talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020/21 Seasons GOATS, Jokes & Unexpected Greatness

• Administrator

Here we go again. Last season I picked out Richarlison as my hot pick and he was hot like a curry ... which went cold and frequently needed re-heating. To be fair, he improved under Ancelotti and formed a robust and pretty sturdy attacking duo with Calvert-Lewin. David Luiz was top of the shats and of course he didn't disappoint, he was an easy choice though and he went on to be decidedly good one moment and pathetic the next at Arsenal. My surprise pick was Mason Mount, again, perhaps an easy choice, he'd been great in the Championship under Lampard at Derby. He was fairly consistent across the season too given his age and lack of experience. 

To this season ...

GOAT! Who's going to rip it up, who's going to make a name for themselves this season by being consistently great?

image.png

Phil Foden. The lad is class and with Silva, David of the canaries departed for Basque country a place in the side seems consistently is surely on the cards. Guardiola has shielded him for a while now, but if he's not playing regularly for City and England, something has gone awry. Last season he turned in 888 minutes played, banging in 5 goals and 2 assists. His end of season form was simply stellar.

Joke! Jog on mate, you're fooling no-one. 

image.png

Mario Lemina. Aaaaaaaaa Mario! You plank! Lemina was considered a real find at Marseille, a player who could just be awesome and so much so, Juventus came in for him. Physically strong, good on the ball with a bit of bite, he could have been epic. Instead, he flattered to deceive, turned in mostly average performances and believed himself to be better than he was. In short, he didn't put the effort in needed to be great. An interesting signing for Fulham granted, but when the going get tough, Mario won't be making a difference. I expect he'll be gone by January. 

Unexpected Greatness mother fucker! You didn't see me pulling in a season of awesomeness. But I did anyway.

image.png

Alex McCarthy. For once I'm picking a goalkeeper. And I'm picking McCarthy because he came through something of a turbulent couple of seasons but once re-established in the team, he was quietly very effective and dipped under the radar. I'm primarily picking him because I believe he's a potential England goalkeeper to oust Pickford who's woefully out of form and becoming quite ineffectual for a keeper who promised so much. 

• This topic was featured and pinned
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex McCarthy is a bold call and one I really don't just agree with because he's always been such an inconsistent keeper. I do think Pickford's place in the England side might be up for grabs (and if he doesn't improve... maybe even his position with Everton, I'm not sure Carlo Ancelotti's a big fan) - but I think there are probably other contenders I'd have ahead of McCarthy.

I don't want to say GOAT here... so I'll say "a good season" (because I'm not going to call a United player a GOAT)... but I think Marcus Rashford is primed for the best season of his career. After spending so much of last season carrying Manchester United prior to the restart, I think the recent additions of Bruno (who's already made a huge impact) and Van Der Beek, who I think will be a good addition to their midfield, I think he'll be the prime beneficiary of United spending big to reinvent their midfield. I think he's been the most promising player at United for a number of years now and he's already shown he's very good, I think he's about to have a massive season though.

For the flop... I'll copy you and go with Lemina at Fulham again. I think there's a good player somewhere inside him, but I think he's a player that's difficult to keep motivated and if he's not giving a shit he's an awful player. That's not the sort of player that does well in a relegation scrap, imo. You need someone who'll run through walls when times are tough... and with a relegation battle likely on the cards for them - times will be tough pretty frequently. Lemina's not going to run through walls if he's not motivated, he'll let his head drop and fail to impress.

Unexpected greatness... I'll go with Hojbjerg (spelling?) at Spurs now. I just think he's the type of midfielder that Mourinho will love and as a result will help Spurs get better results as I suspect he'll try to have Spurs tightened up at the back and have more organisation all over the pitch but especially in the midfield. Him or Willian will be highly effective at Arsenal exceeding all expectations.

Goat. Expecting big things from Bruno Fernandez and Donny Van De Beek at United next season. They might even save Oles job for another 6 months. 

Joke. Expect little from Timo Werner and you won't be disappointed. I also expect a far regressed season from Salah. The greedy little prick he is. 

Unexpected greatness. Manchester United to make top 4 again. 

23 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Goat. Expecting big things from Bruno Fernandez and Donny Van De Beek at United next season. They might even save Oles job for another 6 months. 

Joke. Expect little from Timo Werner and you won't be disappointed. I also expect a far regressed season from Salah. The greedy little prick he is. 

He runs fast and a lot, literally built for the English game. It made many Poms multi-millionaires.

• Subscriber

Manchester United making the top 4 can't be that unexpected surely. I do think they won't but I'm calling that a slightly left field shout. Bookies have them top 4.

47 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

xD

2 hours ago, Spike said:

He runs fast and a lot, literally built for the English game. It made many Poms multi-millionaires.

I watched him week in week out mate. He's that guy who looks a god against Union Berlin but shrinks like a queer mans cock at a fishmarket against anyone decent. I'm not just talking about off the ball performance and threat level either, he misses sitters based on where a team sits on the ladder. Just wait and see mate. 

12 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I watched him week in week out mate. He's that guy who looks a god against Union Berlin but shrinks like a queer mans cock at a fishmarket against anyone decent. I'm not just talking about off the ball performance and threat level either, he misses sitters based on where a team sits on the ladder. Just wait and see mate. 

You watched every RBL game?

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

You watched every RBL game?

Fuck me this must be how @Mpache feels when we rip on him for having an unpopular opinion about something only he watches. xD

My shout is that Werner won't meet your expectations, or the price tag he had. I have based this off dozens of games I've watched over the last 4 years. I was confident enough in this opinion to put it out there in front of you assholes. If at seasons end you're happy that he was a fifty million pound player and he met expectations, great. If not you can blow me. 

20 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Fuck me this must be how @Mpache feels when we rip on him for having an unpopular opinion about something only he watches. xD

My shout is that Werner won't meet your expectations, or the price tag he had. I have based this off dozens of games I've watched over the last 4 years. I was confident enough in this opinion to put it out there in front of you assholes. If at seasons end you're happy that he was a fifty million pound player and he met expectations, great. If not you can blow me. 

xD

I'm sure he'll be fine, England is a pacey idiot's paradise.

• 8 months later...
On 01/09/2020 at 11:26, Devil-Dick Willie said:

It's looking like your blowing me @Spike @Cicero

• Administrator
On 31/08/2020 at 21:11, Batard said:

Here we go again. Last season I picked out Richarlison as my hot pick and he was hot like a curry ... which went cold and frequently needed re-heating. To be fair, he improved under Ancelotti and formed a robust and pretty sturdy attacking duo with Calvert-Lewin. David Luiz was top of the shats and of course he didn't disappoint, he was an easy choice though and he went on to be decidedly good one moment and pathetic the next at Arsenal. My surprise pick was Mason Mount, again, perhaps an easy choice, he'd been great in the Championship under Lampard at Derby. He was fairly consistent across the season too given his age and lack of experience. 

To this season ...

GOAT! Who's going to rip it up, who's going to make a name for themselves this season by being consistently great?

image.png

Phil Foden. The lad is class and with Silva, David of the canaries departed for Basque country a place in the side seems consistently is surely on the cards. Guardiola has shielded him for a while now, but if he's not playing regularly for City and England, something has gone awry. Last season he turned in 888 minutes played, banging in 5 goals and 2 assists. His end of season form was simply stellar.

Joke! Jog on mate, you're fooling no-one. 

image.png

Mario Lemina. Aaaaaaaaa Mario! You plank! Lemina was considered a real find at Marseille, a player who could just be awesome and so much so, Juventus came in for him. Physically strong, good on the ball with a bit of bite, he could have been epic. Instead, he flattered to deceive, turned in mostly average performances and believed himself to be better than he was. In short, he didn't put the effort in needed to be great. An interesting signing for Fulham granted, but when the going get tough, Mario won't be making a difference. I expect he'll be gone by January. 

Unexpected Greatness mother fucker! You didn't see me pulling in a season of awesomeness. But I did anyway.

image.png

Alex McCarthy. For once I'm picking a goalkeeper. And I'm picking McCarthy because he came through something of a turbulent couple of seasons but once re-established in the team, he was quietly very effective and dipped under the radar. I'm primarily picking him because I believe he's a potential England goalkeeper to oust Pickford who's woefully out of form and becoming quite ineffectual for a keeper who promised so much. 

The bit on Alex McCarthy aged well. 

• Administrator

Looking at this season, Werner doesn't actually look like a forward at all, certainly more a creative wideman. He reminds of an English winger  from back in the day, Tony Daley. He had pace to burn but almost no goals in him!

10 hours ago, Batard said:

Looking at this season, Werner doesn't actually look like a forward at all, certainly more a creative wideman. He reminds of an English winger  from back in the day, Tony Daley. He had pace to burn but almost no goals in him!

Bit like Pedro. 

11 goals and 13 assists isn't a terrible first season. 

14 hours ago, Cicero said:

Bit like Pedro. 

11 goals and 13 assists isn't a terrible first season. 

6 in 32 premier league games. You're blowing my cock like it's a hot slice of pizza, and you're a hungry Italian, and that's all there is to it. 

12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

6 in 32 premier league games. You're blowing my cock like it's a hot slice of pizza, and you're a hungry Italian, and that's all there is to it. 

Whilst he has been an absolute bottler in front of net, he's directly contributed to the team in being in both the Champions League and FA Cup final. His presence in attack when we are setting up to counter has gotten the best out of Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, and now Real Madrid. His pace provides a terrific outlet against high lines. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Whilst he has been an absolute bottler in front of net, he's directly contributed to the team in being in both the Champions League and FA Cup final. His presence in attack when we are setting up to counter has gotten the best out of Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, and now Real Madrid. His pace provides a terrific outlet against high lines. 

Yeah, which are everywhere in the bundesliga and rare in the Prem

His performance against Real is more indicative of what he was like at RB. He will still be very inconsistent in front of goal, but that's closer to the player I expected than the complete humiliation of the early/mid season. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived