talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Barkley has put more good performances in preseason than the entirety of last season. 

Think he’s first name on the team sheet against United 

He's looked very good indeed.

You can see some of Mourinho's influence has rubbed off on Lampard. Lampard's always talked about how Mourinho played a big part in helping him become the player he was through man management and psychology (if you like), telling him how he good he was and Mourinho's role helped act as a catalyst for making Frank one of the best midfielders in the world. You can see similarities, Lampard so far has bigged the players up at any opportunity. The rhetoric with Conte and Sarri and the players was 'he's good but needs to improve', Lampard in most cases has just focused on the positives. Even with Kanté Conte and Sarri mentioned that he needed to improve, with Lampard on the other hand, it's been a different approach. I'm not saying one or the other is right but it's interesting to note the difference.

Who knows Lampard could finally bring out the best in Barkley but I for one can't help but think it's another false dawn. Let's hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

He's looked very good indeed.

You can see some of Mourinho's influence has rubbed off on Lampard. Lampard's always talked about how Mourinho played a big part in helping him become the player he was through man management and psychology (if you like), telling him how he good he was and Mourinho's role helped act as a catalyst for making Frank one of the best midfielders in the world. You can see similarities, Lampard so far has bigged the players up at any opportunity. The rhetoric with Conte and Sarri and the players was 'he's good but needs to improve', Lampard in most cases has just focused on the positives. Even with Kanté Conte and Sarri mentioned that he needed to improve, with Lampard on the other hand, it's been a different approach. I'm not saying one or the other is right but it's interesting to note the difference.

Who knows Lampard could finally bring out the best in Barkley but I for one can't help but think it's another false dawn. Let's hope I'm wrong.

If the best is brought out in Barkley, that's massive for you... and for England. I think me and the Everton lads have said it on here before, he's got all the raw attributes to be one hell of a midfielder. It's just the mental parts of his playstyle - his positioning, his decision making - that have let him down and not let him be consistently good for both Everton and Chelsea.

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If the best is brought out in Barkley, that's massive for you... and for England. I think me and the Everton lads have said it on here before, he's got all the raw attributes to be one hell of a midfielder. It's just the mental parts of his playstyle - his positioning, his decision making - that have let him down and not let him be consistently good for both Everton and Chelsea.

He seems to be playing with more freedom which he’s mentioned himself. Sarri wanted him to do specific things in the role he played which I thought could potentially get the best out of him as it would help simplify his game. Lampard seems to be giving him a different role and ideas, let’s see what happens.

You’d be foolish to get carried away though I guess.

Edited by carefreeluke

• Subscriber

Barkley won't be a revelation this season. Under no pressure in a bunch of friendlies with a manager putting his arm around him then sure, all of his raw talent will flourish and he'll look a world beater.

Soon as he has a bad game or has any reason to doubt himself then he'll go missing for a couple of months and the cycle will reset. Even if he's excellent for a full season, which he just about managed when Martinez came to Everton and put his arm around him, told him to express himself, play with freedom, plenty more cliches where that came from, then as soon as the team lost momentum he hid from the ball for 18 months. It never lasts with Barkley. Unless Lampard has a new brain that he can stick between the lads ears for him, Ross Barkley is Ross Barkley.

2-0 down at half time against Monchengladbach... 

They have been quicker, sharper and are showing more purpose closing the ball down than we have.. been second best all half, had a period of pressure but lacked any composure to finish off... I can just see that this season we are going to be reliant on scoring more than the opposition because we sure can't defend for shit... 

Monchengladbach started the game better, were more up for it and we took about 20-25 minutes to start playing. From that point, we played well though and could have had about six goals on another day. Worries still remain about our defending, hopefully, Kanté coming back will help matters.

9 hours ago, Cicero said:

Surprisingly, if preseason has anything to go by, we won’t struggle to create chances. 

Movement looks a lot better, I did however read that Derby struggled at times to break teams (who sat back) down last season so let's see. 

Need to work on defending as a unit and sort out our defending at set-pieces. The defending as a unit thing is something Sarri had problems with as well early on, took him and the team nearly half a season to sort it out. Let's hope it doesn't take that long this time around.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

Movement looks a lot better, I did however read that Derby struggled at times to break teams (who sat back) down last season so let's see. 

Difficult when you have Nugent and Waghorn as strikers :P 

On 04/08/2019 at 03:29, Cicero said:

Surprisingly, if preseason has anything to go by, we won’t struggle to create chances. 

Yes and the system looks more fluid. The attacking midfielders Mount or Barkley got a lot of goals and were pushing forward and creating chances for the wingers and strikers. Enjoyed that we scored a lot of goals and with a lot of different players getting on the score sheet. The defense is a slight worry, but in competitive matches the level of commitment will be far far higher. Big tests against United and Liverpool in a space of three days if we start of badly the media will be ridding us early on. From what i've seen under Frank i am super excited for the new season.

Hope you all are enjoying the Summer break.

Have to say the club have done wonderfully well getting rid off and receiving money for the dead as he stood manager and replacing it with a club legend who should reunite Owner Board Game going fans and the hangers on who follow from their TV n Computer screens. Maria did not lift a finger in trying to keep hold of the smelly Italian leaving no doubt of his future without Juventus.

Thrilled for Frank. Funniest thing I heard so far this close season? Frank being asked when being revealed as Chelsea manager, "Do you know what Kante's best position is?" his answer was met with roaring laughter from all at the presser, including both Maria & Petr.

Very interesting both Jorginho and Kovacic (who benefited from our transfer ban and injury to Ruben to stay at the club) have distanced themselves from the smelly one. Both have highlighted the exciting times ahead with the younger players coming through. Kinda surprised me. We will see how the latter fairs without Hazard to pass too and the former out of the middle when Kante is available?

Whatever Mount signed for, wont be enough once details of the contract Transfer seeking CHO gets. Mount has been the starlet of the youth system since he was around the 12-13 mark and from what I have seen this pre-season has strong claims to play from the start.

Pulisic looks like he can do some damage to high line defences. I am yet to be convinced he will produce much against a packed defence, but happy to allow him the chance to acclimatise. Got my fingers crossed for Barkley. I have always felt there is a very good goal scoring midfielder in him.

Left back position hasn’t been fixed with Dasilva being offloaded to Bristol City. Two wing backs will continue the cover the position which I am sure will targeted again this season. Reece James is said to be right back in waiting. Once his leg is sorted out maybe Dave will switch flanks?

The CH’s have been a bit keystone cops this pre season. I am of the opinion Zouma is the best defender (until Rudiger is fit), but the least comfortable on the ball. At Reading the buzz around the ground (When we at last got in) was Tomori could end up back at Derby. I think of the young players in the first team squad, he is most likely to end up elsewhere.

Anyway, really looking forward too the season. Happy with choice of manager. Enjoyed his pre- season tactics. 17th or better is fine for his first season. He is one of us!

Lastly, all the exciting fan pleasing moves the club have made has pleased me bar one. Franco Zola has left the club. Depending on who you believe at the club and in the media who cover our club, Franco was a gallstone away from being made manager following the Bournemouth n City away games. Feel for him.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Lastly, all the exciting fan pleasing moves the club have made has pleased me bar one. Franco Zola has left the club. Depending on who you believe at the club and in the media who cover our club, Franco was a gallstone away from being made manager following the Bournemouth n City away games. Feel for him.

I think you should consider that a blessing irrespective of the fact he's Chelsea.

Don't think Zola has really shown much other than nearly getting Watford promoted in the Championship one year.

Other than that, it's been a car crash for him. 

Positive of Luiz leaving is that it means there will be a lot more game time for Christensen and Zouma. Both at the moment you would say have their drawbacks but the potential in both of them is exciting. Providing everything goes well at 23 and 24 I would like to think they could be our starting centre backs for the significant future. They need to both iron out some things in their games but with a good amount of game time, you'd hope they'd come on a lot and be able to form a decent partnership. Rudiger's still recovering so the start of the season is a good opportunity for them both to hit it off and stake a claim to be the starters for the rest of the season. The Christensen and Zouma partnership excites me and I'd prefer them both to Rudiger provided that they show improvements where necessary. This is a massive season for them.