talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Ok, so if a manager is failing miserably because his players, that hes only just met, just dont suit the new managers system, and therefore are in really poor form..   you think he should just carry on with that one singular philosophy?

Very restricted viewpoint but fair enough. 

How is it a restricted viewpoint? Look at the bigger picture here. 

The manager has every right to stick with what he knows and what’s brought him success. If his philosophy doesn’t match with  the players, then It’s the clubs fault for appointing him and not doing their damn research. They should understand the manager's style, whether or not the club has players tailored to fit that style, and whether they want to back him getting the players he wants.  It’s those reasons why Guardiola rejected us because he practically wanted 10 new players that we weren’t willing to give him. 

Edited by Cicero

It surely depends on the situation the manager is walking into and whether he's going to be given time to build? If the manager is going to be given time then you'd rather him try to implement his philosophy so he can see which players suit or can adapt and which ones can't and will therefore need replacing.

• Upvote 1

Lost our first game 0-1 in our Japan preseason. Heard there were some decent showings but as soon as the gash came on, it turned horrid. 

Issue right now is we have too many players on the book for Lamps to go through. Need to start trimming off the fat and play his preferred XI relatively soon. 

Lost 1-0 to a team named after a motorbike.. 

Lampard Out!!!! 

Didn't get to see the game but sounded like we struggled a bit up front, The team are going to need a period of adjustment while he tinkers about with formations and players and that won't come overnight, not too worried about pre-season friendlies to be honest.. nice if we start clicking early but not a disaster if we don't, at least not at this stage... 

3 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Lost 1-0 to a team named after a motorbike.. 

Lampard Out!!!! 

Didn't get to see the game but sounded like we struggled a bit up front, The team are going to need a period of adjustment while he tinkers about with formations and players and that won't come overnight, not too worried about pre-season friendlies to be honest.. nice if we start clicking early but not a disaster if we don't, at least not at this stage... 

What’s the reasonable expectation for him? I think 8th is realistic you’ve not strengthened and young players will need to find their feet. I think you need to get used to the idea of drawing at home again mid table sides as Hazard dragged you to 4th as United and Arsenal gave up 

We’re going to lose a good 15-20 points for not having anyone prolific up top. A common habit of ours. 

Kante has returned back to Cobham for rehabilitation on his knee. 

Thats Kante, Rudiger, Ruben, CHO, and Janes out. 

On 19/07/2019 at 23:38, Fairy In Boots said:

What’s the reasonable expectation for him? I think 8th is realistic you’ve not strengthened and young players will need to find their feet. I think you need to get used to the idea of drawing at home again mid table sides as Hazard dragged you to 4th as United and Arsenal gave up 

Yea, somewhere between 6th and 9th for me, despite Hazard moving on we still have a lot of potential in the side to be pushing top 6 but I think it would be unrealistic to think an automatic top 4 is a given this season, the difference for me obviously being Hazard who was very much a game changer for us and not having anyone else in the side that can have that same impact currently but that's not to say we won't, but we need to find another way of making that happen or finding someone else who can influence the outcome of games that keep us from getting draws and turning them into wins.. 

As Cicero pointed out we still have players that need to come back into the side yet from injury like Kante, CHO & Reuben Loftus-Cheek who for me can be the driving force for the future but it will all depend how quickly they can be back... It will be a bit of a hit and miss season, some good results and performances and some not so good but I am not really worried about that.. What does worry me is that Lampard like every other manager before him needs time... and like every other manager before him I doubt he will get it.. 

Still looking forward to the season though even if it ends with no silverware... We are some way off City and Pool currently so don't expect us to be closing that gap in the League anytime soon and Lampards inexperience as a manager in Europe might see us making an earlier exit but with a good run in the Cups who knows?? 

Edited by Bluewolf

With key injuries, some players are doing well with their chances. 

Kovacic for Kante

Mount/Barkley for Ruben

Pulisic for CHO

Christensen for Rudiger

All have looked good this preseason. Giving Lampard a good headache on who to choose against United 

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.53ed82d7303cb6394ad7ca6387a50e4a.png

Callum Hudson-Odoi agrees deal to stay at Chelsea

Callum Hudson-Odoi has agreed to a five-year deal worth more than £100,000 a week to stay at Chelsea.

The England winger, 18, handed in a transfer request in January after Chelsea rejected a £35m bid from Bayern Munich.

But he is set to sign a new contract before the start of the season.

The youngster is understood to have been encouraged by positive words from new manager Frank Lampard, who said he wanted Hudson-Odoi to stay.

The teenager, who is recovering from an Achilles injury suffered in April, is on track for a quick return to action, potentially as soon as September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49091233

The Barca game was everything the Kawasaki game wasn't. High pressure very very intensive covering. Pulišić looked very lively, Tammy was a monster with Mount feeding him. I don't count pre season wins but a win against Barcelona is always nice. If we can play like that on a regular basis i would be delighted, Kenedy was also very very promising on the wing. Lampard will have a vast of talent to chose from i don't feel we are under a ban. So many talented players and i am looking forward to the new season. Implement new players a new system and give the man a chance to prove himself.Every single player got minutes, which is very refreshing.

Looking likely this will be the team coming into the season

Giroud/Tammy/Batshuayi

Pulisic/CHO/Willian/Pedro

Kante/Ruben/Barkley/Mount/Jorginho/Drinkwater/Kovacic

Emerson/Alonso/Azpilicueta/James

Luiz/Rudiger/Zouma/Christensen

Kepa/Willy 

Edited by Cicero

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Looking likely this will be the team coming into the season

Giroud/Tammy/Batshuayi

Pulisic/CHO/Willian/Pedro

Kante/Ruben/Barkley/Mount/Jorginho/Drinkwater/Kovacic

Emerson/Alonso/Azpilicueta/James

Luiz/Rudiger/Zouma/Christensen

Kepa/Willy 

I was reading this morning that Drinkdriver & Bakayoko will not be part of Lampard's plans... 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/28/frank-lampard-decides-sell-chelsea-flops-tiemoue-bakayoko-danny-drinkwater-10473564/