talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Pessimistic Are You About This Season?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Depends on how many more signings we make. 

If it only remains 1 (Castagne), then quite. Depending on where the other signings are made for, then hard to tell. If we sign players we don't need, think we might be in for another inconsistent season and struggles along the way. We have the potential to be really good, in all competitions, but feel like we need good depth to the squad, which we currently don't have. After our starting XI, it's mediocre at best. And it showed when key players were out last season. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Case in point xD

What are you on about? There's hundreds of threads on here updated every day and the last month or so I've barely posted in any of them except a smattering of Everton stuff so if you really really don't like reading what it's like to be an Everton fan for some reason then staying away from those threads is probably your best bet like.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

What are you on about? There's hundreds of threads on here updated every day and the last month or so I've barely posted in any of them except a smattering of Everton stuff so if you really really don't like reading what it's like to be an Everton fan for some reason then staying away from those threads is probably your best bet like.

:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake: Chrissake man

Think people are getting their knickers in a twist tbh. Might be because I don’t really care for any side and I don’t have to go through inane crap like transfer windows, crappy transfer rumours from faceless teenage virgins on Twitter or Jim White, his stupid yellow tie and him trying to make Deadline Day something interesting but it’s far too early for pessimism. The window doesn’t close for another five weeks, there’s loads of time for teams to sign players and like normal, you’ll get teams waiting to the final week(s) to make signings. Unless you’re Newcastle. Then you’re fucked. 

Not pessimistic as such in a footballing sense, as I'm sure on the pitch everything will go just fine for us, but more concerned and uninspired by the way it's all being carried out. The behind closed door stuff, all the protocol required for games to be taking place, the risk of any one player picking up the virus. I know it's all needed in order for the games to go on, and I understand that for many it's a sacrifice worth making in order to have football back regularly, but it does make it a lot more difficult to become invested in, personally. Last season I wasn't as concerned, because we had the league wrapped up, but something just feels a bit off about the beginning of this one.

I’m not pessimistic in the sense that I think we’ll be shit. I’m just pessimistic that we don’t seem to be able to spend as freely despite having the chance to have a few years to lock down a spot in the top 2.

Seems like most of our competitors are making big signings to bridge the gap that separates city and us.

Having said that, we make a few signings... and I’ll have a totally different mood about the next season. We don’t need much, we just need a bit of depth at CB & (definitely) in attack and maybe a more natural playmaker in the midfield.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m not pessimistic in the sense that I think we’ll be shit. I’m just pessimistic that we don’t seem to be able to spend as freely despite having the chance to have a few years to lock down a spot in the top 2.

Seems like most of our competitors are making big signings to bridge the gap that separates city and us.

Having said that, we make a few signings... and I’ll have a totally different mood about the next season. We don’t need much, we just need a bit of depth at CB & (definitely) in attack and maybe a more natural playmaker in the midfield.

Do you feel Man Utd and Chelsea could get to 80-85 points with what they've got?

Genuine question. Can't word it without it sounding crap sorry :D

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Do you feel Man Utd and Chelsea could get to 80-85 points with what they've got?

Genuine question. Can't word it without it sounding crap sorry :D

I have no idea tbh. I think on paper, maybe. They might not have the same quality as their strongest XIs as us or City... but to win a league title you don’t necessarily have to just be stronger than your title rivals (or even be stronger sides than them).

I think on paper, Chelsea are making the biggest leap forward. I think the one thing that might hold them back is needing a shitload of new players to gel... but they’ve got the squad depth to allow players to slowly grow into their new club with appearances from the bench.

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Spike said:

'I love me banter but that's bang out of order'

Maybe it's my fault for being inactive but genuinely half of my notifications over the past week and half of the times I've dipped back into threads that I've commented on, it's you having digs about Everton and then calling it trolling/fishing when I respond. You got me good in the Koeman thread (sort of), full respect for that, but from my side it's hard to tell that you're on the wind up because I find it more likely that you're being partially serious than that you're spending so many posts trying to wind up one person who's currently online for about 10 minutes a day xD.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Maybe it's my fault for being inactive but genuinely half of my notifications over the past week and half of the times I've dipped back into threads that I've commented on, it's you having digs about Everton and then calling it trolling/fishing when I respond. You got me good in the Koeman thread (sort of), full respect for that, but from my side it's hard to tell that you're on the wind up because I find it more likely that you're being partially serious than that you're spending so many posts trying to wind up one person who's currently online for about 10 minutes a day xD.

You gotta know this about me, there is no reason for me to dislike or even care about Everton or any other team in England and I'm sick so I'm just sitting at home coughing my lungs up with a browser opened on my computer.

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I have no idea tbh. I think on paper, maybe. They might not have the same quality as their strongest XIs as us or City... but to win a league title you don’t necessarily have to just be stronger than your title rivals (or even be stronger sides than them).

I think on paper, Chelsea are making the biggest leap forward. I think the one thing that might hold them back is needing a shitload of new players to gel... but they’ve got the squad depth to allow players to slowly grow into their new club with appearances from the bench.

I think thats only the start of issues for them really. Putting aside playing time and gelling they've all got to stay fit through the season as well and I am not just talking injuries as we live in a world where COVID is still around so players could be out of games for that reason as well. This isn't just true for Chelsea but also true for any team anywhere and that is where the real X factor is in the new season. You don't know if you're high flying one week and all of a sudden someone crucial to your team is tested positive and then they are out the next. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Chelsea won't top 4. You heard it here first. 

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Chelsea won't top 4. You heard it here first. 

Who's your top 4?

I think it'll be same as last season, with Arsenal pushing closer for it.

I'm pessimistic of two things.

1. I think Liverpool will not run close in the league this year. We'll still be a very good side but I'm expecting a post title hangover.

2. I think Covid will be the MVP in this season as it was for the last. Beware the winter resurgence.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Harry said:

1. I think Liverpool will not run close in the league this year. We'll still be a very good side but I'm expecting a post title hangover.

Wow, that's quite pessimistic...!

Archived