talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

League A - Group A2 Fixtures - 5-8th September 2020

football forum

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuffed to bits for Kalvin Phillips. He's come a long way and he deserves his chance. Bielsa has coached him from a steady eddie midfielder to a top defensive midfielder. 

Now he's got his cap, I hope he shows he's comfortable at this level.

Can't be many players that will play for England before they have played a second of Premier League football but he will be one of them, and to do it based on lower level performances shows the faith they have in him.

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Danny said:

3 defensive midfielders in that team, what are we afraid of?

It's as abject as I feared when I saw the line up. No ambition at all with this line up. Grealish should've played.

Why has Southgate picked two central defensive midfielders and yet they are playing out of position? Neither of them are playing as they would for their club.

I've watched Kalvin Phillips for two years in central defensive midfield and he looks lost tonight.

Normally, he'd pick the ball up from the defence and pass to another midfielder ahead of him but guess what, he has no one to pass to. So instead, he's got to play sideways.

Positionally, I can't remember seeing him occupy the left side of the pitch as much as he has tonight also. He plays in the centre. So why not fucking play him there.

This is not his game at all and he isn't able to have an effect on the game like he normally would. No doubt he will get criticised now

And I actually have sympathy for Declan Rice because I can imagine it's exactly the same for him. Really strange from Southgate. Just play the one.

And Trippier on the left doesn't work. There is no balance.

Are you seriously telling me that Saka from Arsenal could not have done any better because I don't believe that. It's not Trippier's fault as he's doing what he's asked to do but it's fruitless in terms of the team.

Disappointed.

• Subscriber

Playing a load of defensive midfielders works against each of those players individually. It totally ruins the balance of the side. It just invites pressure.

Get Grealish on for god sake.

Southgate has gradually outed himself as another bollockless manager.

Not a great watch but that’s what you’ll get when you’re setting up to stifle and nullify your oppositions attack. Think there’s still more than enough in England to get the win. There’s space to be created with these long passes and with the pace of TAA, Sterling and Sancho and ability of Kane, I fancy us to get a goal. 

Take that, even if it feels annoying that we didn’t nick it there at the end through Kane. A disjointed couple of performances but everything has felt disjointed given the Maguire situation, the amount of time the squad has had together, the amount of players injured, Foden and Greenwood being stupid, the games before the league has started and the Walker red card has thrown everything into more chaos than it already was. 

• Subscriber

That game fell short of the already low expectations I had for it. At least go for it against Denmark. Don't you only qualify if you get top spot? We've put pressure on ourselves for the Belgium games.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

That game fell short of the already low expectations I had for it. At least go for it against Denmark. Don't you only qualify if you get top spot? We've put pressure on ourselves for the Belgium games.

Agreed. A lot of coaches are still treating these as friendly by playing only half the players they normally would and achieving mixed results. 
if this is going to continue then this tournaments value will decrease fairly quickly. 
(not sure the tournament has been fully accepted anyways)

they should bring back friendly games if this is the case. 

if teams/managers/players don’t care much to win it, why should the fans?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived