talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Storts said:

Keep telling yourself that 

Out of interest and you’re obviously well informed on the matter, why wouldn’t he be?

Out of all the options i would have thought Enrique, but it seems they’ve missed out on him. Would Poch not be a good shout to get the best out of the young players?

16 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Out of interest and you’re obviously well informed on the matter, why wouldn’t he be?

Out of all the options i would have thought Enrique, but it seems they’ve missed out on him. Would Poch not be a good shout to get the best out of the young players?

I think it’s less about being informed and more about understanding what sort of coach Poch is and what sort of club Chelsea is.

He presents the less risk. 

- Knows the League.

- Knows the Champions League. 

- Experienced with working and developing young players. 

- Oversaw a squad overhaul. 

- Roman wanted him twice and was allegedly Boehly's first choice back in September. 

He's arguably the perfect fit for where we are as a club right now. Potter was given more time than any Chelsea manager in the past 20 years. Far, far more than he deserved. I can see the club backing Poch and with no Europe next season + a trimmed down squad it could work in his favor. 

Chelsea are a paint by numbers Picasso clusterfuck, a team with as much sense as Elvish scrabble.  Some of the signings have been nothing short of abject.  When Chelsea needed a proven goal getter they get Datro Fofana, a project as much as Broja, Mudryk a guy with 50 games ever in Ukraine and Noni the most nonsense signing ever.

what the fuck are they playing at?

On 25/04/2023 at 13:14, Cicero said:

Potter was given more time than any Chelsea manager in the past 20 years.

Pretty sure you've had managers last more than a fraction of a season in the last 20 years tbh.

I think if Poch comes in to this Chelsea squad, he needs to be afforded patience... and I'm not sure the Chelsea fans have the required patience if things start to go wrong, I'm not even sure Boehly & co. have much patience (mostly because I don't think they actually know what they're doing - and they're probably prone to being overly influenced by the media and fans). Meanwhile, the culture of the club has allowed players to down tools when they don't like a manager... and I don't think that changes unless there's basically a wholesale clearout at the club.

So if Poch comes in and doesn't hit the ground running... or if the club has a blip in form that most clubs experience over a season... I think he'll find himself under a lot of pressure. I think there's a lot that needs to change at Chelsea for any sort of long term planning to be successfully implemented. Also you probably need a good director of football to make the football decisions instead of a rich American married to a Walmart heiress thinking he can apply what's worked at his MLB side to football.

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pretty sure you've had managers last more than a fraction of a season in the last 20 years tbh.

Who has done worse than Potter whilst lasting longer?

Not even Mourinho 2.0 was given that much time that season we finished 10th. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Who has done worse than Potter whilst lasting longer?

Not even Mourinho 2.0 was given that much time that season we finished 10th. 

Did any of them have to deal with loads of money spent on players before being brought in? I guess other than Mourinho who did really well with Ranieri's last signings made as Chelsea's manager in his first stint? Because if I remember right, Chelsea gave Tuchel basically a blank check... and then sacked him to bring in Potter. And how much of Potter (or even Fat Frank) being shit at managing this season... is down to them actually being bad managers vs. players deciding "fuck this, I want to play for someone else." Granted, with Fat Frank we've got his time at Everton where he also didn't really do anything either - and given his history as a manager where he's ended up leaving clubs in the exact same spot as he found them... there's probably not a lot to expect of him as an interim manager now that you're worse than the last time he was around.

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Did any of them have to deal with loads of money spent on players before being brought in? I guess other than Mourinho who did really well with Ranieri's last signings made as Chelsea's manager in his first stint? Because if I remember right, Chelsea gave Tuchel basically a blank check... and then sacked him to bring in Potter. And how much of Potter (or even Fat Frank) being shit at managing this season... is down to them actually being bad managers vs. players deciding "fuck this, I want to play for someone else." Granted, with Fat Frank we've got his time at Everton where he also didn't really do anything either - and given his history as a manager where he's ended up leaving clubs in the exact same spot as he found them... there's probably not a lot to expect of him as an interim manager now that you're worse than the last time he was around.

Potter was given far more time beyond what was reasonably expected. Club had plenty of grounds to have sacked him earlier and still gave him the benefit of the doubt. No Chelsea manager in the past 20 years had that same luxury. Not even Mourinho 2.0. Plenty of signs that showed Potter was well and truly out of his element, and it took being placed bottom half for the club to act. 

If the club stick by Poch the same way they had Potter I will be happy. 

Is it going too far if I say that Chelsea this season have under delivered more than any other team in the history of football?

3rd last season, spent over half a billion, now struggling to finish in the top half.

• Upvote 1

In terms of competence/effort it is possibly the most a team has ever deserved to be relegated. 

But having one of the best coaches in the world for a few games and a team with multiple elite players in almost every position has just about been enough to brute-force their way to survival. 

Enjoy the circus Poch. 

From Los Angeles, the green light has arrived for Mauricio Pochettino and in London the official announcement is now expected. In planning for next season, Romelu Lukaku’s position will be one of the first topics of discussion for President Boehly. (GdS)