talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Chelsea have 1 point more than last season. If Sarri can keep that sort of progress up they'll win the title again in around 27 years time :ph34r:

Twenty-seven is better than ninety-two! I'll take it.

• Haha 1

On 04/05/2019 at 00:47, carefreeluke said:

Jorginho was class on Thursday, Ruben as well. Ruben I thought was a bit poor defensively in that he didn't really press with enough intensity off the ball but in general he's made progress defensively this season. I would genuinely go as far as saying Ruben is in our top three performers this season. 

Credit where do, he also did more defensively. Jorginho also had a few good balls against Watford that could resulted in a goal. 

The Watford performance was poor in the first half and excellent in the second. They are a very opened side which allows us a lot of space. The 3-0 seem's a bit unfair as they certainly should have got at least one goal. However i will take it we secured top for, and now we can focus on the semi and potential final.

Tottenham Arsenal and Manchester United my humble thanks to you for allowing my club to slip through the back door and into the CL next season. We dont deserve it, but gratefully accept the entrance. We will need much help, from lifting of transfer ban to a weak group to progress, but it's better than the Thursday cup again!

Congratulations to Sarri too. I think the brains of Chelsea fans would say we have finished top four dispite the manager who has done his best to change us into Arsenal, but it wont say that on his record.

The game: Watford tore us a new one during the first half and if truth was told could have been a couple ahead. The loss of Kante allowed Reuben Loftus-Cheek too enter the game. I am sure Sarri was smiling inside as he can now start a player he feels has better control over the ball. Watford ran past our midfield from the first whistle. They high pressed and we struggled to move the ball out from the back. It was as thou they were making a point. Taking the blue print of how to stop us this season and showing they too could boss us. The loss of Kante replaced by Ruben so early didnt help and Pedro was forced way back during that 1st half. Jorginho and Kovcic were their normal nonentity's, while Alonso got through the half with more luck than judgement. 2nd half a couple of decent crosses from exiting Eden and we are 2 up n wondering what all the 1st half fuss was about?

One of the guys sitting in front of me said after the Luiz goal it was as thou Watford flicked the switch at half time remembering they had a cup final in a couple of weeks and stopped trying.

Well its not that simple, but there is no doubt they did not run around in a high press as hard as they did in the 1st half. We did play better, Ruben excelling with the freedom he found and Eden being who he is. However, 3-0 truly wasnt a true reflection of the game.

That description could also describe our finishing top 4 LOL

It should not surprise anyone that Gary Cahill has added his voice to the others who have spoken out against the manager. Keeping his feeling to himself till almost the end of his contract is being praised, but we here at this board have known about the ill feeling towards the manager from many in the squad for sometime. O'Rodger1 wrote here over Christmas, listing both Fabregas and Cahill as senior players who had both voiced against the manager. With Cahill's weekend interview, both players have now come out and made public what O'Rodger1 wrote. I tip my hat to you mate and I hope those who spoke against you at the time are big enough to write a word in your favour. We will be watching.

From a personal point of view Brighton gaining a point at the new Highbury saves me traveling to Leicester next weekend and I finish off the season in the Thursday cup. It's a season I hope to forget quickly and a bigger hope the manager is moved on. 84% on a Chelsea only board against a manager is huge, but if he was promised his job if he made the top 4, I expect he will still be around.

On that 84% ~ As the players walked around the pitch after the game taking in the applause of us fans, the manager was no where to be seen. It's the first time I can remember a manager no show at the end of a season. Even Rafa took a stroll.

Says it all.

We were lucky against Watford, on another day we could have been 2 or 3 goals down in the first half. Nothing changed second half other than the fact that we finally matched their intensity and work rate, worry being was why it took us that long to start doing that considering what we had to play for. 

We had a decent second half whilst still allowing Watford some decent chances. Watford were very impressive and show how you don't just have to go away to the bigger teams and 'park the bus'.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

We were lucky against Watford, on another day we could have been 2 or 3 goals down in the first half. Nothing changed second half other than the fact that we finally matched their intensity and work rate, worry being was why it took us that long to start doing that considering what we had to play for. 

We had a decent second half whilst still allowing Watford some decent chances. Watford were very impressive and show how you don't just have to go away to the bigger teams and 'park the bus'.

Totally agree on both points, It's been our downfall in a few games this season where we had chance to solidify our position and threw it away with lack lustre performances.. It is a worry when the team are not giving it 100% 

Saw the highlights and they had us on the ropes for periods in that game where I was really unsure how they managed not to score.. 3-0 flattered us

Edited by Bluewolf

We finish 3rd, we get Pot 2 in the Champions League. 

We win the Europa league, we get Pot 1. 

Top 4 and a trophy was always the goal. We have a chance of achieving that so it's quite amusing seeing people wanting him gone. 

We must now wait in limbo to see the outcome of the transfer ban. Going to be one bloody write off of a season if the ban holds. 

Cheers for everything  Gazza :congrats:

Gary-Cahill.jpg

290B225300000578-3096636-Gary_Cahill_hol

33bc5c402a5e9a23437ce2446a6f1027

Edited by Cicero

Slated often by our fans, for 7 mill a model professional and won it all with us. Part of the UCL winning team against Bayern etc. Wish him all the best he will be remembered for his contribution to the club during eight year stay.

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

We finish 3rd, we get Pot 2 in the Champions League. 

We win the Europa league, we get Pot 1. 

Top 4 and a trophy was always the goal. We have a chance of achieving that so it's quite amusing seeing people wanting him gone. 

We must now wait in limbo to see the outcome of the transfer ban. Going to be one bloody write off of a season if the ban holds. 

Cheers for everything  Gazza 

Nobody actually cares about the Pots in Champs League draws.

Its all rigged, anyway.

• Confused 1

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Ban upheld.

1901655403_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.aee2474cbc8f7986293de614bf396ef0.png

Chelsea transfer ban: Fifa rejects Premier League club's appeal

Chelsea have lost their appeal against Fifa's decision to ban them from signing players during the next two transfer windows.

The only change to the terms of the ban is that the Premier League club can sign under-16 players from the UK during the suspension period.

Fifa took action against the Blues after an investigation into their signing of foreign under-18 players.

Chelsea can now appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48202945

Don't think this would hit us that badly if it was a season, while two are a problem. This also means we will probably use this summer to test our 150 players on loan, and use some of them as new signings. Doubt that Court of Arbitration for Sport can do much against FIFA. Youth will get a chance hopefully to be fair could be a blessing in disguise.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Youth will get a chance hopefully to be fair could be a blessing in disguise

About time to be fair.

When you see how well Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi have been playing it really does give faith that there are some really good players with lots of potential in their youth squads or out on loan. 

Would be like being chucked in the deep end for some youngsters to play a whole season though.

Having said that, some loan players could still do some kind of job in the league:

Batshuayi, Morata (20/21 season), Abraham, Pulisic, Baker, Zouma, Bakayoko who have more experience than just a youth player off the top of my head.

Replacing Hazard is always going to be difficult even without a transfer ban. 

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

About time to be fair.

When you see how well Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi have been playing it really does give faith that there are some really good players with lots of potential in their youth squads or out on loan. 

Would be like being chucked in the deep end for some youngsters to play a whole season though.

Having said that, some loan players could still do some kind of job in the league:

Batshuayi, Morata (20/21 season), Abraham, Pulisic, Baker, Zouma, Bakayoko who have more experience than just a youth player off the top of my head.

Replacing Hazard is always going to be difficult even without a transfer ban. 

Yeah potential in the loaned, at least 10 could be given a chance if they fit the bill. We also have Ampadu and Van Ginkel who are long term injuries. I wouldn't be too worried if this was a single season, but with two it could be tricky.

They were always going to reject the appeal. Our best chance is to take it to the CAS. But even then I'm not optimistic. 

Funny though. FIFA are punishing us because we were signing underage footballers, yet they are still allowing us to sign underage footballers. Mental. O.o

James for sure can make an impact with us. Still question marks over Mount and Tammy.

The Chelsea captain was given an ovation at Stamford Bridge on Sunday

Gary has received criticism over the years but he has always been appreciated by Chelsea fans. At his best, he plays in the tier below the top centre backs in Europe, a good player but not the best which explains why he has at times come under scrutiny during his time with us. Just because criticism exists, it doesn't mean there's not appreciation though. He has had some big performances for us over the years, in big games which shows he's not fully out of place on the big stage and that he can belong there. I remember some colossal performances in finals, in big league/cup matches and in the Champions League in particular which will always be remembered fondly by me and other Chelsea fans. He's a typical Premier League defender, he's great at last ditch stuff, defending the area and also very dangerous in the opposition box which is something I miss especially when you compare him in this department to Rudiger, Luiz, and Christensen who are all dreadful really at this, particularly attacking the opposition box aerially. 

Cahill's best seasons were under Mourinho and Conte in their title-winning seasons and he's been a great squad player over the years and also a reliable starter in certain seasons (like in those title-winning seasons mentioned). The criticism purely comes from the fact that he's not in that top tier band of centre backs and I have to admit I think the criticism he has received during his time with us is justified. His denunciation was more prevalent in times in which he was a regular starter or after mistakes. An example of how the criticism manifested itself, was in 2014/15, he was taken out of the team about halfway through for Zouma because of poor form and it took him a good while to win his place back, Cahill was mostly very good that season but his limitations were definitely on show at times which would remind you perhaps of his true level. The criticism came out perhaps more at times because for periods we had this overreliance on him, an overreliance on a player who wasn't in that top tier of centre backs and the fact that we didn't have another central defender who was in that league already or someone who looked to have the potential to get there. Then suddenly Zouma came on the scene, someone who excited the fans, someone who quickly became a fans' favourite, someone who added pace to a slow back line and more importantly (with time) looked to have the potential to reach that league of top centre backs.

Don't get me wrong, Cahill had performances of the highest level, just he wasn't that level regularly enough nor did he look capable of reaching that top tier. We got everything out of him really which is all you can ask for. He was definitely consistent mind, an overall evaluation of 'very good' and someone who will be remembered fondly by me and Chelsea fans. Thank you, Gary, you've definitely worked hard and achieved a lot.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Funny though. FIFA are punishing us because we were signing underage footballers, yet they are still allowing us to sign underage footballers. Mental. O.o

Isn't it how you've signed them, though, not just the fact that you were?

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

Isn't it how you've signed them, though, not just the fact that you were?

Think it was because we were buying U-18 footballers from different continents, when the rules strictly stated both clubs need to be a part of the EU. 

Still, the fact they are still allowing us to sign U-18 footballers but not senior players, is mental. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

What happens if there’s an Arsenal/Chelsea EL final now one of you is guaranteed top 4? Will you both be given a CL spot?

Chelsea are already guaranteed CL as they're in top 4. 

If Arsenal beat Chelsea in final, they'll qualify for CL so just means there'll be 5 English teams in competition.

And if that happens, only 2 teams allowed in EL next season - Man Utd already being one of them:

• Watford qualify if they beat Man City in FA Cup
  • Wolves qualify by finishing 7th if Man City beat Watford in the Cup.