talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Grady Diangana Moves to West Brom from West Ham

• Administrator

Thought he was highly-rated by the Hammers?

Surprising West Ham are letting him go but maybe he liked the loan a lot and sees more of a future playing more at West Brom than West Ham

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Grady Diangana Moves to West Brom from West Ham

I’m just shocked they only got £18m for him. He’s young, he’s English, he’s played for the U21’s and he’s just had a very good season in the Championship, culminating in promotion. Given there is clearly a premium around English players, £18m is an absolute bargain. 

If Moyes just doesn’t fancy him, that’s fine. It might not be a decision many agree with but ultimately he’s the manager and it’s up to him. That’s if Moyes is having final say over transfers anyway. 

The players speaking out though is surprising. Jack Wilshere the latest to join in. It puts more pressure on the board, which is good for the fans. The anger over Diangana being sold is just a small piece of a bigger picture at West Ham and the real anger is aimed at Gold, Sullivan and Brady. 

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m just shocked they only got £18m for him. He’s young, he’s English, he’s played for the U21’s and he’s just had a very good season in the Championship, culminating in promotion. Given there is clearly a premium around English players, £18m is an absolute bargain. 

If Moyes just doesn’t fancy him, that’s fine. It might not be a decision many agree with but ultimately he’s the manager and it’s up to him. That’s if Moyes is having final say over transfers anyway. 

The players speaking out though is surprising. Jack Wilshere the latest to join in. It puts more pressure on the board, which is good for the fans. The anger over Diangana being sold is just a small piece of a bigger picture at West Ham and the real anger is aimed at Gold, Sullivan and Brady. 

He’s 22 and scored 8 goals in the Championship last season, fee is pretty good considering we may sell Benrahma for £5m-£7m more and he hit 17, not taken his assists into account yet

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

He’s 22 and scored 8 goals in the Championship last season, fee is pretty good considering we may sell Benrahma for £5m-£7m more and he hit 17, not taken his assists into account yet

And seven assists, so involved in a goal every other game. Given his age and nationality, they’ve got to be looking at similar to what they paid for Bowen (18 rising to 25) for me. 

14 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

And seven assists, so involved in a goal every other game. Given his age and nationality, they’ve got to be looking at similar to what they paid for Bowen (18 rising to 25) for me. 

Bowen scores 17 goals by January, Said has 8 assists on top of his goal count...just not the same

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Bowen scores 17 goals by January, Said has 8 assists on top of his goal count...just not the same

Right. That’s great. But there’s a premium on English players and West Ham have undersold him. It’s one of the many aspects of this sale that West Ham fans have become disgruntled about and I agree. 

29 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Right. That’s great. But there’s a premium on English players and West Ham have undersold him. It’s one of the many aspects of this sale that West Ham fans have become disgruntled about and I agree. 

There’s a premium on English players that have done well in the Premier League yeah, but there is no precedent for a player of Grady’s goal tally being sold for more than what he went for.

Eze just left for £17m and he’s scored 14 goals...Bowen when for £17ish and he scored nearly double the amount Grady had by Jan...Bowen should have gone for £20m-£25m if not for being out of contract the following Summer. Grady Diangana isn’t worth more than what has been paid, it’s a fair price.

32 minutes ago, Danny said:

There’s a premium on English players that have done well in the Premier League yeah, but there is no precedent for a player of Grady’s goal tally being sold for more than what he went for.

Eze just left for £17m and he’s scored 14 goals...Bowen when for £17ish and he scored nearly double the amount Grady had by Jan...Bowen should have gone for £20m-£25m if not for being out of contract the following Summer. Grady Diangana isn’t worth more than what has been paid, it’s a fair price.

It would seem you’re in the minority. West Ham fans think otherwise, which, in fairness, I have to agree with. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

It would seem you’re in the minority. West Ham fans think otherwise, which, in fairness, I have to agree with. 

Minority of what? What player with his stats is going for more than £18m?

I get that they’re pissed about losing an academy player but the price is consistent with other moves at his level

13 minutes ago, Danny said:

Minority of what? What player with his stats is going for more than £18m?

I get that they’re pissed about losing an academy player but the price is consistent with other moves at his level

But it’s not. He’s played Premier League football, he’s played for the 21’s, he’s played thirty games in the Championship, contributing to a goal every other game and won promotion from that level and you’re comparing him to two blokes who haven’t played at all in the Premier League, one of which who isn’t English. It’s not like for like at all and West Ham fans will, rightly, feel that they’ve been robbed by West Brom given the fee they’ll receive. 

44 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

But it’s not. He’s played Premier League football, he’s played for the 21’s, he’s played thirty games in the Championship, contributing to a goal every other game and won promotion from that level and you’re comparing him to two blokes who haven’t played at all in the Premier League, one of which who isn’t English. It’s not like for like at all and West Ham fans will, rightly, feel that they’ve been robbed by West Brom given the fee they’ll receive. 

He was a fringe player for one season, scored two goals and they sent him on loan the season after cos he wasn’t good enough. How does that constitute more money being paid? How is that anyway being proven at Prem level?

Bowen, Benrahma and Eze have all scored more than he has and knotched more assists, Eze has been capped at u21 level, Benrahma is an Algerian international...Benrahma will go for £20m+ add ons, Eze went for £17m, Bowen the same but would have gone for more if he had a bigger contract.

I don’t know what more to say, Diangana isn’t proven in the Prem, only in the Championship. There is no precedent for a player with his goals and assists tally to go for more than what he has and tbh, you could say that English player premium has already kicked in as not many widemen in the Championship with 8 goals to their name in a season will go for close to £20m.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

17 appearances, 603 minutes of Premier League football. Hardly proven at this level hence why he was originally loaned out to the Championship.

Also, he has one cap for the U21's. One cap. And he is 22. He's not really a name on the lips of many currently.

In addition, he's been sold to a newly promoted club. Not anyone you'd say ability wise were higher than West Ham, but West Brom.

@Danny is right. If it's an £18m fee (I don't know, just going from what I read here) then that is more than sensible enough for a player off the back of one season. Others have commanded in and over that fee who have statistically been better so to suggest he's gone well short is daft.

Archived