talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

Unconvincing performance but the correct result for the club. Norwich are very weak, lucky for us and didn’t really offer anything going forward. They were helped by another clueless starting line up from our young manager. At least he got the Center forward right from the start this time, although Giroud missed plenty of chances to make the game far more of a stroll than it turned out to be.

Appreciate I must sound like a broken record on this subject, but judging by both internet football media sites & feedback left here since the Jorginho suspension and his re-introduction to the starting line up after the two preferred players injuries, even those who don’t get it are at last seeing the light. The passenger has been roasted after two games where his play has been exposed after seeing others play in that role in a far quicker and effective manor. As I have said since almost the start of his Chelsea career, he is a passenger in the team and for me, when more robust physical teams get at us he often leaves us 10 v 11 from the word go. Sheffield United is a perfect example of this.

However, last nights game illuminated something which I think is going to ruffle more feathers of those unfortunate Jorginho lovers.

Kovacic and Jorginho should never start games together. For me, I believe Jorginho brings Kovacic down a level or two. The short repetitive nothing passes between the two which more often or not pins us down on the left hand side of the pitch handicaps our fluent play. Without Jorginho, Kovacic isn’t as close to the other players and is forced to be more expansive with his play. I thought last nights midfield was as weak as we have offered all season and sure did nothing through the minutes they were together to dispel that. For me, I would have asked Kovacic to play in the middle flanked by Mount and Barkley who both cover far more ground & move the ball quicker. As much as I want to be positive about our Ruben, for me he isn’t back to the level where he should get a starting birth in games we need to win.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just be aware those who still nail their bollocks to the passenger are having their football knowledge exposed in the most amusing manor. I look forward to having a beer n banter with you once we all get together again.

So we went into the game saddled with a huge Anchor dragging around the pitch at Championship level allowing Norwich to still be in the game at the final whistle. Yet again its down to Frank and my two hopes for the summer are we get a left footed CH comfortable on the ball n physical enough to stand our league football and Frank learns enough to stop making poor judgements on line-up and formations. Our central defenders last night had absolutely nothing to do but still managed to look like a couple of three legged clowns without a left peg between them.

I am not exactly sure what going to happen ChelseaTotty. Through my season ticket and other tickets I have purchased for away fixtures my loyalty total is high so if it does become 1 seat in four or whatever guidelines are made the rule I am hopeful I will get in.

On 15/07/2020 at 22:49, Danny said:

Next season has to be Frank makes a good go of the title or he gets the sack right? With the players coming in a title challenge should be the minimum requirement?

He will have had his Mulligan season where truth be said he has done better than most imagined. He is a bright boy and will know more will be expected of the team next. Losing his position will be determined by how long we are still going for the main pot. His standing with the club will count for a lot, however the list of potential replacements will be longer than normal if the alleged young squad is put together by the end of the summer window.

Well done Frank. It’s about time something went his way. While United may have got positive results in the previous 3 fixtures, it wasn’t by their performances on the pitch and by the way they chose to set up at Wembley, they knew that fact too!

Thanks to their goalie for the 2nd, a feeling we know all too well with our rubbish Spaniard and much thanks to useless waste of space Odi who killed the clean sheet. Blotted Franks copy book for the day with poor choice of substitution.

Immediate thoughts after the game, we are further forward than them by quite a margin with adds already coming and possible more to come, plus what seems to be a never ending conveyor belt of youth products Frank is happy to introduce. Obviously they could smash out 300 million in the window, but one thing they have proven since the demise of Sir Alex, they fail to get who they want more than often.

Also a plus for Frank was his spotlighting of all the penalties United have benefited by this season. I am not saying it was because of this they didn’t get the spot kick in the first half when Rudiger and Zouma, not a left peg between them managed to wait for the dropping ball to get over to their right side before up-ending the United player. They sure have got many weaker appeals.

The Leicester Manager should have taken note of the game as Frank may well have shown the blue print of how to winkle out a positive result. Although I dont think they have the personnel to be able to play that formation.

Hands up who thinks Frank will do the same on Wednesday?  :ph34r:

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

The Leicester Manager should have taken note of the game as Frank may well have shown the blue print of how to winkle out a positive result. Although I dont think they have the personnel to be able to play that formation.

It's similar to a formation we've been trying but like you say, it's the personnel.

I don't think we'll play 3 at the back again this season. Bennett just isn't up to it.

You guys impressed yesterday. Seemed defensively sound and going forward, the midfield (led by Mount) and attack really clicked. 

More managers need to make a note of the penalties they're getting. Just draw attention to it without saying anything provocative. 

Looks like Havertz is imminent. Wonder if Chelsea are going to sign anyone for their defense in the window, because I certainly think a CB (and goalkeeper) would go a long way for them, especially with those 3 new attackers on the way.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Looks like Havertz is imminent. Wonder if Chelsea are going to sign anyone for their defense in the window, because I certainly think a CB (and goalkeeper) would go a long way for them, especially with those 3 new attackers on the way.

Whispers Lampard wants to replace Kepa

No news on any CBs

Chilwell rumor is dead. Nothing of late in terms of LB

Recent reports we are willing to offer both Batshuayi + Barkley for Declan Rice 

Early days. I'm more worried about finding suitors for our players to actually fund the Havertz deal. 

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Whispers Lampard wants to replace Kepa

No news on any CBs

Chilwell rumor is dead. Nothing of late in terms of LB

Recent reports we are willing to offer both Batshuayi + Barkley for Declan Rice 

Early days. I'm more worried about finding suitors for our players to actually fund the Havertz deal. 

it won't need funding. FFP is out of the window since City got away with murder. So yeah, Roman is free to spend as much of his oil money on whoever he wants. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

it won't need funding. FFP is out of the window since City got away with murder. So yeah, Roman is free to spend as much of his oil money on whoever he wants. 

True. We just need to leave a trail long enough for 5 years. 

21 hours ago, Stan said:

It's similar to a formation we've been trying but like you say, it's the personnel.

I don't think we'll play 3 at the back again this season. Bennett just isn't up to it.

You guys impressed yesterday. Seemed defensively sound and going forward, the midfield (led by Mount) and attack really clicked. 

More managers need to make a note of the penalties they're getting. Just draw attention to it without saying anything provocative. 

Yes it is unfortunate what has happened at Leicester at what has turned out to be a crucial end of season. Injuries and suspensions have been a major factor opening up the 3rd slot for automatic CL qualification. I believe at one time Leicester were comfortable 10 points clear of 5th. Its not over yet. We have proved to be unreliable\inconsistent and United are looking punchy. It's a real shame West Ham are already safe as they can prove to be a real handful when needing points. That’s our fault from a few weeks back. Unreliable\Inconsistent.

Interesting show on Talksport Radio where a number of agents were asked to offer two signings they expect Chelsea & other top clubs to make before the start of next season. Top two names for us……..Havertz & Rice

Obviously they could be agents for actors or estates, but it is interesting the weight behind Havertz grapevine has become ever stronger since he removed liking the Werner to Chelsea transfer on his social media.

4 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Interesting show on Talksport Radio where a number of agents were asked to offer two signings they expect Chelsea & other top clubs to make 

Chelsea aren't a top club. They are an oil funded project.

Edited by LFCMadLad

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.53d0ebbc5620b67cea9a39949deeae1d.png

Chelsea are prepared to more than double Dean Henderson's wages in an attempt to prise him away from Manchester United.

The MEN understands Chelsea have made contact with Henderson's representatives amid Frank Lampard's dissatisfaction with the £71million Kepa Arrizabalaga, the world's most expensive goalkeeper. Henderson, 23, is believed to currently earn around £70,000 a week but Sheffield United have paid the majority of his salary over the last year and Chelsea are ready to entice him with £170,000-a-week wages. (Manchester Evening News)Arrow.png.273547b4886e970b95c184312b7fd8df.png

Manchester United will hold talks with goalkeeper Dean Henderson next week after the player returns to the club from a successful loan spell with Sheffield United, his second season with the South Yorkshire club. The 23-year-old has previously stated that he would return to United once he is guaranteed the number one position in the team, something that I feel he has earned, especially over the last two years in helping the Blades achieve a Premier League position and setting out this season to obtain European football, which was dented with a defeat to Everton on Monday. (MUFC Latest)Arrow.png.273547b4886e970b95c184312b7fd8df.png

Lots of evidence to clear the shit from Franks eyes last night which should benefit our team & help us move forward.

First, there now can be no doubt what so ever Kepa isnt good enough to be our starting Goalie. It's going to be a very bitter pill for the club to swallow, but whoever brought him to the club needs to be removed with him. With that it brings finding a replacement top of needs list.

2nd, I have been banging on about it all season. A natural left footed central defender is a must. It is truly painful watching our current guys and underlines in thick print how big a decision Frank made letting David Luiz go at the start of the season. Yes, he is right footed, but his left foot is better than all the current CH's right feet in the squad and there is plenty of evidence he is comfortable either foot. I am not saying his defending is wonderful, but again we have plenty of evidence he is no worse than our current batch. Frank needs to put that early decision right.

Again I have been saying the same all season. Frank has proved his coaching skills & staff are unable to sort out our defending, mainly at dead ball situations. For fuck sake employ someone who can sort them out or the owner might be forced to make that decision for you.

Last night should leave no doubt in his head, if Pulisic is fit enough for the bench, then he should be fucking starting. Another basic mistake & one Frank has made many times this season.

Lastly I have to mention a moment in the game where Jorginho could have won over many Chelsea fans. Their 5th goal, Jorginho was given his "Terry Fenwick moment" opportunity. Those of you who do not know that Fenwick moment need to look up what is said to be Maradona's best ever goal for Argentina, running the length of the pitch in Mexico before slotting the ball past Shilton with his foot (Not his cheating bastard hand). Before he reached the box, Fenwick had the opportunity to launch Maradona into row Z. Alas he missed that opportunity to take one for the team by allowing him to run straight past him & the rest is history.

Jorginho, last man in defence also missed his opportunity by running as thou he was carry a fridge on his back, yet again proving defensively he is about as much use as fart in a Space Suit.

Lets see what Sunday brings.

I can see why Lampard wants to improve the GK and LB over centre backs. Some of these statistics are shocking. 

If Kepa lets in two goals against Wolves, he'll have let in 83 goals in his first 2 seasons at Chelsea. To put that into context, it took Petr Čech 5 seasons and Thibaut Courtois 3 seasons to reach that same number.

Chelsea's defense is actually facing less shots than typical Chelsea teams of old did. Kepa has only faced 92 shots this season, which is actually 25 less than the 117 he faced last season.

In Čech's 11 season's at Chelsea he only had one single season where he faced less than 100 shots, 2009/10 where he faced 93. Courtois faced around 100 per season, with his lowest being 93 as well in the 15/16 horror season.

09/10: Čech faces 93 shots and conceded 24 goals.

15/16: Courtois faces 93 shots and concedes 29 goals.

19/20: Kepa faces 92 shots and concedes 42 goals.

Čech = 1000 saves from 1241 shots (81%)

Courtois = 281 saves from 398 shots (71%)

Kepa this season = 53 saves from 92 shots (57%)

Using that metric we can see that Kepa has faced the 2nd most difficult shots to save this season. Kepa faces shots that shot go in 1/3 times. But take the example of De Gea who faces shots that should go in 1/4 of the time. Easier to deal with. So Kepa faces hard shots right? There are keepers in the league who face similarly difficult shots: Dúbravka (Newcastle), Mcarthy (Southampton), Ryan (Brighton). Despite that, each of those keepers has saved a lot of those shots from going in. Dúbravka = 71% save percentage

Mcarthy = 69%

Ryan = 69%

Kepa = 57%

Edk-8nQWoAAYbgP?format=png&name=small

On 20/07/2020 at 17:06, Dr. Gonzo said:

Looks like Havertz is imminent.

Looks that way... Leroy Sane has pretty much confirmed it to reporters during a press conference today... he said "It's good for Chelsea that they have signed 2 top German talents in Timo Werner and Kia Harvertz this summer"

On 23/07/2020 at 16:31, Bluewolf said:

Looks that way... Leroy Sane has pretty much confirmed it to reporters during a press conference today... he said "It's good for Chelsea that they have signed 2 top German talents in Timo Werner and Kia Harvertz this summer"

Apparently, the deal was finished Friday. Havertz then told his closest mates, Sane being one of them. Told Rudiger as well and apparently all the players now know. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Apparently, the deal was finished Friday. Havertz then told his closest mates, Sane being one of them. Told Rudiger as well and apparently all the players now know. 

Mad how Chelsea can spend 100's of millions whilst everyone else (apart from City) has to struggle on?

Cheats... no other word for it!

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Mad how Chelsea can spend 100's of millions whilst everyone else (apart from City) has to struggle on?

Well, we didn’t have a transfer window. Sold Hazard and Morata, and have a lot of other players looking to sell. I’m more interested to see what our net spend will be come September. 

Edited by Cicero

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Chelsea haven’t really spent money like they used to and have actually made a lot of money off sales. And they had a transfer ban for breaking rules on signing youngsters (which is actually funny as this is the first year in a long time they’ve really relied on their, very good mind you, academy).

I’m sure now they’ve seen how to get away with breaking FFP we might see a less “self-sufficient” Chelsea again though.

But I actually think Werner at the price they paid is a pretty good deal in this day and age... so even that you can’t so much level the charge that was once true that they were ruining the transfer market. PSG & Citeh sort of well upped the ante there tbh. 

Chelsea were always going to spend a lot after the ban was over and they sold Hazard. I’m not that surprised. But if we see them sign Havertz and an expensive CB... yeah they’re probably breaking FFP rules and are ready to not give evidence over in a timely fashion and pay a comparatively small fine.

4 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Absolute don! Been one of my favourites in recent years for us and was one of our best players in that title-winning season under Conte. What a career he's had and wish him all the best at Roma.

El nuevo récord de Pedro Rodríguez, el campeón incansable

I always liked him and I like Roma, for some reason, so I hope he goes on to have a good end to his career. I think Serie A football will suit him a bit better than the prem nowadays.

There is no doubt Frank has managed to come up smelling of Roses in his first full season as manager. While he accepted the duff hand of no transfers of his making, loss of the leagues best player and being forced to make a decision on the one defensive player who was comfortable playing left centre half position, he has managed to get what is the ultimate minimum for Chelsea Football Club.

Looking back over the season he should have learn't a lot about his players and from what we can tell by the signings he has made and others linked too, he saw our problem of killing off sides as the biggest to be fixed. Many will argue it’s the other end of the pitch which is the most concerning and after dropping the goalkeeper for a second time we must imagine Frank has had enough of Kepa. While its exciting to read Havertz Rice ect are on their way, the one name which has been catapulted to the top of needs is that of a goalkeeper.

Points of note during the season. From Dec 7th 2019, away to Everton to the break of lockdown, funny enough again against Everton, we only took less than half from a possible 42. Some might say the break came at the right time for Frank, he sure saw Giroud through different eyes after that Everton home fixture. One can only wonder if he had made that decision earlier, how much more comfortable we would have been? Against the clubs who finished in the bottom 8 positions we took just over half from 48. It’s a minor miracle we managed to get enough points against the top half to find ourselves top four.

So, a more experienced manager next season, flair players added plus the Cherry on top about to sign and just some basic defensive improvement to protect the new Goalkeeper, we have every reason to think next season we should not have to wait till the final game of the season to cement our top 4 position. Any more than that we will have to wait and see, but we all should feel much more positive on our future.

To finish off the season with a lump of silverware would be lovely for Frank and remove the “never won anything as a manager” tag from Frank nice and early. Opposition have run into a slice of form late on, so I doubt it will be an easy game.

Overall, wonderful end to the League season, well deserved praise for our Frank with the understanding we will expect MUCH more next season from him and his team, because next season it truly will be HIS team.