talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Footballs Greatest Scraps

football forum

• Administrator

I'm not advocating violence on the football pitch to begin with, merely reflecting on that there have been some truly epic and bizarre dust off's followed by even more epic and bizarres tales from the subsequent fallout. 

My offering is from 15 years ago. Dyer vs Bowyer followed by Souness' reaction.

“We were losing three-nil at the time. We’d already had a man sent off, so everyone’s tempers were a bit frayed. I had the ball and he came short to show for it and I didn’t pass him the ball, but I didn’t give the ball away. I think I passed it to (Alan) Shearer’s feet or something. So I kept the ball and he’s shouting, ‘Why haven’t you passed me the ball?’ I said, ‘I ain’t giving the ball away.’

“Five minutes later, the exact same thing happens. I got the ball on the right wing, he showed for it. Again I’ve — not intentionally — just passed it to someone else. And he’s giving it, ‘You never pass me the ball’ and by this time I lost it and just said, ‘The reason I don’t pass you the ball is ‘cause you’re fucking shit.’“

And then everyone knows about Bow. That was it. The red mist came.

Obviously I was thinking I’m a bit hard because I was thinking he can’t attack me on the pitch, but boy did I get that wrong. So I grabbed him by the neck and then all of a sudden there’s haymaker after haymaker.“I know it only happened in about five seconds but it seemed to last a lifetime, because I can remember clearly as the punches come in that I cannot believe he is throwing punches in my face.

I think Gareth Barry dragged him away and Alan came and dragged me away.“

I didn’t know at the time you could get sent off for fighting your own teammate, so I was a bit shocked when the ref gave me a red card.” - Kieran Dyer

After, Souness told the pair that he was going to go and watch the video, and that if he didn’t like what he’d seen, he was going to "kick the shit out of both of them".

Shearer called them “selfish fucking pricks” for jeopardising their games against Sporting in the UEFA Cup and Manchester United in the FA Cup.

Dyer was given a three-match ban and Bowyer was suspended for seven games.

It's not known how much shit Souness did or did not kick out of them. 

• The title was changed to Footballs Greatest Scraps
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Dyer/Bowyer is definitely the first one that came to mind for me, too. 

Only realised at some point during lockdown it was also the same game which gave us the infamous Taylor 'I was shot' handball off the line moment xD

The other one that comes to mind is Barton and Ousmane Dabo. Quite an altercation while Barton was still being punished for something else. Absolute prick in that sense. Cigarette in the eye after battering Dabo if I remember correctly?

And another I don't think many people will remember (maybe @Bluebird Hewitt / @Lucas / @Pyfish as EFL aficionados of recent years...) is Jermaine Beckford and Eoin Doyle. It didn't quite flare up like Bowyer/Dyer did but all because Doyle didn't pass to Beckford, they started having a go at each other and were swiftly sent off xD 

Bit before my time and a few of us (bar @Bluewolf and @CaaC (John) :ph34r:) this is surely up there. 

Franny Lee of Derby and Norman Hunter for us, going blow for blow, not once, but twice.

And it's incredibly funny to see little Franny Lee throwing windmills and missing by a country mile as they walked off the pitch xD

But this is synonymous to how Football used to be back then when it really was brutal to play.

• Administrator

Another one that may be long forgotten or not even known because only us oldies will recall it was Berkovic vs Hartson. This happened at a training match. It's on YouTube but the video quality is awful. Basically Hartson tries to pick up Eyal Berkovic after he's been planted on the floor, Berkovic lands one in Hartsons gut. In retaliation Hartson drop kicks his head for 3 points.

image.png

• Subscriber

We had a ridiculous one against Man City in 2003/04 the season we went down, when they were also pretty shit, it went on a good 5 minutes after we'd been given a penalty. Of course we missed.

• Subscriber

The Joey Barton one against City when he was with QPR is definitely the one that sticks to mind. 

Justin Whittle elbowing Alan Shearer in the face in a Grimsby v Newcastle match is a highlight too 

• Subscriber

One that comes to mind and a bizarre one at that was when Ribbery apparently punched Robben. I can't remember the year but I do remember who they were playing and it was Real Madrid. Its bizarre because Bayern won that game and it still happened.

• Subscriber

Roy Keane punching Alan Shearer springs to mind, mind you later on Shearer admitted he riled Keane up on purpose to get him sent off

Shearer and Keane came to blows plenty of times but one particular altercation between the pair saw the latter receive his marching orders when the Red Devils took on the Magpies in September 2001.

Newcastle was winning 4-3 and with time running out, Shearer purposely teased Keane by preventing him from taking a quick throw-in.

The Irishman threw the ball at Shearer’s head after being slightly pushed but Keane would lose it shortly after and was dismissed for throwing a punch at the former striker.

Shearer told the Match of the Day podcast: “Yeah, I didn’t like him.

NINTCHDBPICT000002529864-e1584977577721.

NINTCHDBPICT000002005495-e1584977537987.

https://talksport.com/football/685931/alan-shearer-roy-keane-manchester-united-sent-off-clash/

Archived