talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not a lot to level at him right now, tbh. At the beginning of the season, Chelsea fans were talking about hoping for top 6... so he's beaten that. And I think cup run would just be a plus for them... and now they're in a FA Cup final. They're shit at defending, but he's done well this season - not a lot to criticise really.

This isn't some pub team he inherited, they were third last season and got a cup final. The rest of the teams around them have gotten worse mainly. They've haemorrhaged goals all season and he's shown no aptitude to sort it out. Don't get me wrong he doesn't deserve to be sacked but another manager would be getting pelters off the press for a pretty poor league campaign overall.  He's one of them though, he's as establishment England as you get.

Edited by The Artful Dodger
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rick said:

Yeah, I don’t believe this “we don’t have the money” lark. Haven’t spend big in 18 months. Been in 2 champions league finals and won one of the buggers, signed numerous lucrative sponsorship deals, new shirt deal with Nike, sold off players and we just won the league. Add the that the ever rising TV money. The club has plenty of cash. 

The club are being cautious, definitely. We can argue about the rights or wrongs of that but no one knows the medium-long term effects of Covid. 

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

The club are being cautious, definitely. We can argue about the rights or wrongs of that but no one knows the medium-long term effects of Covid. 

Rick does, he knows everything. 

He should be Manager, Owner, Scout, job lot. 

Rick thinks merging training facilities and expanding the stadium grows on trees. 

• Haha 1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Can you Liverpool lot do me a favour and fuck off out of our thread.... Take your Pram/Toys and tantrums and throw them about in your own bloody thread.. 

This is a peaceful neighbourhood round here... 

Classic Chelsea behaviour. Kick fans out where they're not wanted. 

:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Rick does, he knows everything. 

He should be Manager, Owner, Scout, job lot. 

Rick thinks merging training facilities and expanding the stadium grows on trees. 

Klopp has actually asked me to be tea boy. 

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Can you Liverpool lot do me a favour and fuck off out of our thread.... Take your Pram/Toys and tantrums and throw them about in your own bloody thread.. 

This is a peaceful neighbourhood round here... 

A plastic thread should be honoured by real fans. :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

This isn't some pub team he inherited, they were third last season and got a cup final. The rest of the teams around them have gotten worse mainly. They've haemorrhaged goals all season and he's shown no aptitude to sort it out. Don't get me wrong he doesn't deserve to be sacked but another manager would be getting pelters off the press for a pretty poor league campaign overall.  He's one of them though, he's as establishment England as you get.

They also lost their best player last season and so much of everything good Chelsea did last season ran through Hazard. He was a big loss for them. Tbf, there've been questions asked of him on why Chelsea haven't improved their defending (especially on set pieces because he played for Mourinho xD). I think all things considered, with a transfer ban and losing their best player... he's had a decent season. I do agree with you, he's a media darling so he'll probably never really get the same criticism he'd get if he were say some Spanish guy who says "good ebening."

I do think it's weird how Chelsea look to be spending big to revamp their attack, when really I think they ought to be focusing on fixing that defense up... because they'll immediately see an improvement in the amount of points they get next season if they spend big on defenders. Maybe the idea is with the revamped attack, they'll be spending less time defending. But I think there's a more simple solution to improving this Chelsea side.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

They also lost their best player last season and so much of everything good Chelsea did last season ran through Hazard. He was a big loss for them. Tbf, there've been questions asked of him on why Chelsea haven't improved their defending (especially on set pieces because he played for Mourinho xD). I think all things considered, with a transfer ban and losing their best player... he's had a decent season. I do agree with you, he's a media darling so he'll probably never really get the same criticism he'd get if he were say some Spanish guy who says "good ebening."

I do think it's weird how Chelsea look to be spending big to revamp their attack, when really I think they ought to be focusing on fixing that defense up... because they'll immediately see an improvement in the amount of points they get next season if they spend big on defenders. Maybe the idea is with the revamped attack, they'll be spending less time defending. But I think there's a more simple solution to improving this Chelsea side.

Nah son, it's the Kevin Keegan strat of 'doesn't matter if we concede six because we'll score seven'. LOVE IT

Just now, Spike said:

Nah son, it's the Kevin Keegan strat of 'doesn't matter if we concede six because we'll score seven'. LOVE IT

We tried that for a while... it didn't really work out as well as buying a top keeper, defender, and defensive midfielder while having those good attackers though.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

We tried that for a while... it didn't really work out as well as buying a top keeper, defender, and defensive midfielder while having those good attackers though.

Yeah but Liverpool are a bit shit, Chelsea aren't

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Pulisic looks pretty special to me, maybe not peak hazard yet but not too far off. 

Next year is massive for Lampard, he’s been given a free pass this year.

The next Adu, maybe?

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I agree mostly.

Some of the praise he's got has been over the top, he's inherited a team that's more than capable of finishing in the top four and just finished above a Leicester team who finished 9th the season before. 

What most people forget though is that the best thing he's done has been giving the youth players a chance which hasn't been the case at Chelsea for years and years now. He's given debuts to more youth players than any other manager in Chelsea's history which if you think about the fact that Chelsea hasn't always been a team of this calibre and wealth, it's something impressive. Not only has he given them a chance, but he's also developed them and stuck by them. It doesn't matter if the majority of these youth players end up in spending most of their careers playing in the Championship, it's the fact that he's given them that chance. Furthermore, people say the transfer ban brought that upon Lampard but they couldn't be more wrong. 

I also can see the vision and direction he has for this team, I can see what's he trying to do. It's a work in progress but I can at least see the idea he has which is always a good sign. Who knows if it will work out but there's no denying he's had a positive season for many reasons. I would have said the same even if we missed out on the top four.

Some of the recognition and acclaim has been over the top I agree and Lampard has always been a bit of a media darling so that will probably mean that the criticism won't come as quickly or be as steep if it does come, on the other side the praise will be overblown if it continues to come as well. In general, he's likeable for most football fans and you can't blame him for the way the media etc treat him. Next season though will be where the pressure's on.

• Upvote 1

To be fair Lampard is quite a well spoken individual that has had few controversies in his career. The perception of a single manager as having darling status is the leaast problem in the British media.

Edited by Spike

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nah we've got plenty of old people on here. And old people don't say probs.

We say 'Probably'... using all of the available letters.. we speak properly in this thread as is fitting with our class and status... Having you lot in here is like having the bin men round on a Tuesday... noisy and irritating for a while but then they eventually sod off and peace is restored... 

12 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Although you are probably right I think that given his lack of experience at this level is where it's a bit forgivable this season as he is finding his feet and areas of weakness that need to be improved upon but given the investment in new players he will be required to do better next season and if we don't strengthen that back line our whole season will be based on us trying to outscore the opposition.. Great if we can win every game 6-3 but not so great if we are losing them 4-3 obviously... A keeper with a more commanding presence at the back would go a long way to helping that situation and in some respects even though Kepa has not had the best defence in front of him I would have expected more confidence from him and I just don't get the impression he is a safe pair of hands... Every time the opposition have a corner or free kick we are shitting it... 

12 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Pulisic looks pretty special to me, maybe not peak hazard yet but not too far off. 

Next year is massive for Lampard, he’s been given a free pass this year.

No Hazard I would agree but he is a game changer and that is what Hazard gave us and Pulisic looks to be in the same mould... I have been impressed with some of his performances and he looks very comfortable and controlled on the ball and creates chances and can take them as well... 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think Lampard has done a fine job all things considered. 

Same. 

Said at the start of the season it'll be a blessing in disguise their transfer ban came in to place as it meant youngsters - Mount, James, Hudson-Odoi, Gilmour, Tomori (could/should have played more), Abraham - had a chance to come in and play more regularly. He's done well and should be a signal to other clubs you don't always have to spend money (this may go out the window with how much they've just spent on Havertz, Ziyech and Werner though xD). 

• Upvote 2

Yes, Frank has got an easy time of it (not from me), but surly that is to be expected baring the situation he inherited. He, along with others in his family are darlings of the media which also helps, however, the build them up before knocking them down jumping up n down on their head our media are famous for will still apply to Frank if his team does not progress. To end the season with silverware would be wonderful, but it's not essential. I cant think of many other Chelsea managers afforded that luxury. His appointment has proved a masterstroke as it unified the match day attending fans which are always the most important fanbase at any club. 

Lampard's task was to fill the void of Hazard's influence among our academy players and Pulisic. 

A lot of people wrote Tammy off given his past experience in the Premier League. Mount was going to be a hit or miss for some and many predicted Pulisic to be a flop. 

Lampard undoubtedly deserves the praise this season for what he's accomplished. 

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

Wow ~ So much traffic this thread in 24 hours ~ Most of it irrelevant to title of thread ~ Great job Mods  :dam:

Of the postings I can see & of interest.....

Yes, Frank has got an easy time of it (not from me), but surly that is to be expected baring the situation he inherited. He, along with others in his family are darlings of the media which also helps, however, the build them up before knocking them down jumping up n down on their head our media are famous for will still apply to Frank if his team does not progress. To end the season with silverware would be wonderful, but it's not essential. I cant think of many other Chelsea managers afforded that luxury. His appointment has proved a masterstroke as it unified the match day attending fans which are always the most important fanbase at any club. 

Lol as if the media would ever turn against Fat Frank. Aside from being well “in” with the media as one of their darlings, he’s related to the Redknapps. If shit ever goes really wrong with his tenure, the media will never be screaming for the axe to come down on him.

• Upvote 2