talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, Batard said:

What's particularly evident about Chelsea right now is the lack of creativity in the final 3rd, which is frankly bizarre given the talent at their disposal. The two behind Lukaku aren't doing enough, they seem incapable of playing useful passes. What I've seen is when they push just inside of the wing with the wing back moving on the overlap, if a centreback of centre mid joins to create an overload, it leaves the wide attacker with too many outside options and only Lukaku in the box. Without Pulisic no one is busting a gut to get in the box. There's just a lack of movement off the ball. Lukaku's ability to make something out of nothing is massive. 

We’re being carried mate slightly by Lukaku at the moment. Our other attacking players aren’t performing as well as they should be, even Mount. 

Havertz - has moments of brilliance but isn’t consistent, his Champions League final goal means that he’s untouchable for the time being.

Mount - i’ve just documented his recent form above, last season he was the heartbeat of the team but hasn’t been himself of late. What he brings tactically helps him cement his place in the team 

Pulisic - dumb

Ziyech - dumber 

I’ve been saying for a while now that we need the attacking players to step up. Last season we more or less got by because of Mount and rotating the others and then them chipping in here and there. Now that Mount is not on it, the lack of quality is a lot more evident. I adore Mount but will always call out any player if they’re not performing well enough.

Lukaku won’t be able to carry us all season and will undoubtedly go through a rough patch himself and hence we need the others to step up.  

I’m still not confident enough in our attack to be strong enough for the title and hence think we’ll fall short. Hopefully, I’m wrong. We should be right up there in the mix with the squad we have though.

Edited by carefreeluke

Low block, compact the midfield and restrict the width of our wing backs. A system that is quite frankly our kryptonite. West Brom of all clubs knew how to use it successfully and we saw it again last night. 

The damning thing is that against this system, it highlights even more the poor decision making of our attackers. Last season was a pass, but as Luke alluded to if there is no improvement than zero mercy. Mount possibly the biggest culprit at the moment. 

Under Frank, Mount seemed to be determined to make his mark on the pitch. I noticed towards the end of last season before matches he seemed to be laughing and joking around. 

Just wondering if Tuchel needs to have a word as technically he is not one of the best yet his hard work rate is one of the best when he tries.

It might be an attitude thing if not Tuchel needs to work on the link up play.

• Upvote 1

He's a number 8 playing in an attacking midfielder role. He needs to develop his game if he really wants to succeed there. 

Tuchel on the other hand needs to suss out which players can play together and which cannot. Mount and Ziyech CANNOT play together. 

1 hour ago, Waylander said:

Under Frank, Mount seemed to be determined to make his mark on the pitch. I noticed towards the end of last season before matches he seemed to be laughing and joking around. 

Just wondering if Tuchel needs to have a word as technically he is not one of the best yet his hard work rate is one of the best when he tries.

It might be an attitude thing if not Tuchel needs to work on the link up play.

Yes I have heard others voice your Mount\Lampard point. There is no doubt he has alot of minutes in his legs over the last year and been exposed to a level of importance very few of his age get to enjoy. I feel sure his production will return and agree Tuchel will be watched by as all for how he handles our best talent. He has always striked me as level headed kinda guy and I dont feel Mason will be a problem.

32 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Yes I have heard others voice your Mount\Lampard point. There is no doubt he has alot of minutes in his legs over the last year and been exposed to a level of importance very few of his age get to enjoy. I feel sure his production will return and agree Tuchel will be watched by as all for how he handles our best talent. He has always striked me as level headed kinda guy and I dont feel Mason will be a problem.

Yes I agree he has been the best of our young players just hope he keeps his nose to the grindstone as one might say.

Also hope he keeps learning too.

He hasn't been terrible but nowhere near the standards of the last season, there are players performing worse than him in attacking areas but I'll call out anyone if I don't think their performing to what they're capable of and Mount fits that description at the moment despite probably being my favourite Chelsea player these days.

For me, he's been our best player, not only last season but the season before as well. At his best, he does everything and sets the tempo for the rest of the team, his absence was felt when he missed a game last season or the season before last.

I don't know if he's got a bit complacent, played too much football or whatever but he's not at last season's level where he set himself some high standards. The worst thing for me at the moment with him is that he seems to be losing the ball a lot when retaining the ball is normally one of his strong points, you never really used to see him lose the ball ever. Hopefully, it's just a small bad patch and he'll come out of it.

Edited by carefreeluke

@carefreeluke

Mount has been our best player is a stretch. Not for me. Since this manager turned up the best performing players have been defenders and during Franks time, when Kante was on the pitch he was the best player.

Mount is doing ok. For me if everybody is fit he isnt a shoe-in to start. His problem is & will continue to be is he is a jack of several positions n Master of none.

29 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Reece James home was burglarised yesterday. Thieves stole his European Cup medals and Euro Championship medal. 

They took his safe and pushed it up the drive before loading it in their car.. It was not small either.. Hope someone dobs them in when they try and get rid of the medals...  

• Sad 1

Things like this do raise the odd smile... 

Jorginho tweeting a quote from Rio Ferdinand back in 2019 after winning the Uefa player of the year award... 

" He gets no assists, He's not a great defender, Once a game gets like this against the big sides he gets overrun in midfield and he can't run" 

B|

See the source image

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Cicero said:

Reece James home was burglarised yesterday. Thieves stole his European Cup medals and Euro Championship medal. 

18 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

They took his safe and pushed it up the drive before loading it in their car.. It was not small either.. Hope someone dobs them in when they try and get rid of the medals...  

Has to be someone he knows or someone he knows spilled the beans on where he keeps his valuables.

26 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Things like this do raise the odd smile... 

Jorginho tweeting a quote from Rio Ferdinand back in 2019 after winning the Uefa player of the year award... 

" He gets no assists, He's not a great defender, Once a game gets like this against the big sides he gets overrun in midfield and he can't run" 

B|

See the source image

That's Rio all over. Absolute shit pundit he is. 

Can't say I'm surprised though, we're talking about a bloke whose only bit of famous punditry is for saying "Ole's at the wheel'.

Nice one Rio. We've dined on that one for ages.

On 08/02/2018 at 14:35, Cicero said:

Jorginho is a big waste of money, he can't run for shit!! I could run faster than that with my pants round my ankles.

On 07/03/2018 at 14:28, Cicero said:

Jorginho couldn't make a successful pass if he was the only man in a room of 100 women.

On 16/04/2018 at 16:12, Cicero said:

What a waste of money the Jorginho signing has been, well out of his depth at level.

On 31/05/2018 at 21:06, Cicero said:

I stand by what I said about Jorginho, that money would have been better spent on someone with talent

On 24/07/2018 at 20:31, Cicero said:

Jorgino never helps out defensively when we need it most, I have seen asthmatic ants with heavy shopping move quicker than he does

On 05/10/2018 at 14:17, Cicero said:

Why we signed Jorginho I will never know??? fucking clueless in all areas of the pitch, better off getting rid!! I don't want a player like that at our club. 

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

You can probably dig out some posts of mine saying similar things and I still stand by them, great on his day, with a skill set that can be useful for any top club no doubt but overall he isn't consistent enough. He's benefited from roles in two good systems this year, with us and Italy which allow him a lot of protection. I think him being in contention for the Ballon d'Or says more about the competition he's had and more notably the emphasis that gets put on collective trophies, rather than individual performances. Overall, he's had a positive year no doubt, I appreciate his role in the squad but he probably isn't as good as some of the recognition he's been getting this year. 

21 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

You can probably dig out some posts of mine saying similar things and I still stand by them, great on his day, with a skill set that can be useful for any top club no doubt but overall he isn't consistent enough. He's benefited from roles in two good systems this year, with us and Italy which allow him a lot of protection. I think him being in contention for the Ballon d'Or says more about the competition he's had and more notably the emphasis that gets put on collective trophies, rather than individual performances. Overall, he's had a positive year no doubt, I appreciate his role in the squad but he probably isn't as good as some of the recognition he's been getting this year. 

I wondered who you was talking about?

Yeah, its the biggest slap in the face to the other Chelsea players as their all season passenger picks up a gong for very little. I guess if France had won the Euro's or Croatia, Kante & Kovacic would have taken the UEFA gong. Maybe your boy would have got it if England had managed to fall over the line. Makes you wonder if Emerson Palmieri had made 10 more Chelsea appearances last season his name would already be engraved on the Ballon d'or.

In his favor Jorginho is a better player today because of his time in the Premier League. Think back to his refusing to run back when losing the ball & pussy footed attitude to tackling when he first turned up. Both have improved and by all accounts he is well liked by the other players. For me he above all benefited from Co-vid ban on fans attending. Before the ban he was getting alot of stick both home and away. When we return he is holding the CL and shaking hands receiving a UEFA gong.

The knowledge of those who don't attend games.

Spurs Away

Game of two halves with the manager being praised for his change of formation at half time when replacing the under performing Mount with a Third Holding midfielder. Of course if you are one of us you know this is the 2nd manager of Chelsea to use this formation to beat Spurs. Conte did exactly the same from the start at Wembley to win in a league game. Thomas says he wanted a higher tempo more energy. Spurs looked to have tired in the 2nd half which helped our dominance to steam roll them.

I think we can all agree our performance in the first half was below average, but Spurs have to be praised for the effort they put in pressing our defenders in Keeper as we attempted to play out from the back. On the whole we kept the ball well and never looked in trouble. Alas being kept in our own half for so long kinda highlighted the Mount breakaway he fucked up with a pass behind Lukaku and then unable to finish off Lukaku's ball back to him with a miss hit shot.

Many had Silva as MOTM. Not for me, I felt Alonso was most deserving of that and on another day he could\should have scored at least a brace. Kepa kept a clean sheet, but still has most of us on tender hooks when he is called into action.

Lastly, I don't get to watch many of the games on TV, especially on Sky as I find their coverage terrible. This match I watched at a Golf club and without access to the remote control was forced to endure Sky's output and their chosen pundits & commentary team. I pity anyone who pays Sky to watch their EPL offerings.

• Upvote 1

Credit to Tuchel for pulling Mount at the weekend, one of my favourite in game changes I can think of in recent years. Don't accept mediocrity, players have to be in the team based on merit and nobody's place in the team is given.

I'm singling out Mount but the likes of Havertz, Ziyech and Pulisic haven't been much better and you could say worse. The Mount change though, given his status and performances in the team the last two years, makes a strong statement.

Edited by carefreeluke
  • Like 1