types of players to meet those long term goals first and foremost - more of those promising kids at Chelsea should be given a chance in squad roles.

Granted, none of this is really realistic with a transfer ban looming over the club's head. But that transfer ban comes again from them breaking rules to sign young players... for their youth team that they hardly use to supplement their first team; which would infuriate me as a Chelsea fan, but is a mildly amusing fact if you're not a Chelsea fan... it's just an example of how the people above the manager at Chelsea either don't plan for the long term or they are all reading off different pages of the plan and aren't working together to push Chelsea forward.

@SirBalon Use your own account!

• Haha 1

Thing with CHO, is that he has the signs of a very productive player. He always looks to beat a man a shoot. With his pace, he can lose a man quite easily. 

Letting him go could top Salah and KDB, just because unlike those two we know CHO’s ceiling is high. 

Heading too a new low, it took Willian to dance infront of the eyes of a linesman and injury time winner to save face. A face I am sure was universally embarrassed, even after the game  on all Chelsea fans world over. There is no doubt of the feelings of our traveling fans.

I notice elsewhere at this board on another thread Chelsea fans laying blame at the players feet for yesterdays performance. Simply Amazing!

U17 Ecuadorian talent Johan Mina is on his way to Chelsea so it seems.

He's the top scorer of the tournament and has done well so far. Since the tournament is played here, I'll likely go to see him later!

Sarri apparently starting Odoi tomorrow after all, with Alonso being out injured. Kante and Eden also to start, we must win our next two as i think we have the hardest run in and that we will miss the top four. Europa League should be our main goal, but as we are playing i fear we will play in it again next season.

21 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I would drop Rudiger for a while. Far, far too rash. 

We win tonight and against West ham, hopefully it gives them the motivation for this final run of tough fixtures. 

I imagine it’s solely because of his physicality that Sarri prefers him given the nature of this league. If Christensen was bigger, I’d bet he’d be starting instead. 

Sarri’s mentioned that Alonso helps the team because of his height as well. Funny because I’d say Alonso’s stature hinders us more than anything.

Edited by carefreeluke

Brighton were poor opposition last night and their fans should be very worried where their season ends when our also poor side can toy with them.

For me the most important thing to re-surface last night was the rumour that was banding about the ground that the club will have new owner by next season. It's been obvious too all regular home fans that Roman does not attend games this season. We know the Gov removed his permission, but he seemed to have found a way with a different passport. It's now April and still no show.

Who the interested parties are, are currently a mystery, but we can be sure it will be someone with Challenger Deep pockets. Up too 4 different people\groups are said to have made contact with his people? We shall see.

The above might help explain why the manager is still in position.

-----------------------------------------

Nice that CHO got his full debut at home. He played ok. Does all you would expect of a young player. For everything good, he gives the ball away twice! Still, there is obviously a wonderful player to come to fruition over the coming years. I'll be taking his Chelsea career with a pinch of salt after the Munich affair which has become evident his family were behind. I am still to forgive Ruben for pretty much the same.

CHO's versatility is what gives me hope for the lad. He can be a very productive player in the final third. 

If he's on the left, he will always look to cut in, beat a player with his pace, then take a shot. If on the right, he will stay wide and provide the team some width, take a player on then put in a cross (as we saw last night)

His defensive work also shouldn't go unnoticed as well. Did a lot of the donkey work given Azpilicueta had a mare last night.