talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

Aston Villa Home LC

Not much to say other than we looked a little like Franks time by not being able to kill off a game. Everybody who took part looked to have put a shift in. Alas one or two had me raising an eyebrow suspecting their ability. Rather than name drop them, feel safe I don't expect to see them very often this season.

Villa look to have one or two young players who will have a career in the Premier League. I have seen Villa twice with most of their squad gaining airtime. They should be fine this season.

Back to London this weekend with the biggest match of the weekend being slotted into the lunchtime kick off. Kinda sums up how TV has helped create a monster at the detriment of its watching public.

On 22/09/2021 at 06:03, carefreeluke said:

I was doubtful about how good he was when he joined and always saw him as a bit overrated.

Proved me wrong, absolute don.

@El Profesor

IMO Thiago is a generational defender. Probably the best brazilian CB I've ever seen.

I was afraid that this move to England at such a late stage of his carrer would ruin his reputation and I'm glad the opposite happened. 

The move to Chelsea took his legacy to another level. 

• Upvote 1

Home Man City EPL

On the face of it, there are those who would have you believe Pep worked a number on us getting his first positive result against Thomas in 4 games. I didn't see anything new other than their 11 players leaving the pitch at the end of the game completely and utterly knackered. I don't think I have seen a club work so hard at Stamford Bridge to gain a positive result and for that City must be praised. We truly must have hurt them in the Euro final.

So is that the reason we lost? I don't think so. They got what they needed with the goal, a deflection, but more importantly many of our players underperformed. For me the game was lost by our midfield 5, Kante Jorginho Kovacic and the two wing backs. They were charged with releasing the ball to the two forward players something they failed to do through the entire game. Again City must be praised for their work rate closing the 3 middle players and either fouling them or winning the ball back to stop any counter attacks. However, having three players who struggle to pass the ball forward is self inflicted and held us pinned in our own half for long periods. It was only when Reuben Loftus-Cheek was introduced we looked like we could move forward. Selection n tactics are down to the manager and I am pleased he again pointed to himself as being wrong. We had a breakaway in the 2nd half when Kovacic had both forwards ahead of him and both available for the right pass which of course isn't in Kovacic locker. It was painful sitting up in the stands cause you could see how open the forwards were yet somehow you knew there was little chance of a Fabregas ball. I feel sure Thomas and his staff know we have a problem from midfield as they took on the boy from Athletico who I am told has that pass in him. All that confirms is how much of a mistake of a team selection was made.

Disappointing result, but a far more disappointing performance.

We have only conceded two goals this season, one each from Jesus & Mohamad . Divine intervention for selling Moses and Abraham? :ay:

That was a very poor performance where our weakness was exposed by a team with no form n many injuries to 1st 11 players.

We finished the game with  a couple of players on the pitch who just a few short weeks ago we were desperately trying get rid of and a young kid playing in his secondary position, although he did more than the bloke he replaced. Might be said our manager has got himself into a pickle or our opposition has sussed who are our passengers.

The past two games have illuminated this coming weekends. Lets hope our new centre forward gets the service he needs to do his job.

On 28/09/2021 at 02:38, The Liquidator said:

Home Man City EPL

On the face of it, there are those who would have you believe Pep worked a number on us getting his first positive result against Thomas in 4 games. I didn't see anything new other than their 11 players leaving the pitch at the end of the game completely and utterly knackered. I don't think I have seen a club work so hard at Stamford Bridge to gain a positive result and for that City must be praised. We truly must have hurt them in the Euro final.

So is that the reason we lost? I don't think so. They got what they needed with the goal, a deflection, but more importantly many of our players underperformed. For me the game was lost by our midfield 5, Kante Jorginho Kovacic and the two wing backs. They were charged with releasing the ball to the two forward players something they failed to do through the entire game. Again City must be praised for their work rate closing the 3 middle players and either fouling them or winning the ball back to stop any counter attacks. However, having three players who struggle to pass the ball forward is self inflicted and held us pinned in our own half for long periods. It was only when Reuben Loftus-Cheek was introduced we looked like we could move forward. Selection n tactics are down to the manager and I am pleased he again pointed to himself as being wrong. We had a breakaway in the 2nd half when Kovacic had both forwards ahead of him and both available for the right pass which of course isn't in Kovacic locker. It was painful sitting up in the stands cause you could see how open the forwards were yet somehow you knew there was little chance of a Fabregas ball. I feel sure Thomas and his staff know we have a problem from midfield as they took on the boy from Athletico who I am told has that pass in him. All that confirms is how much of a mistake of a team selection was made.

Disappointing result, but a far more disappointing performance.

We have only conceded two goals this season, one each from Jesus & Mohamad . Divine intervention for selling Moses and Abraham? :ay:

I don't think you're placing enough blame at the feet of Lukaku and Werner. They failed to link up with their midfield or each other, their touches in crowds were terrible and ended in turnovers, and every time Werner was 1 on 1 with his CB he failed to create anything

BBC carrying some comments from Tuchel who says the weight of expectation of being league favourites has negatively affected his team.

Not sure on this yet though interestingly now he has mentioned it you expect some reaction.

He added 90% of the time support works, 10% of the time discipline works.

Home Southampton EPL

Not the most fluent of performances but an excellent 3 points against a side who of late have an excellent record at Stamford Bridge and for once leave empty handed.

Many changes to the starting line up by the manager with a few rarely seen faces getting starts and airtime throughout the fixture. The standout player, at least while he had the ball at his feet in an attacking phase was Reuben Loftus-Cheek. His effort without the ball continues to be an issue, but it was a real pleasure to see someone in the middle of the park in a Chelsea shirt carry the ball forward as an attacking menace. Yes Kovacic can carry the ball forward but lacks the penetrating ball to allow a chance on goal. FFS Rudiger is proving to be better than him in that position!

The less said about the passenger the better. Southampton may have been reduced to ten men, but we were soon the same when Jorginho appeared.

CHO got his wish and started wide left against the 18 year old who we sold to Southampton in the summer. Alas Odi did very little with some bidding Livramento as their player of the match. He sure earned the penalty.

Laugh of the game for me was ItalianStalion, who you may know sits just in front of me at home games who turned to our group and proclaimed "I can't believe he has put on Barkley for Ruben?" just as Ross produced a contender for pass of the season out wide to Dave leading to Werner's goal. It was a classic ball as well as a classic Stallion moment.

I am not going to get into Werner's disallowed goal. We had no idea what was going on till Daves name was put up on the screen as the guilty party. I am not sure if its the true amount but someone said Werner has now had 8 goals disallowed since being at the club. Poor lad can't catch a break and judging by Saturday Mike Dean will soon be going back to previous fixtures to stop Timo from adding to his total.

It's strange this season with Reuben Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Mount, Chilwell and Chalobah it is almost more than Frank achieved towards developing an English core. Though perhaps more down to circumstances rather than intention.

Make you wonder what Frank L. thinks.

Edited by Waylander

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/10/2021 at 08:05, The Liquidator said:

Away Brentford

Anthony Taylor ~ Fucks sake

A very comfortable 70 mins lead too a bombardment of 20 minutes that reminded of Wimbledon in their pomp. Thorn and Winterburn lumping the ball forward to Fash n Corky with others taking advantage of the mayhem the long ball created with chances of 2nd balls. Those last minutes would have been wonderful to enjoy if it wasn't my club under the cosh. Our young central defense lacked an organizer but rode their luck and benefited from a good performance from Mendy. They did not have it in them to move one across to help both wing backs who were left with up too 3 attackers when facing long balls in from the opposite touchline. I feel certain Silva would have dealt with those 20 minutes.

Sarr. Looked to me as a very strong young man who plays like a Train crash waiting to happen
Loftus-Cheek. As ever pure class with the ball moving forward, but still a passenger without the ball.
Chillwell. I think he plays further forward than Alonso lol.
Mendy. Wonderful shot stopper with none stick hands
Lukaku&Werner. Signs there isn't much understanding between them yet.

They say winning all points with late defensive performances builds belief in the squad. Killing games off before half time builds belief too but also stops the opposition from being optimistic they might get a result out of us.

That's where we need to be.

• Upvote 2

Pulisic not spotted in training again this morning. Ship has sailed. Can't ever be relied on for an entire season and even when fit, he is hit or miss under Tuchel. 

Pulisic injuries since joining Chelsea :

- 11 injuries

- 38 matches missed

- 335 days out
Edited by Cicero

17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Pulisic not spotted in training again this morning. Ship has sailed. Can't ever be relied on for an entire season and even when fit, he is hit or miss under Tuchel. 

Pulisic injuries since joining Chelsea :

- 11 injuries

- 38 matches missed

- 335 days out

Pretty poor all round.. currently out with an ankle/foot injury but should have been at least back training by now.. Ziyech is another concern, he has missed two training sessions now due to a headache.. not sure what's going on there

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Pretty poor all round.. currently out with an ankle/foot injury but should have been at least back training by now.. Ziyech is another concern, he has missed two training sessions now due to a headache.. not sure what's going on there

Ziyech didn't even have international duty and he's injured, and much like Pulisic he is hit or miss under Tuchel. 

Both undoubtedly need to be transfer listed next summer. 

So the likes of Pulisic, Havertz and Ziyech can perform how they like because they were bought for good money or are more experienced but Hudson-Odoi gets shifted after one bad performance. Who knows if Hudson-Odoi will even fulfill his potential and start performing consistently but put him in the team for ten games straight now and he'd offer more than the previous three in that time, that's for sure.

8 hours ago, shut up said:

Hasnt Havertz been dropped as well though? 

Yeah mate but it's an accumulation of the last year or so. Even if those three get dropped, they'll still have more opportunities to impress and they'll even remain in the team for longer periods even if they're underperfoming. Hudson-Odoi can be pulled after a bad 45 minutes and you won't see him again for a couple of weeks, not only that, he's also normally not played in his best position either.

The reality is with Pulisic and Havertz is that they'll have one good game in 6 which keeps everyone who watches them ticking over, Ziyech has one good game in 12. 

They may come good again in the future and I'm not ruling that out but that's the pure honest opinion I have of them after watching them the past year or so. We can't forget how good Pulisic was in that return period after lockdown, Havertz found some good form at the back end of last season and this season to be fair the system or position hasn't suited him as much.

I just think sometimes the treatment and use of Hudson-Odoi is unfair.

• Upvote 1

Home Norwich

A very straight forward fixture which for once we killed off before the half and enjoyed a second half without worry. It must be said they are very poor and on this performance probably worse than we have seen from them during their recent EPL seasons. I was shocked by their managers substitutions at half time as was almost all around me. 7Oaks said we should get 10 now and to be fair with him it was a good shout. We finished the game with a mixture of second n third stringers on the pitch plus 5 of the goals scored by Home growns. On the whole a enjoyable day n trip home.

Wasnt till I saw MOTD I saw Mount act the Pratt before taking the penalties. I wonder who talks to the young players since John moved on. Someone needs to have a quite word with Mason.

• Upvote 1