talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber

1016522183_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.6bd620d0a8cc393a1d2c34d9132a8a84.png

Frank Lampard: Chelsea not approached Derby County, says chairman Mel Morris

Chelsea are yet to approach Derby County about the availability of their manager Frank Lampard, says Rams chairman Mel Morris.

Lampard, 40, is the favourite to replace Maurizio Sarri as Chelsea boss after the Italian left Stamford Bridge to take charge of Juventus.

BBC Sport reported on Sunday that the Rams had opened talks over a new deal with the former England midfielder.

Lampard led Derby to the Championship play-off final last season.

"We have made it very clear to everyone, but most importantly to Frank, that we want to retain Frank for the long term," said Morris.

"If Chelsea wants to hire Frank, then it is in their gift to make an offer in pursuit of that.

"In the meantime, we will continue to put our best foot forward to continue with our plans for the coming season and work with Frank for him to know how much he is wanted by everyone associated with the club."

Lampard won three Premier League titles and the Champions League as a Chelsea player, in addition to becoming the club's all-time top scorer with 211.

His first season in management culminated in defeat by Aston Villa in the play-off final at Wembley last month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48661952

• Subscriber

Not sure if this should be in the Chelsea thread as it's not a player transfer? Admin/Mods do your bit if you must. :ay:

1377186716_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.0f9073a8da500db09faafcf5435eced6.png

Derby manager Frank Lampard is set to meet Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich on his yacht to talk about succeeding Maurizio Sarri as the Blues' boss. (Sun)

Chelsea wants to offer 40-year-old Lampard a three-year-deal to become the manager at Stamford Bridge. (ESPN)

John Terry is among the candidates to become Derby County manager if Frank Lampard joins Chelsea this summer. (Mail)

Edited by CaaC (John)
Spacing correction

17 hours ago, Cicero said:

Winning trophies every season papers over the cracks for our thick board. 

It will eventually stop and then the trouble arrives. Also a month away from our first pre season friendly. We have no manager and the transfer ban is obviously going to remain.

• Subscriber

1625313870_DONTDELETE.thumb.png.b94cf62dc556949d6929db6e3a94c9e3.png

Chelsea expect to agree Frank Lampard deal this week with new manager set for a three-year contract

Chelsea are hoping to conclude negotiations to make Frank Lampard their new manager by the end of the week.

Lampard is the club’s first choice to succeed Maurizio Sarri and they want to have him in place as soon as possible.

Derby, who will demand £4m in compensation to release Lampard, continue to insist they have yet to be approached by the Blues.

But it is believed to be only a matter of time as Chelsea are prepared to give their former midfielder a three-year contract.

Lampard has been away on holiday in France, but as revealed by Standard Sport earlier in the week, he has already informed Derby of his desire to join Chelsea if the opportunity arises.

The Championship club have been drawing up a shortlist of possible replacements, although claim that they’re still working on giving Lampard an extension on his current terms. He has two years of his current agreement left to run and Derby say they are ignoring approaches from potential candidates over the job.

But Chelsea are sure Lampard wants to be their next coach and become part of a new set-up that will also include Petr Cech in a technical director role.

The west London club wants to avoid a repeat of last year when Sarri took over from Antonio Conte after pre-season had already begun.

Those players not involved in international duty earlier this month are due to report back in a few weeks and Chelsea want Lampard to have plenty of time to prepare for the new campaign.

Sarri asked to leave Chelsea for Juventus after the club won the Europa League Final against Arsenal at the end of May and he is going to be officially unveiled by the Serie A champions at a press conference on Thursday.

The Italian came in for a lot of criticism from Chelsea fans during his one season in charge, but as well as lifting a trophy, also secured a third-place finish in the Premier League.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/chelsea-expect-to-agree-frank-lampard-deal-this-week-with-new-manager-set-for-threeyear-contract-a4170686.html?

37 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Should be a clause in Lampard's contract that he can come on for the last 10 minutes for late runs in the box to score a classic Lampard winner. 

Probably twice the player even now comparing our current midfield.

45 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Are you genuinely shocked? Every ex player that arrives will be an yes man. Why wouldn't they? Easy job and a good pay.

So more Drinkwater's, more Zappacosta's, more Bakayoko's, and more short term planning then? No real vision.

But hey, let's put Cech's face in front of the mess so the fans will stop blaming Marina :coffee:

Anyway, Welcome back big Pete! 

Edited by Cicero

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

I am not unhappy, i just don't want cunts to shit over him if he doesn't bring instant success.

I will be honest and say I think it's too early for him to be taking that job... I can understand why they would want him and also why he would want the job given his connection to the club but we all know how this club operates... he will be put to the sword if things don't go well for him and he will not be spared anything... I think he did quite well at Derby but it's early days for him in Management and the last thing I want to see is him face the possible humiliation of getting the sack which unless he turns into the next Ferguson in the first 6 months is all but assured at some point... 

He could not have taken over at a worse time for the club.. A transfer ban in place which means no new players plus we have just sold Hazard who has undoubtedly been our most influential player in recent seasons to Madrid..  he has certainly got his work cut out for him if he does take the job.. I don't believe that he will get any stick from the fans regardless of results because anyone with a modicum of common sense will know what he up against and because he still learning.. 

On the plus side he knows full well how the club operate so hopefully he will have his eyes wide open despite whatever assurances from the club he may be given.. The other aspect is of course the transfer ban, never will there ever be a better time for some of our younger players to make a name for themselves and become part of the future of the club something I believe he will be happy to support.. 

As long as people don't expect instant success in his first season then all well and good, let's see what he can do with what he has and let's not forget that as a player the CL is no stranger to him but as a Manager it's unknown territory so expect that to be a bit of a mixed bag..  

With the greatest respect to Chelsea and Lampard, whilst I understand the transfer ban isn't ideal for a new manager, you'd like to think that with around 30 odd players returning to the club from loans, at least three or four will have the quality to contribute to the squad given a shot.

Chelsea have talent, they just need to nurture it better and that is one of Lampard's strengths. It's not as horrendous a position as it's made out to be frank. 

Edited by Lucas

21 minutes ago, Lucas said:

With the greatest respect to Chelsea and Lampard, whilst I understand the transfer ban isn't ideal for a new manager, you'd like to think that with around 30 odd players returning to the club from loans, at least three or four will have the quality to contribute to the squad given a shot.

Chelsea have talent, they just need to nurture it better and that is one of Lampard's strengths. It's not as horrendous a position as it's made out to be frank. 

Think that will be the case mate, at least 5+ players could improve or be decent cover for the current team. The rest will either be sold which started happening all the sudden, either being loaned out again. If given time think he could be a success, but i know our fans and Roman as soon as we start losing it will be over for him. I can also understand Lampard for accepting the role, but with his reputation in the club he could perhaps arrange something with Roman.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

If that pool of talent is utilised and allowed to gain experience then no it's not, we have said for a long, long time now that there is little point in having all that talent if they never get a chance to play and just get loaned out all the time then sold on... If Lampard is able to cherry pick from all the available players at his disposal it could be a very interesting season but if he is going to get told who he can and can't have by someone else but just get on with it regardless then that's a different matter... 

Sadly the club seems to be built around instant success which normally means buying in proven/experienced talent from elsewhere before giving our own youth product a chance to shine but this will be one of those unique seasons where that pool of players/youth will be more important than ever but lets not kid ourselves about him being in a difficult position because he will be.. Youth takes time to gain experience, players need time to gel and time and patience are just two of those valuable items that the club don't ever seem willing to exercise to any degree...  

• Upvote 1

If the owner and board assure Lampard and Morris that they are going to be here for 2-3 years no matter what happens and that they have heavy instruction from above to utilise the youth players, I would be over the moon. Of course, if there's no sign of progress in those years or good evidence starts to emerge that Lampard isn't the right fit, then that's life and we can look elsewhere. The key in this appointment is the content of the talks he's had or having with the club beforehand.

• Upvote 2