talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

I very much like our manager for the most part & I think his award last night is well deserved. He is very honest in his summing up of games, pretty much telling it as it is and wise enough not to fall into traps the garbage media set like this current postponements of games other clubs benefit from where we didn't.

There is a huge weakness in his make up. He is very poor changing from the bench. Mount, who for some unknown reason was on the bench this past weekend, was looked over a full 12 mins after CHO & Werner were injected into the team from the bench and Havertz never got onto the pitch.

This is just the tip of the Iceberg one could list as examples since he has been with us. I hope he gets better.

Talking of CHO, this left footed cross that left the stadium should be just landing near Lands End by the time you read this.

What a Pass 🤡

---------------------------------

Congrats to Emma Hayes! Very deserved & the best studio pundit to be introduced to mens games in an age. Good on you Girl!

10 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

I very much like our manager for the most part & I think his award last night is well deserved. He is very honest in his summing up of games, pretty much telling it as it is and wise enough not to fall into traps the garbage media set like this current postponements of games other clubs benefit from where we didn't.

There is a huge weakness in his make up. He is very poor changing from the bench. Mount, who for some unknown reason was on the bench this past weekend, was looked over a full 12 mins after CHO & Werner were injected into the team from the bench and Havertz never got onto the pitch.

This is just the tip of the Iceberg one could list as examples since he has been with us. I hope he gets better.

Talking of CHO, this left footed cross that left the stadium should be just landing near Lands End by the time you read this.

What a Pass 🤡

---------------------------------

Congrats to Emma Hayes! Very deserved & the best studio pundit to be introduced to mens games in an age. Good on you Girl!

I doubt he speaks honestly about his teams selections and subs, all part of deflecting from the media and keeping up squad morale.

I really think we needed Mount and Havertz to come on against City yet don't know his reasons for not changing. Were they off form in training or niglging injury risks or just manager miscalculation.

I was once sitting in the Benches at SB (rather than the Shed) and we had an ageing Steve Clark at LB losing 0-1 and a younger Clive Wilson on the bench. In the 2nd half I started up a chant for Clive Wilson and several minutes later he came on. He played ok and we got an equaliser. 

Never know if these were related yet perhaps I prompted a prevaricating Bobby Campbell to make a change. Not sure that happens today in the grounds.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

A successful night for Chelsea

Speaking of Chelsea.

The Blues had a very good night at the Fifa Best Awards.

• Thomas Tuchel won the award for the Best Fifa men's coach for guiding Chelsea to their second Champions League title after only joining the club in January.
  • Edouard Mendy won the award for the Best Fifa men's goalkeeper after a successful first season with the club.
  • Emma Hayes won the award for the Best Fifa women's coach as her side won a treble of domestic trophies.
  • And Jorginho and N'Golo Kante were named in the men's world XI.

How does Mendy win best GK yet not in the world XI?

Is the lack of goals worrying for you? One tonight, nil against City and a lucky goal which hit the player's back and went in against Spurs. The two "You scored" against Spurs in the first match were

a lucky deflection and an own goal. Your forwards are NOT firing.

Edited by Chickasaw

31 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'd say looking completely lost as a team the most worrying. 

You should NOT have bought back Lukaku, it's nearly always a mistake to buy back, player or coach. Arsene Wenger said you'll struggle to get top 4, on this evidence he might be right.

Edited by Chickasaw

9 hours ago, Chickasaw said:

You should NOT have bought back Lukaku, it's nearly always a mistake to buy back, player or coach. Arsene Wenger said you'll struggle to get top 4, on this evidence he might be right.

For me last season we were missing a striker, Werner was too limited, Havertz wasn't firing and Broja a little too raw.

I think we will be ok next season though whether Lukaku stays is another question.

Chelsea's problem is that they spend ridiculous amounts within 1-2 years of 2 separate managers being in charge and because of this no one can be given time. The only alternative to a manager like that is a manager like Conte who will win straight away and then fall off leaving them in a rehiring position again.

It helps that Liverpool and City have two of the best managers in the world but longevity cannot be underrated.

11 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Who will be Chelsea's next manager if this form continues?

Running out of people to hire now xD

Well with Salah and Mane getting older how long before Klopp looks overseas?

Everton currently are struggling and I expect some day JT will give it a go.

Edited by Waylander

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Chelsea's problem is that they spend ridiculous amounts within 1-2 years of 2 separate managers being in charge and because of this no one can be given time. The only alternative to a manager like that is a manager like Conte who will win straight away and then fall off leaving them in a rehiring position again.

It helps that Liverpool and City have two of the best managers in the world but longevity cannot be underrated.

I think Tuchel has his faults, but his pros heavily out weigh them. 

Honestly he's the only manager I can see be a long term success with us given the patience. 

Edited by Cicero

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Chelsea being successful and having to play football games after last night’s weekly Tuchel moan?

When a coach starts to moan and find excuses it normally spells the end is nearing. I don't feel sorry for Chelsea or any team, my point was about buying back. Has Ronaldo set Trafford alight? The points about who takes over are valid, who will and who will after Conte at Tottenham? For me Spurs have a remedy................sell Kane. Not sure for Chelsea.

Edited by Chickasaw

It didn't come off last night yet when you look at the overall stats last night it does not look so gloomy away from home and having the highest number of matches is certainly a factor to take into account.

Of course the media are always looking for the latest crisis.

We had more shots and more shots on target re the BBC's match report.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Waylander said:

Well with Salah and Mane getting older how long before Klopp looks overseas?

Everton currently are struggling and I expect some day JT will give it a go.

Think Klopp takes a break after Liverpool. Feel like he said as much a while back? Apologies if wrong. 

37 minutes ago, Chickasaw said:

When a coach starts to moan and find excuses it normally spells the end is nearing. I don't feel sorry for Chelsea or any team, my point was about buying back. Has Ronaldo set Trafford alight? The points about who takes over are valid, who will and who will after Conte at Tottenham? For me Spurs have a remedy................sell Kane. Not sure for Chelsea.

What are you even arguing?

Buying back a player works if a player has the right mentality. I understand its a different pressure from Palace to Chelsea but Sean Derry was very average the first time he played for Palace but in his second spell he became club captain and made such an impact that ten years later he's on Patrick Vieira's coaching staff despite having no geographical connection to Crystal Palace.

If going back to an old flame hasn't worked for Lukaku, Ronaldo, Pogba etc that's on them. Thierry Henry, Sol Campbell, Robbie Fowler and Juninho all returned to previous clubs and despite not being in there prime didn't disgrace themselves. If you want better examples of players not in later years look at Nemanja Matic, Robbie Keane and Jermaine Defoe 

• Upvote 1

A very tired looking performance not helped when you start the game with only 9 players on the pitch.

I heard Simon Jordan this morning while driving, defending our manager of stating our whole squad is tired. I understand he is the only so called pundit to do so as other plebs have put the boot in on our draw epidemic. I believe since Dec 1st Brighton have played 9 games to our 16.

So yeah its a little tough and when you throw in a couple of key injuries you start to see the true picture of why we have found ourselves as also rans for the title half way through January.

Maybe the guys will be re-freshed at the business end of the cups?

City have two players in their squad that weren't signed by Pep Guardiola. (Fernandinho & Sterling)

Liverpool have 2 players in their squad that weren't signed by Jurgen Klopp. (Henderson & Origi)

Chelsea have a squad of players signed by 6 different managers. Roberto DiMatteo, Jose Mourinho, Antonio Conte, Maurizio Sarri, Frank Lampard and Thomas Tuchel.

Edited by Cicero
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

A very tired looking performance not helped when you start the game with only 9 players on the pitch.

I heard Simon Jordan this morning while driving, defending our manager of stating our whole squad is tired. I understand he is the only so called pundit to do so as other plebs have put the boot in on our draw epidemic. I believe since Dec 1st Brighton have played 9 games to our 16.

So yeah its a little tough and when you throw in a couple of key injuries you start to see the true picture of why we have found ourselves as also rans for the title half way through January.

Maybe the guys will be re-freshed at the business end of the cups?

Chelsea certainly looks tired, so do a lot of other clubs.  It's been hard season, first many of the Premier players didn't have much of a summer break due to the Euros and I think Covid has had a greater effect than we realise. When you are tired and perhaps feeling down due to the restrictions society has implemented to fight Covid you are more susceptible to injuries. 

I have never been a fan of the winter breaks that leagues in Europe have, but if we expect players to play International tournaments almost every summer, maybe it's time to consider shutting down for longer than a week in January or February.  

On 20/01/2022 at 16:18, Redcanuck said:

Chelsea certainly looks tired, so do a lot of other clubs.  It's been hard season, first many of the Premier players didn't have much of a summer break due to the Euros and I think Covid has had a greater effect than we realise. When you are tired and perhaps feeling down due to the restrictions society has implemented to fight Covid you are more susceptible to injuries. 

I have never been a fan of the winter breaks that leagues in Europe have, but if we expect players to play International tournaments almost every summer, maybe it's time to consider shutting down for longer than a week in January or February.  

Hope you are well mate.

Yeah I have no doubt tiredness is a major factor in our drop in form. Injuries too have played a part, but the fact that our forward players, like last season are not putting away the chances we create is allowing opponents to get something out of games few have deserved.

I have never been against winter breaks, but firmly believe the breaks should not be used by clubs to arrange lucrative fixtures somewhere warm stating its to help the players warm down or whatever.

Banning International football would get my vote too. It's become the worst 10 days to 2 weeks of each football season month when the International fixtures come around and your players come back injured.

On 20/01/2022 at 14:31, Cicero said:

City have two players in their squad that weren't signed by Pep Guardiola. (Fernandinho & Sterling)

Liverpool have 2 players in their squad that weren't signed by Jurgen Klopp. (Henderson & Origi)

Chelsea have a squad of players signed by 6 different managers. Roberto DiMatteo, Jose Mourinho, Antonio Conte, Maurizio Sarri, Frank Lampard and Thomas Tuchel.

Gomez, Milner and Firmino. Take your point though.

• Like 1