talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

10 hours ago, Spike said:

Because you picked four midfielders that trend towards being forwards. Cant expect Kante to make up that much slack every game.

Kovacic and Jorginho make up a lot of slack every game then?

We used it at times last season with Kanté being the only defensive-minded player and it worked...

2 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

Kovacic and Jorginho make up a lot of slack every game then?

We used it at times last season with Kanté being the only defensive-minded player and it worked...

Considerably more than a midfield of mount and havertz

On 22/10/2020 at 00:19, carefreeluke said:

My preferred starting eleven below:

Before people point out certain exclusions, they'll be heavy rotation needed with the fixtures this year so just because I've left certain players out, it doesn't mean they won't be getting enough game time. For me, we played our best football last season in the shape below and it also I think suits the attacking players we have.

Zouma on the left I'm unsure about. I think it gives us the most balance. Mount centre left being able to come in on his right, Havertz centre right being able to come in on his left. Mount's work rate will help us out defensively and it puts him in his best position. Pulisic and Ziyech also in their best positions. Giroud up top to act as the focal point for the attacking players and to also help us out physically. He also gives the full-backs someone to aim for with their crosses.

I can fully understand you only going with Kante as your holding player. Afterall, he is used to playing on his fucking own when coupled with Jorginho.

Giroud will bring everything together. It's a very simple thing, which is escaping our Frank since the backend of last season.

Interesting you went without Timo. It does look a little like a balancing act to find places for all the new players.

Frank better start winning or he wont just have Olivier knocking on his door.

Your back four looks about right. Zouma could be replaced by Rudiger or Tomori at anytime if he continues being "old faithful"

Weird as it maybe, but I think if we asked 100 different Chelsea fans today what their preferred starting line up would be we would struggle to get more than half a dozen the same.  Thanks for sharing your choice. I very much enjoyed the post.

Man utd Away

Well Frank is consistent. Yet again he reverts to a 5 for games against Utd. Shame he didnt remember the player who made the difference at Wembley last season, but at least this became more evidence of why Giroud should play. Two goalless games in which we looked like we wouldnt score in a brothel, it's obvious to a blind man we lack that focal point that will bring all the new players together. Yes it takes time, but I stress, Frank isnt doing himself any favors & he is a lucky boy there are no fans at games.

Not much to be said about the penalty. They have been getting away with defending at corners n free kicks like that against us at Old Trafford for over a decade. No surprise.

Goalie looks ok and Silva is class. Other than that very little to say about a boring 90 mins in which we was set up not to lose rather than win.

-------------------------------------------------------

Oops Bamford ~ Fulham look doomed ~ Everton bubble burst? ~ Is Vardy Arsenals new Drogba?

Again, not understanding this obsession with Giroud as if he is the missing link. He was awful in the FA Cup final and was taken out of the game by David Luiz. Even more recently against Spurs, he offered virtually nothing. 

He should be used sparingly against specific opposition. I would've brought him on after we've taken the lead against Saints so our back line could protect the lead by playing it long to Giroud instead of risking playing it out from the back against Saint's press. 

Krasnodar Away

I feel there is far too much being made about last nights performance. 0-4 flattered us. Didn't agree with the starting line up, but understand we needed the win. Opposition were weak because of injury's and Joe Cole's glowing summing up of the game was not the game I sat through.

By the last 25 mins they were shattered & only then did we boss the game. Not enough was made of the standard of Krasnodar & I am not allowing myself to be hoodwinked on performance set up or "that ones for you boss" in reference to Roman being in attendance.

Fans in stadium ~ Wish it was me :twothumbsup:

On 27/10/2020 at 14:37, Cicero said:

Again, not understanding this obsession with Giroud as if he is the missing link. He was awful in the FA Cup final and was taken out of the game by David Luiz. Even more recently against Spurs, he offered virtually nothing. 

He should be used sparingly against specific opposition. I would've brought him on after we've taken the lead against Saints so our back line could protect the lead by playing it long to Giroud instead of risking playing it out from the back against Saint's press. 

9 goals in 18 at the back end of last season, was one of our best players in that time. I'm far from saying he should be starting every game but he was class in the second half of last season and some of the potential link-up play with the new players could be beautiful. Think he's a bit unlucky not to have had more game time.

On 27/10/2020 at 13:37, Cicero said:

Why are you not a football manager?

Away Burnley

I am amazed by the high fives n back slapping thriving between my fellow Chelsea fans after the past 3 results.

We are the only Premier League side not to win at Old Trafford this season. Our opponents in the CL are one of the weakest ever to play in the group stages AND they had a huge injury list. Burnley too have plenty of injuries and are suffering at all levels to find themselves this season, bottom of the table and a club we have scored at least 3 goals at their ground the past few seasons!

Tinkerman Frank swapped his starting line ups as thou he is playing FIFA career mode on a play station.

Some of you are claiming he has found his preferred starting 11. Has he fuck! He will change as each game comes and for me he still has no idea what his best 11 are.

So, why the change of sides for Zouma & Silva? Why are so many Chelsea biting on other fans getting at Mount? Can Frank please explain why our best CF is no 3 in his pecking order. It's all well and good Frank saying Havertz is a nice lad & don't mind playing in different positions. That might be great for his Tinkerman no fucking idea approach to football management, but it's not helping the boy find himself in our football. What has Kovacic done wrong?

I am not going to add to the Matt Law CHO bombshell from late last week other than I said the kind of people behind him before he made the first team squad & they have done nothing to prove me wrong.

Thank you for the kind words towards me for my evaluation of Hakim Ziyech while at Ajax. While I said he would be perfect for us at the time, I had no idea he would turn up with boots under his arm. While he has started well I must state if I highlight the low level of opposition we are currently winning against, it must also be said thats all he is playing well against. I must say I do have fingers crossed for him, and my son cry's out "Willian" everytime Hakim does something with the ball lol.

------------------------------------------------

Everton lose again ~ Villa weaknesses exposed again ~ Would Arsenal have got their penalty without ours being highlighted last weekend?

Recent results have shown some stability especially at the back, can't knock it but Silva and Mendy have managed to calm things down a bit and we don't seem so reckless with our defending as we were before, I won't say we don't have our moments because we do like against Burnley where they could easily have gone 1-0 up early on but Mendy is decisive in his decision making and that's the difference.. He doesn't hesitate to come out and make himself as big and as difficult to get past as he can, also very agile and one would wonder how many of those might have sneaked past Kepa if he had been in goal.. His presence along with Silva inspires some badly needed confidence in that area.. 

Clean sheets have been the most obvious improvement even if they have been against opposition we could be expected to beat and we are slowly moving from goalless draws to getting some fluidity up front to go along with it.. I won't get carried away just yet because like I said the teams we are beating right now are those we should be beating but the testers are always the likes of Spurs, City and the Liverpool's or anyone else that is in pretty good goal scoring form.. All the new players are settling in ok and slowly building up an understanding with each other and hopefully this will just get better as the season goes on.. I see Pulisic got injured in the warm up?? I do hope he is not going to be our new Arjen Robben, blessed with game changing skill but as fragile as a china plate

@The Liquidator

I agree with you mostly.

Regarding sticking to a formation and system, I don't think the squad profile at the moment will allow Lampard to stick constantly to that shape anyway. Who can play in the 'eight role' apart from Mount and Havertz? Ziyech at a push? Mount and Havertz won't be able to play every game there together. It's why I was annoyed about letting Barkley go who looked good in that position and shape when we used it last season. We also ideally need another DM. 

While the opposition have maybe been poor, Sevilla for example even are having a real problem with scoring goals at the moment, they really struggle to create and are in a bad patch of form as well so the context in which that clean sheet came about has to be taken into account as well. Despite this, there has been an improvement in the team shape, the defensive line is more compact and at one with the rest of the team and midfielders are getting caught out less with their pressing etc. That type of pressing where the midfielders go ahead (correctly or incorrectly) to press and the defensive line doesn't push up as well which leaves gaps to exploit. There has also been a lot of good blocks and last-ditch tackles, the type of defending which was basically non-existent before.

Edited by carefreeluke
  • Upvote 1

Home Rennes

Rennes president Nicolas Holveck summed it up in a nutshell. The man of the match was German referee Felix Zwayer. It's not often I am uncomfortable when we benefit from things that should not be, but last night the game was made to be a mockery with awarding of a second penalty & sending off of a player who for me did nothing wrong.

I guess if we are honest enough to accept we truly benefited from one there, it must also be accepted without those two penalties, we looked very unlikely to score. Many changes again to starting line up, for me, left us disjointed. No flow to our possession, a bit like a trial game with 11 hopefuls hoping to secure a contract with a new team. Rennes did not look like a CL side which again highlights what a wonderful job Drogba & Malouda did with the warm balls.

I have to say I really enjoyed big Pete blowing his own trumpet before the game. I have never felt he has got the plaudits he deserves for his time at the club. I felt and said at the time Jose made the wrong call when big nose was also at the club. You only had to listen to one interview with the Belgium stopper to know he wasnt a person to be trusted. I am happy Pete is back at the club as I am Frank. Just wish the latter would learn a bit quicker.

Edited by The Liquidator

Sheff Utd Home

Pretty obvious that there were parts of the game which were a marked improvement on what we have seen previously & I am sure this is what Frank is striving for more consistently.

Again I must stress the opposition was rank. No more than a Championship side lucky to be in the top league who look like they may struggle for sometime. However, they are a team who stuffed Franks season one offering last season & managed to get a draw at our place too, so it feels right to put them in their place.

Look I know I have been like a broken record beating the drum since Jorginho joined the club that we have been playing with 10 men as he is a passenger, but surly even the most football blind person must now see the difference with or without him. Saturday the ball moved quickly and more importantly with much more purpose through the midfield onto the forward players. With Billy back in full training I have fingers crossed we will see less n less of Jorginho before its time for me to drive him to the airport.

With the passenger removed we have to turn our attention to whoever else fits that description and I am afraid to say Tammy is next in line for that name tag. Leading the line isnt easy. That's a given so I fully accept his age and experience is against him. However, now he is surrounded by all these gifted individuals Frank has brought to the club his inability to be a consistent focal point will prove frustrating for both those players & us watching. He can get away with it in fixtures like Saturday's but there will come times this season when we will need top notch CF play to get us results against better teams. I am not confident Tammy is consistent enough to lead our line to the level thats going to be needed. I would love to be proven wrong & nobody would be more pleased for him than I.

Hakim Ziyech is so laid back in his after match interviews with cheeky knowing smile as he fends off pressing questions on his match winning performances. The Dutch said he was as popular off the pitch as he was on with both fellow players & fans and it's not taken long to see why. I agree with ABCBlackfoot & OriginalBlue, some of his play reminds me of Alan Hudson who would float across the grass & produce all the ammunition Ozzie & Huttchie needed to down Leeds Arsenal ect. I doubt many of you saw Huddie play so another who offered much the same was Micky Hazard who we got out of Spurs back in the day and soon became a club fav. Micky, when picked by Bobby Campbell who I never took too, would supply another of our great forward partnerships Dixon & Speedie. For obvious personnel reasons I hope Ziyech continues to excel, but he needs to quickly learn to look after himself as he is so lightweight he might end up another Pulisic.

Yet another crappy International break kills football for 2 weeks or so. One hopes all our players return safely with enough rest time as we are the 12.30 kick off up at Newcastle.

-----------------

Talking of which, I agree with everything most of the top managers have said about fixtures times ect. It's coming up to 15 years since Jose started this off and very little has been done. TV companies dont give a fuck (sky the most guilty since losing CL & EL to BT). They paid their money n want their pound of flesh. I have always said its about time PL got their own channel to pump out their stuff and if they did have it now, they wouldn't have been so embarrassed over the current PPV.

--------------------------------------

I try n limit the number of games I watch live these days, however I did watch City Liverpool from kick off to final whistle. For the said best two teams in our league I thought it was a sorry affair.

Because of that disappointment I skipped the first half of Arsenals outstanding performance against Villa, a Villa who have a new player pulling up trees in their midfield. I agree with everything written on our board about Barkley since his loan. I got tired of writing I felt there was a real player in him. Well those standing on the side for Villa are getting it out of him weekly.

Everton lost again & I felt for Carlo being faced with a stat of first time he has lost 3 league games back to back. He handled it ok, but you could see he did not appreciate the news.

I looked up the youtube channel so recommended by many of you produced by Watford goalie Foster ~ Yep you are right "Outstanding"

OMG Lookman   :dam:

• Subscriber

Dynamo Moscow's 1945 tour of Britain: Was it really 'war minus the shooting?'

_112439794_sport_insight_banner.png

Chelsae.thumb.png.459457280576188b4aa97ee9112a8d87.png

It was a Tuesday afternoon in November 1945 and the streets of Fulham were teeming. Tens of thousands of people were about to witness something most hadn't been able to since 1939, while for some it would be a lifetime first. They were on their way to attend a football match where a British team faced foreign opposition.

Local residents were hiring out their front gardens for bicycle storage, on street corners, people were selling toffee apples, oranges and match programmes, while touts were getting £4 for tickets that originally cost 10 shillings - eight times the face value.

The pavements were filled with uniformed armed forces personnel walking alongside shift workers and children darting between gaps among the bustling crowd making its way to Stamford Bridge.

The desire to see the match was insatiable. Some blagged their way into adjoining houses to get a view, others followed rail and tube lines around the stadium to get in unseen. Steeplejacks, the intrepid and the many with military training climbed up the back of stands, sitting precariously 100 feet up on the stadium roofs.

Chelsea2.thumb.png.ba60aa4071202d02783eb70c1b1f45f3.png

FULL REPORT

Edited by CaaC (John)