talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

• Administrator

Heard on the news earlier Abramovich (and Chelsea?) could be in a bit of trouble for him owning a Sporting Lisbon player who played against Chelsea in CL in 2014. But they may be 'protected' because FIFA didn't bring in the 3rd-party ownership in until 2015. Means he had a conflict of interest, so to speak...

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah last season when we played you early on, his side looked like it had far more identity. When we faced you around the end of the last season, you were better in terms of scoring goals (Pulisic was brilliant that match) but that match was a bit weird on the Chelsea side of things because Chelsea would go in between looking really good and really bad all in the same match. I guess that match was sort of a microcosm of Chelsea's season though.

Our next four games are:

Barnsley in the League Cup

West Brom away. 

Palace at home. 

Saints away. 

These matches will ultimately determine, in my opinion, how the rest of the season will pan out and whether or not Lampard has fundamentally learned anything. All four of these games are perfect for Lampard to reintroduce the possession based, attacking football we saw last season before the restart. It will also give our players familiarity with one another, and new faces being introduced to the side after being sidelined with injury. 

Or, we continue to see the same chopping and changing, which leaves me to believe Lampard is well and truly out of his depth considering he doesn't know what he wants, and the fact we invested heavily to accommodate his 'vision'. 

Edited by Cicero

20 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

I have watched Timo for years and said when the signing was likely that it would be a great error to put him in the PL - too nice, too soft and too often in dreamland on the pitch.  You were warned!

I am not sure who you are, but I am guessing you are German from your members name. If so you are not the first German who has piped up about Timo since we purchased him. Some German Chelsea fans at my board have also voiced concern, however since we had been linked with him I took in his former clubs games and I have not seen what seems to worry you so. So far he has won two penalties and looked good. Best wait till the end of the season before you crow too much about your warnings. Maybe it’s the club he played for in Germany why some Germans have a down on him. Either way, thanks for your concern, he will be fine.

20 hours ago, Batard said:

The overwhelming sense I get as a neutral is that Lampard does not know what to do with all the players that have been brought in. The system he's operating makes no sense whatsoever. I disagree with Jorginho being a passenger, he's one of the best passers and calm in possession, the problem as I see it is that playing him at the base of the midfield with Kante pushed to the right fundamentally does not work. Play Kante centrally and use Jorginho as a floating 2nd pivot. Until Pulisic is back it may even be wiser to play a more narrow system rather than playing attacking midfielders on the flanks where the game bypasses them. 

Yeah Id say it’s a fair shout Frank does not know his best 11 or formation. He is showing all the signs of his inexperience with the weekends selection. Truly pathetic. Granted we have many players to return who should strengthen the starting line-up, but as someone pointed out yesterday, more bodies to choose from might just make it more difficult for him. The most disappointing thing for me, things that were proven to be wrong in selection last season and were seemed to have been sussed by Frank, which he was praised for, have been returned too in this weekends game. That’s a worry & a sign of weakness on Franks part. It’s a shame fans were not in the stadium as I am sure he would have got more of the same from last season selection mistakes. Who knows, this performance might help wake him up.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

I am not sure who you are, but I am guessing you are German from your members name. If so you are not the first German who has piped up about Timo since we purchased him. Some German Chelsea fans at my board have also voiced concern, however since we had been linked with him I took in his former clubs games and I have not seen what seems to worry you so. So far he has won two penalties and looked good. Best wait till the end of the season before you crow too much about your warnings. Maybe it’s the club he played for in Germany why some Germans have a down on him. Either way, thanks for your concern, he will be fine.

I spent some time teaching in Germany in Gelsenkirchen and got to know many of the young players in the early 20's.  Have been a fan of 04 since 1949 when I first visited the area on a Youth Exchange from Yorkshire hence my tag name!  When Timo was at Stuttgart he was always a threat but German football and defenders area different from those in the PL.  His time at Leipzig prospered from the fact that Poulson took most of his stick and gave him so many chances and no one in the German National team does that - hence his lack of success there!  I have no problems with his abilities -they are first class, but he hides too often when the going gets tough and I fear that he is no Drogba who can take it and give it back!  The few times I met him with my young friend Andy Beck he was the sort of guy you wanted to spend time with - polite, respectful and funny, buy football needs hard guys up front  - not diving whimps like the little fellow at City who last night should have been carded in the first minute and then got kicked about and the ref didn't believe it once and like most other refs have had enough of hid 'cheating'.  I really do wish him well, but the pressure will be on him every week and I am not sure he will cope with that!  Anyway my lot have far more problems to consider at the moment someone would rescue my young ex pupil Max and get him away from Woy Hodgson!  C'st La Vie.  Oh and for a final comment - I can see the lights of Elland Road from my bedroom window when they are on!

Take care, stay safe and

sei nett!

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

I spent some time teaching in Germany in Gelsenkirchen and got to know many of the young players in the early 20's.  Have been a fan of 04 since 1949 when I first visited the area on a Youth Exchange from Yorkshire hence my tag name!  When Timo was at Stuttgart he was always a threat but German football and defenders area different from those in the PL.  His time at Leipzig prospered from the fact that Poulson took most of his stick and gave him so many chances and no one in the German National team does that - hence his lack of success there!  I have no problems with his abilities -they are first class, but he hides too often when the going gets tough and I fear that he is no Drogba who can take it and give it back!  The few times I met him with my young friend Andy Beck he was the sort of guy you wanted to spend time with - polite, respectful and funny, buy football needs hard guys up front  - not diving whimps like the little fellow at City who last night should have been carded in the first minute and then got kicked about and the ref didn't believe it once and like most other refs have had enough of hid 'cheating'.  I really do wish him well, but the pressure will be on him every week and I am not sure he will cope with that!  Anyway my lot have far more problems to consider at the moment someone would rescue my young ex pupil Max and get him away from Woy Hodgson!  C'st La Vie.  Oh and for a final comment - I can see the lights of Elland Road from my bedroom window when they are on!

Take care, stay safe and

sei nett!

This would place you around 75-80 to years old? 

Silva and Chilwell in the squad tomorrow. Ziyech and Pulisic close to being fit. 

Mendy will undergo the COVID-19 test with the squad on Thursday and as long as he is negative, he will be available for selection Saturday. 

Edited by Cicero

On 22/09/2020 at 11:15, SchalkeUK said:

Take care, stay safe and

sei nett!

Outstanding reply & awesome conformation of your lifetime development.

Stay healthy & offering your worthy opinion. You’re a rare Bird around here!

The present problems are not as bad as they might seem to younger folk.  I miss being able to get to LBA and hop over to Dusseldorf for the odd match in the Veltins, but having been a kid during the 40's and the 9 years following the old National service requirements in the RAF - restrictions are something you get used to and - hopefully - live through.  Going to the Ruhr so soon after the end of the war and later spending time at Scampton in 617 Sqn (Dambusters gang) made me even more determined that the present 'Black Lives Matter' campaign is only part of the problems!  It gives those who don't believe it something to focus on and get even worse with their ideas and attitudes.  If I were to have any say in this I would cross out the word 'Black' and replace it the 'All'. My local Asian pupils were some of the finest young people I ever met - as were the German boys like Leroy, Julien and Joel.  The only reason I stay on here - never, ever use facebook or twitter - is that there is a chance to talk to others who respect not only their colleagues - but sadly not always the case these days - respect themselves - that's where it starts and long may it continue. On a lighter note I worry that Barnsley might repeat their last encounter with the Blue gang in London and the what will the Ultras have to say?  Could get - hopefully - funny!

Barnsley Home EFL Cup

Huge amount of changes to starting line up as one would expect. Score, at least the clean sheet, flattered us. There was enough clear cut chances in front of our goal to make it uncomfortable watching if you had money on anything nil to us, as this writer did.

Abraham once again stood out against opposition of a lesser standard and must have opened the manager eyes how a bigger target man linked so well with Havertz. I have already stated before the season Giroud should be the glue to stick all the new signings together. He managed to get on the end of Chilwells first assist & for me is a must start Saturday. I won’t hold my breath.

Havertz played well as did Barkley Dave n Willy. I wouldn’t want to name check anyone else other than Tammy who worked very hard throughout his time on the pitch. Barnsley were poor for the most part with the goalkeeper we sold them well below average on that performance.

New keeper at the club and Frank shifting the decision firmly onto Petr shoulders! Kinda made me laugh as I listened to him underlining how Petr had hand picked from his ex club. So that’s Mendy chosen by Petr, Chilwell chosen by Ashley. Oh how I wish we knew who chose Kepa.

Should be an interesting time between now and the window closing as far as thinning out the squad. Whoever goes out on loan, I hope we box clever and ensure there are a couple who are only till the next window, just to be safe as there are lot of games to get through. Plus, Frank isn’t filling me with confidence of a smooth season. I have many I would like to be moved on for good, but CHO should be loan only.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AMG said:

No, I meant on "uncomfortable arrogance"

Not sure about that. He's publicly acknowledged he was incredibly shit last season. 

Maybe not in those exact words, but he expressed as much. 

Edited by Cicero

WBA Away

Ouch! Nothing we didn’t know before came from the first half. A Left wing back isn’t a left back. James defending isn’t his strongest suit needs to get much more closer. Christensen seems to be the managers preference for right sided CH. The blokes standing between the posts are not helping. We are well below & have been for a couple seasons anything close to an average defence.

What we didn’t know was the managers idea to help us to become better unit would have a StevieG moment.

StevieG's moment ~ Funny.

I believe, over the past two seasons we would have lost this game, so from the darkness of holding our heads in our hands at 3-0 down for me there are some proper positives.

For me, as I said before the game, Giroud should have started. I truly believe he is the glue to bring everyone together at the top end of the pitch. Franks selections are proving a weak point where Giroud is concerned. Took almost ¾ of last season & a injury to Tammy before Giroud saved the mangers ass. Baffles me Frank does not see this.

What Frank got right was the benching of Jorginho and starting Kante & Kovacic together. Obviously standing 3-0 down by half time lead to changes & again he was right to hook Kovacic off. We needed goals & Kovacic like Jorginho offer very little other than passing the ball over 2 3 or 4 yards and in the latter's case not always to the same coloured shirt. One can only hope the Italian international is carted off out of the club soon. My offer to drive him too the airport still stands, but with that mug Sarri out of work, his fans are halved. His prick tease agent strangely quite. He has gone from every club wants his client to struggling to get anyone interested, outside of smelling a knock down price, which be told, is what his real fucking value is.

CHO had probably his best 45 mins in a Chelsea shirt. Mount worked very hard but should be removed from taking free kicks. Tammy tries his best, but you have to be football blind not to see the difference between his leading the line compared to Giroud. Havertz has plenty of nice touches and will get better the longer he is with us. The player who disappeared against the packed defence was Timo. Removes his pace, but again I feel sure he will get his moments.

Overall we are well under cooked. One game pre-season with so many new arrivals, its no wonder the team isn’t firing yet. We will do, hell of a lotta ball game left.

-------------------------------------

Plenty of weird results so far this weekend. Jose fucked over in what can only be described as total embarrassment for the EPL. City suffering the same injury crisis we had  06/07. West Ham tonking Wolves Brighton doing everything to outplay outclass United only to loose.

• Upvote 1