talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

What's been said about Alonso by Lampard?

Essentially singled him out on the mistakes against West Brom. Lampard's never done that before. Add to the fact Lampard immediately subbed him off at half time, and there are reports Alonso went straight to the bus instead of sitting on the bench the second half. 

When asked about Chelsea’s poor defending in the first half, he blamed “clear mistakes”.

“The first one Marcos heads it into the middle of the pitch for them for a transition,” Lampard said.

“Marcos loses his man for the third goal from the corner, a clear mistake. You can do as many meetings as you want, if you are going to make those mistakes you give yourself a mountain to climb.”

Personally, I don't blame Lampard. The pressure this season is immense. Lampard knows that and the players should know that. If Alonso gets beat by pace, fair enough. Nothing he can do there. The lazy misplaced passes into dangerous areas and losing your marker, unacceptable. Especially for a player of his experience and the circumstances. 

Edited by Cicero

Tottenham Away EFL Cup

Like the Barnsley game in the round before this was a non empathy game which was used for both teams squad players. Wasn’t a good standard and our 2nd half performance was poor.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Jorginho and Kovacic should not start games together. Pathetic short nothing passes. During the 2nd half before Frank pulled off Kovacic the pair of them produced nothing, that includes winning the ball back. Once Kante was put on the pitch that started to change. For me, outside of the goalie, (new one being evaluated) the centre of our midfield is holding this team back when Frank fucks up selection.

It seems crazy to say, but kinda sums our club, the player who may well have been the ideal peg for that hole was Mario Pasalic. At least it would have nice to see him given the chance to play alongside Kante or Kovacic. Alas, we will never know.

Werner took his goal well and surprisingly the defence looked ok. Zouma having one of his better performances. Obviously opposition, until Jose threw his first team on where average. Loved the Dummy Dave sold to the new Spurs Left Back who could still be sliding on his ass if hadn’t run out of wet grass.

Difficult to take the game\performance other than a secondary event. I don’t think it gave any answers to questions we have standing. Just confirms what we already knew.

If its true what Marcus Alonso has told Frank, that fucking idiot who was missing for the Spurs goal last night may well have to stay.

Crystal Palace Home

Pretty sure that was not a 4-0 performance, but beggars cant be choosers during pre seasons so its nice to finish what really is the end of the pre season with a big win.

Pre-season? Well from what I understand from most PL clubs, they are looking towards the first International break as the end of pre-season. If true, nice of the clubs to get the players ready for the waste of time Internationals we all have to endue far too many times during the calendar year.  

First half of this fixture was more of the same we have seen this season. Slow build up unable to move the ball quickly lack of movement from forward players as the ball moved from one side to the other through back four n middle midfielders. Jorginho’s one ball other than short is thrown out wide to the left which was easily dealt with by Palace and Kante continues to find it difficult to find anyone further forward than other in midfield. What I found very noticeable but hasn’t been spoken about since the game was in the second half our two central defenders by-passed Jorginho and Kante and forced the ball into a willing Havertz & two wide players. Once CHO hitched his skirt up and took on the young Left back instead of fucking checking all the time, he looked like a player. Suddenly we were much quicker as a team and chances were made. I have a theory on Callum. He and his hanger ons love money, so every time he checks and does not take his marker on, he should be fined 5 grand. Watch the money grabbing bastard take on his marker with that in his mind! Havertz interviewed by ChelseaTV after the game spoke of us moving the ball much faster in the second half and how much more difficult the PL is compared to where he was playing. Talks well and money very well spent for me.

Much plaudits coming Chilwell’s way after a nice attacking performance. However I don’t want to rain too much on everyone’s celebrations, but the other two blokes who have been in that left back spot at times also shone going forward. I think they should reframe from swinging their dicks above their heads in celebration we have a left back until we see Chilwell’s defensive efforts put to the test.

Thiago Silva obviously reads the game on a much higher level than we have been used too from players in that position. While Palace did not put him or any of the defenders under pressure, it was nice to see a guy have his body in the right position when needed. Lets hope some of his knowhow rubs off on the players around him.

Excellent debate going on in this thread on Tammy grabbing the ball for the second penalty with what seems to be a split response between all. For me what hasn’t been mentioned was Werner first tried to get the ball from Tammy, then Dave arrived to remove it from him to give too Jorginho. 3-0 at the time with Palace not looking like they could get out of the own half in the remaining minutes I am of the mind to have given it to one of the forwards to open their account. Would have been a ideal opportunity for Werner as Tammy has already scored this season in the PL.

Frank looked like he was feeling like a million dollar coach when talking to ChelseaTV. Not sure why he gave Pulisic airtime. Daft call that, but Frank makes more of those than any coach we have had as he learns his role. I was amazed to hear the Chelseatv reporter ask him about the always changing defensive 4 and is he any closer to finding his regular 4 or does he see it as a group thing which needs to be fluid to accept changes from week to week. Amazingly Frank didn’t bat an eyelid and answered he would like a settled back four.

Then make a fucking decision n stick with it Frank!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again some truly amazing results this weekend which I don’t need to list, but I would say its another indication of all only now coming out of the pre-season.

I have also seen a player who I think would do us a good turn and we should try and sign him on deadline day.

Barkley of Villa

The problem with Jorginho and Kovacic is that they don't always play quick enough nor do they always pick out that pass that breaks lines. They are great at getting control of a game but get too passive and safe in possession which negatively affects the team's tempo. Jorginho has the capability of playing quickly but that depends entirely whether he's on his game. More often than not (not all the time) they aren't a good combination.

I've said before this season at the moment we're lacking a player that can dribble and beat a man, as @The Liquidator has said when Hudson-Odoi finally started doing that on Saturday we looked better for it. The fact that a wide player gives the defender something different to think about helps make more space for the other attackers. I think it's not the first time Lampard has had to make Hudson-Odoi get going like that. Pulisic's return will be very welcome but I still believe Hudson-Odoi can still play a big role as apart from Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi is the only player in the squad that can run, dribble and beat a man.

Edited by carefreeluke

Mendy looks to be fine but Chilwell and Kante both suffered injuries. Chilwell may have been a precaution but Kante suffered some muscle pain. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't field our strongest XI more than a 5 times this entire season. Seems to be an injury every other week and having internationals in this congested season will make matters worse. 

So much to like in the first half. We exploited their high line, probably foreseen by the manager judging by his starting line up. Timo showing his worth, although we should had more during the 45 mins. When they got their goal, well the manor they got it, we who sit n suffer shudder in the knowledge that there is probably more to come.

The second half we were out-managed. Truly pathetic how we could not get past the way the manager has us to bring the ball out from the back. The back 4, five with Kepa found a non existent midfield as they struggled to move the ball backwards n side to side. It difficult to really get a flavour of what all the players are doing when watching via a TV screen. Those who could see the whole pitch report they pinned all outlets knowing our poor on the ball defenders would make a mistake. Zouma was due & like “old faithful” he spurted up another. Some say the goalie chickened out on clearing it, but to be honest I am past caring on anything he does. I just want to fucking know who saddled us with him. Anyway, what fucked me off more than the result was more conformation our guy is unbelievably slow on the uptake. After the game during the time he is either smiling like a Cat who got the cream or showing what a complete & utter fraud his education is proving to be, he let everyone know what we should have been doing as a side in the 2nd half!! Yes by-pass the press…. FUCKING SIMPLE… so why didn’t he get Kepa or any of the defenders to go long? Its down to him, not the players, they are just trying to carry out his instructions, poorly for the most part. If he had told them to by-pass we would have seen evidence of it. They just did the same & he only helped the team with a few mins to go with James. It’s costing us a fortune in points while Frank learns his trade by not being good enough to make the right calls during a game. I know we bought into it from his appointment, but I got to say the guy is far slower on the uptake than he should be, after all, the Southampton manager did EXACTLY the same as last year & must have got cock out for a rub when he saw Jorginho in midfield again.

Last point. Dave gives away more cheap free kicks than Rudiger & is a liability in a defence full of not good enough defenders.

In a season which is looking to be more open than any in living memory, any team who can find a half decent defence should be shoe-in’s for top four. Frank needs to improve. John stands by unbeaten stealing a wonderful loan from his mate all the time gaining knowledge in the correct way to better yourself pre management. Another couple of these out-managed episodes, Frank could be watching someone else benefit from the massive talents we have top end of the pitch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How the fuck does Pickford go unpunished. What was Chelsea fan Dunk doing to our Gary?? How many Frank changes to CL game? Even when we are feeling so down, Jose brightens our day!

How embarrassing. 

Imagine being Christensen, or Rudiger, or Zouma. Entering the prime of your career, and a 36 year old has to come in and teach you how to defend. 

Now Kepa. Our technical director, has to come out of retirement and be an option as a GK given how poor Kepa is. 

Christ almighty. xD

So, anyone notice the change in ball retention philosophy last night? Another press was overcome by defenders & goalkeeper by-passing our terrible midfield selections & handing the ball to their defenders instead of pressing forwards n midfielders. Huge change from Frank. Shame he left the perfect guy to hit with these by-pass passes on the bench unable to help us. I am tired of saying it & Giroud himself must wonder why he is still at the club. With the passenger handing the ball to them with his first couple of touches & booked within 15mins for a bad foul, Frank isn’t helping himself with consistent wrong starting selections. I know Zouma is playing wrong side for him, but the guy is full of mistakes & is homed in on by all opponents. As much as the good work he does stands out he isn’t good enough to play the wrong side for him.

Very disappointing again & I guess we should br thankful for the point against a side who were more than comfortable all game.

Sevilla only lost 2 of their last 27 games. One was against Bayern in extra time and the other was last week when they were down to 10 men. 

If we were to learn anything from last season's champions league, it was to improve defensive structure and organisation. Too many clubs walked through our midfield and our defensive line was all over the place. That is the main area we needed to improve and we saw it executed well last night.

We've scored 13 goals in 5 PL games. Scoring goals isn't an issue so I will forgive our attack last night. As of now, it's about finding balance. Either we look great up top and suffer defensively, or we look great defensively but look meek up top. 

Also, it is imperative the club keeps Silva healthy. 

Edited by Cicero

My preferred starting eleven below:

Before people point out certain exclusions, they'll be heavy rotation needed with the fixtures this year so just because I've left certain players out, it doesn't mean they won't be getting enough game time. For me, we played our best football last season in the shape below and it also I think suits the attacking players we have.

Zouma on the left I'm unsure about. I think it gives us the most balance. Mount centre left being able to come in on his right, Havertz centre right being able to come in on his left. Mount's work rate will help us out defensively and it puts him in his best position. Pulisic and Ziyech also in their best positions. Giroud up top to act as the focal point for the attacking players and to also help us out physically. He also gives the full-backs someone to aim for with their crosses.

image.thumb.png.e9a9761cbf8e97638a1d1bc20a932d7d.png

Edited by carefreeluke
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Before people point out certain exclusions, they'll be heavy rotation needed with the fixtures this year so just because I've left certain players out, it doesn't mean they won't be getting enough game time. For me, we played our best football last season in the shape below and it also I think suits the attacking players we have.

Zouma on the left I'm unsure about. I think it gives us the most balance. Mount centre left being able to come in on his right, Havertz centre right being able to come in on his left. Mount's work rate will help us out defensively and it puts him in his best position. Pulisic and Ziyech also in their best positions. Giroud up top to act as the focal point for the attacking players and to also help us out physically. He also gives the full-backs someone to aim for with their crosses.

I honestly think you lot are one top CB away from really challenging. Just need a better manager.

Edited by LFCMadLad

33 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

That team lineup would concede more goals than Lampard's down to nine players.