talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Could be a blessing in disguise to be honest. 

Absolutely! Chelsea are actually becoming much more likeable now they have a manager that isn't a prick, who is trying to develop youth, rather than one who is under so much pressure to win trophies. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

Absolutely! Chelsea are actually becoming much more likeable now they have a manager that isn't a prick, who is trying to develop youth, rather than one who is under so much pressure to win trophies. 

Couldn't agree more.

I've always held Lampard in high regard really - seems genuinely likeable and while he won't be brash or aggressive, he'll still say what needs to be said and not really beat around the bush about anything so far.

Can't ever knock trying to develop youth as well. 

• Upvote 1

James to be available after the international break. 

We’ve been so fortunate in how quickly they’ve managed to recover. Both CHO and Ruben were initially reported to be out until 2020. CHO looking to be ready soon and Ruben by October 

Are you sure about that James information mate? Haven't seen him train in any of the sessions. Agreed in the recovery time, CHO already training while Rudiger played a full game. Ruben back in two months time. Don't remember having a "injury crisis" in a long long time.

6 hours ago, True Blue said:

Are you sure about that James information mate? Haven't seen him train in any of the sessions. Agreed in the recovery time, CHO already training while Rudiger played a full game. Ruben back in two months time. Don't remember having a "injury crisis" in a long long time.

Read something he’d be back by then. Also don’t think we would’ve sold Zappacosta if it weren’t the case  

• Upvote 1

Norwich away, home game for me.

If we are going to get that level of entertainment this season, its going to live long into our memories. Very happy for Tammy who’s two goals were wonderful, only to be spoilt by the Chelsea twat sitting next too me who remarked this was his level… Championship in reference to Norwich. It wasn’t till I watched the BT coverage where Crouch and our Joe talked up Norwich that I felt a little better again about Tammy’s performance, although to be honest, I didn’t think Norwich are as safe this season as those two young pundits have you believe, so maybe there is some truth in what the Chelsea twat said.

The more I think about and re-watch the game its becomes increasingly difficult to gage the performance. We were pretty and moved the ball far quicker than at anytime last season manufacturing many chances. We were also frightenly open weak through the middle defensively and probably have our weakest back four this century.

Kante wasn’t missed at all. The forward five were all very good, word for Kovacic who was outstanding and completely knackered come the end of the game. Really put a shift in both defensively and carrying the ball forward. His performance was one of the few I have felt he earnt his money. I think we have a player in Pulisic. He needs time to develop his body as he is lightweight and ends up on the floor far too often, but I think we will see better of him next season.

Jorginho was a complete waste of space defensively. Buendía ran away from him for the first goal, spinning away leaving him on his ass and the same Norwich player became as elusive as Maddison the week before to Jorginho, setting up the second goal. EVERYONE knows how we can improve defensively. It’s going to be interesting to see how long it takes for the penny to drop for Frank.

Before during and after the game I saw and spoke to many Chelsea friends from over the distant years (as you do at away games) and the topic of conversation being, this season feels like being Chelsea before Roman. Difficult to explain to the many fans we have gained since he took over the club, but those of us who were around when we were “shit” for want of a better description, never knew how a result would turn out, saw our hopes built around a youth system, often young players injected into the first 11, maybe 1 or 2 years too soon and our fingers crossed we would escape a relegation battle. Our youngest starting 11 for 25 years playing exciting attacking football, leading pegged back not once but twice then our young CF scoring a cracking winner sending us all home (well to a watering hole) ecstatic with how the result turned out. Made this Chelsea silly old sod, “football feel” something I’ve missed for too long.
  • Upvote 2

Agreed with both on Jorginho, only thing is that i don't like both Mateo and Jorginho starting. Maybe is a one off game but i don't see them doing well together. Obviously with Kante we will have several options to rotate. Don't think anyone was poor against Norwich, we did concede two goals that could be easily avoided but things are very promising. If we tighten at the back we will be a team that you don't want to play against. 

On 26/08/2019 at 11:57, The Liquidator said:

Norwich away, home game for me.

If we are going to get that level of entertainment this season, its going to live long into our memories. Very happy for Tammy who’s two goals were wonderful, only to be spoilt by the Chelsea twat sitting next too me who remarked this was his level… Championship in reference to Norwich. It wasn’t till I watched the BT coverage where Crouch and our Joe talked up Norwich that I felt a little better again about Tammy’s performance, although to be honest, I didn’t think Norwich are as safe this season as those two young pundits have you believe, so maybe there is some truth in what the Chelsea twat said.

The more I think about and re-watch the game its becomes increasingly difficult to gage the performance. We were pretty and moved the ball far quicker than at anytime last season manufacturing many chances. We were also frightenly open weak through the middle defensively and probably have our weakest back four this century.

Kante wasn’t missed at all. The forward five were all very good, word for Kovacic who was outstanding and completely knackered come the end of the game. Really put a shift in both defensively and carrying the ball forward. His performance was one of the few I have felt he earnt his money. I think we have a player in Pulisic. He needs time to develop his body as he is lightweight and ends up on the floor far too often, but I think we will see better of him next season.

Jorginho was a complete waste of space defensively. Buendía ran away from him for the first goal, spinning away leaving him on his ass and the same Norwich player became as elusive as Maddison the week before to Jorginho, setting up the second goal. EVERYONE knows how we can improve defensively. It’s going to be interesting to see how long it takes for the penny to drop for Frank.

Before during and after the game I saw and spoke to many Chelsea friends from over the distant years (as you do at away games) and the topic of conversation being, this season feels like being Chelsea before Roman. Difficult to explain to the many fans we have gained since he took over the club, but those of us who were around when we were “shit” for want of a better description, never knew how a result would turn out, saw our hopes built around a youth system, often young players injected into the first 11, maybe 1 or 2 years too soon and our fingers crossed we would escape a relegation battle. Our youngest starting 11 for 25 years playing exciting attacking football, leading pegged back not once but twice then our young CF scoring a cracking winner sending us all home (well to a watering hole) ecstatic with how the result turned out. Made this Chelsea silly old sod, “football feel” something I’ve missed for too long.

One of my work mates is Chelsea. Season ticket holder in the Shed and goes to a few aways. He was there Saturday. We had a similar discussion.

I said it the other week and I'll say it again. As a neutral, for me, I find you extremely watchable again.

You have that youthful, exuberance about you, exciting to watch. More of a rawness because these younger lads are gelling and being let loose.

You've been too used to having players bought for the here and now to achieve short term success. There is a pressure on you to win a cup each year because of the money you have.

Now your hands are tied, it's a little bit like you have a 'free' season, to give something different a go.

Ok, yes there is a bit of naivety at times, but you can allow for that. What I would say is that the younger guys are taking it all in their stride. You can visibly see the belief they have given to them from Lampard and his team. Confidence will play a huge part in this team. 

There is no reliance on Hazard anymore and yet they are making chances from all sides of the pitch.

And as you said, before Roman, you were kind of like an Everton. Up and down in the league, loved a cup run but that was it.

The expectancy levels are not as high. People generally do not know what to expect from you, how you'll cope. Makes you an unknown quantity which is exciting. Feels a lot more realistic.

Seeing this again will naturally be very reminiscent, it's like you have got your soul back. A weight off your shoulders almost.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Luke made a good point about Hazard. He slowed our play down in the final third, but he made up for it with his creative brilliance. 

We’ve been playing quicker football without him 

Also we look wayyyy more less predictable. As we are a threat from more positions and from more players with that.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Luke made a good point about Hazard. He slowed our play down in the final third, but he made up for it with his creative brilliance. 

We’ve been playing quicker football without him 

He also doesn't really press that well which isn't necessarily great either particularly taking into account the way Lampard likes his teams to play. Sarri did get more out of him in that regard and I did notice him adapting and doing more pressing under the Italian but still the levels of intensity weren't great. His relatively low work rate in terms of pressing was in part one of the reasons he was used up front at times under previous managers. It would be interesting to see Hazard work under Pep or Klopp for example because I think he would have to adapt his game, of course, a lot of players have to change but that would be an interesting watch Hazard working under them.

Hazard's attacking threat though seriously outweighs anything else and there is no doubt we miss him. I think Hazard would have had a field day given some of the space, chances, and game situations we've faced so far this season and I have imagined more than once what damage he would have done. We move on though and I'm excited about the young players we have.

As for slowing down play in the final third, like you said Hazard could get away with it. There is one player in the current squad who is even worse at it and that's Willian who of course doesn't have the high level of effective attacking output that Hazard had. The constant stopping or slowing down the ball to wait for the opposition player to dive in is Willian in a nutshell. Stand Willian up and he's fucked, to be honest.

Edited by carefreeluke
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Tammy and James expected to get new contracts similar to Mount. 

CHO still a mystery. Reported he’d sign a new contract weeks ago 

James signed a 4 year contract last season. Tammy reported to double his 50k wages, think a bit too early.

1 minute ago, True Blue said:

James signed a 4 year contract last season. Tammy reported to double his 50k wages, think a bit too early.

I agree. His 2nd against Norwich was his first ever goal outside the box. The way he took players on, I never knew he had that in his locker. Looked a tap in merchant in the championship. 

Confidence doing him a world of good 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cicero said:

I agree. His 2nd against Norwich was his first ever goal outside the box. The way he took players on, I never knew he had that in his locker. Looked a tap in merchant in the championship. 

Confidence doing him a world of good 

Yes Lampard putting him again basically showed he believes in him. Could have easily taken the secure option and start Giroud. Even if we lost people would say it's okay he didn't gamble. If we lost with Tammy again starting media and our faithful fans would be on his back.

Now that is worked he is in the okay books.