talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020/21 Premier League Sack Race

• Administrator

Who'll be the first to be sacked/leave?

Relegation club candidates usually with the lowest odds. Surprised Bielsa is at 12/1 - thought he'd be higher because of the Leeds love-in and reputation he has. And Rodgers high as 16/1 as well considering we've not signed anyone and could get off to a poor start...

image.png

image.png

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/09/2020 at 04:16, Rick said:

I’d not surprised to see Dean Smith out the door sharpish if they start poorly. 

Yeah, if I remember right our Aston Villa fan on here seemed to really hate him. I don’t know if that’s indicative of the whole fan base or not. But Villa weren’t up to much last season and I don’t think they’ll be much better. A shit first half of the season and I could see him sacked by Christmas

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Scott Parker seems the obvious shout now but I get the feeling it's not really his fault, and as much as anything he's being hamstrung by a clueless owner / board.

I've got a feeling Dyche isn't at Burnley this time next year. I read a stat earlier that they've spent less this summer than they did 20 years ago. I'm always sceptical of teams who piss money away but it's like servicing your car, if you never do anything to maintain it, it's going to end up fucked. Burnley are sleepwalking into a relegation battle. Seen some talk linking him with Palace in the summer - wonder if that'll happen within the next year.

Solskjaer should be first but will have his arse saved I feel and Manchester United are very dysfunctional as a club anyway, so rarely does sensible logic apply there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 01/09/2020 at 12:25, AMG said:

Bielsa will go after Leeds go 0-0-10

Nuno Santo will go after that.

Just going back over some of these predictions. Bielsa's had a really good start so he's definitely safe unless results turn dramatically sour.

On 01/09/2020 at 12:16, Rick said:

I’d not surprised to see Dean Smith out the door sharpish if they start poorly. 

Villa have had a really good start to the season, gaining more points since the start of the season than they did in their last 20 odd games previous. So, again like Bielsa, safe unless results go bad.

At this stage, after only 5/6 games, it's looking like Parker to be the first to go. But also Sheffield United haven't had a great start either so Wilder is at risk although I can't see them parting with him just yet after how well they did last season.

• Subscriber

Parker seems nailed on now. I know you'd never say no to promotion but every now and then you get a team who will probably be set back by it in the long run. Looking at Fulham's squad I don't think last season was a great time for them to get promoted. Another year in the Championship they could have added the finishing touches to a top second division side and then made quality additions to a solid core upon promotion to the top flight.

If Parker does go you'd have to say he's suffered from his own success to an extent.

Parker just doesn’t seem up to it. Seen a few interviews with him and it comes across like he’s really struggling and the job just isn’t for him, it wouldn’t surprise me if he went into coaching rather than going for another manager job in future. 

Bilic won’t be far behind. West Brom are the latest club to go up having played nice football at Championship level, to be totally exposed at a higher level. His relationship with the board seems fractured after the sale of Hegazi, too. 

Lampard is obviously well out of his depth at the level Chelsea see themselves as. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Parker just doesn’t seem up to it. Seen a few interviews with him and it comes across like he’s really struggling and the job just isn’t for him, it wouldn’t surprise me if he went into coaching rather than going for another manager job in future. 

Bilic won’t be far behind. West Brom are the latest club to go up having played nice football at Championship level, to be totally exposed at a higher level. His relationship with the board seems fractured after the sale of Hegazi, too. 

Lampard is obviously well out of his depth at the level Chelsea see themselves as. 

Every interview I've seen makes him sound like a fan down the pub as opposed to an actual manager of a football club in the PL. 

On 02/11/2020 at 15:54, Dr. Gonzo said:

I wonder how much pressure Chris Wilder is under

This will be the first time since he's been in charge of them that he will have faced that kind of pressure but to be perfectly honest, I think being 'one of them' and what he has already done for the club in taking them this far will buy him the season anyway.

Sheffield United are a pretty sensible club in the main. I'd like to think they will stick with him all the way regardless of the threat of relegation.

Realistically, I'm not sure I could quite see someone else coming in and getting those players to respond any better than Wilder could anyway. 

On 02/11/2020 at 10:54, Dr. Gonzo said:

I wonder how much pressure Chris Wilder is under

I don't see Sheffield United firing Wilder even if they are relegated .  Sheffield lad United through and through and combined with what he has accomplished with the club, with little financial backing,  he's safe for awhile.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived