talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Pessimistic Are You About This Season?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

You seem shockedxD

A tad!

Okay you might not win the league by the distance you did last season, but still think it'll be yourselves and Man City clear as top 2. Chelsea with their ridiculous attack now getting games done and finishing 3rd in a race with Man Utd.

Don't think Klopp's the kind of manager to allow a post-title hangover. If anything, it'll be the congested schedule that does most teams in. But those with bigger squads obviously able to handle this better. Liverpool being one of them. After the ease at which you won last season, just find it odd that any Liverpool fan can be as pessimistic as @Harry!

32 minutes ago, Stan said:

Wow, that's quite pessimistic...!

Pessimism is relative mate.

The point is we'll be made to be favorites this year, and in my view we'll be out of serious discussion of the title by Christmas (maybe still in second but a long way off the pace). For the defending champions that's a disappointing year.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Pessimism is relative mate.

The point is we'll be made to be favorites this year, and in my view we'll be out of serious discussion of the title by Christmas. For the defending champions that's a disappointing year.

Based on what?

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

A tad!

Okay you might not win the league by the distance you did last season, but still think it'll be yourselves and Man City clear as top 2. Chelsea with their ridiculous attack now getting games done and finishing 3rd in a race with Man Utd.

Don't think Klopp's the kind of manager to allow a post-title hangover. If anything, it'll be the congested schedule that does most teams in. But those with bigger squads obviously able to handle this better. Liverpool being one of them. After the ease at which you won last season, just find it odd that any Liverpool fan can be as pessimistic as @Harry!

He was pessimistic when we were 25 points clear last season!

I'm pretty pessimistic, as I worry that we will go a whole year without their being a close race for the championship. I'm not optimistic that Dormutnd will be able to push Bayern long enough to make it a race.

I have been pessimistic with Leeds for years including last season as I didn't ever believe we'd finally get over the line

However, this is the first season since Premier League days I've not felt pessimistic.

How can I be? There is not as high an expectancy on us this season, we just need to stay up and build from there and I'm quietly confident we can do that. 

Such a feel good factor around Leeds right now that there really is no cause for complaint.

We have a great coach, a decent team that plays good football and we're making some interesting signings.

That could all change when we have played 4, lost 4, mind.

• Subscriber

Fairly but I become a bit more optimistic when I see plenty of similar complaints from other clubs.

I'm not optimistic about us though. Happy enough with the Castagne buy and Chilwell sale (though I do think there's a bit of an argument about the actual position he'll be used in) but there are plenty of gaps in our side, we haven't strengthened much, if at all. We're also in abysmal form, don't get too good a vibe about us after we've gone and sacked our physio of 20 years in what from the outside looks like a bit of Rodgers shifting the blame to me. That's the kind of move that I think could come and bite you one day. Add in we're in the Europa League so have a very tricky schedule.

I think if we don't start well this season Rodgers won't make Christmas because the first 5 games presents a very good chance to get ourselves towards the top of the league - if we don't take it we're going to piss around in the bottom half and I don't think the owner will tolerate it, he's got higher ambitions than that.

Really do think it's crucial we start well.

Not pessimistic, just not half as bothered about football in general as I used to be. I mean, look at the state of the game, and the advantages that certian clubs are allowed to get away with. 

It would be nice if we could retain the league dont get me wrong, but I wouldn't be that arsed if we finished 10th to be honest. 

10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Not pessimistic, just not half as bothered about football in general as I used to be.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, tbh. Some people use football as their only outlet from the real world, and I think they develop an unhealthy connection with how their side is doing and how their mental state is.

41 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's not necessarily a bad thing, tbh. Some people use football as their only outlet from the real world, and I think they develop an unhealthy connection with how their side is doing and how their mental state is.

I wouldn't personally look into it that deeply. I'm just basically falling out of love with the game tbh. All the fun and passion is being sucked out of football with modern technology etc. Then you have corrupt clubs just throwing insane amounts of money around whilst most other clubs have to work hard to get to where they are. 

I'm from Liverpool, I was born into that club, so I will always love it dearly. Its the rest of everything football related that I cant stand anymore. But, this is what people wanted, that is what they are being given. 

10 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I wouldn't personally look into it that deeply. I'm just basically falling out of love with the game tbh. All the fun and passion is being sucked out of football with modern technology etc. Then you have corrupt clubs just throwing insane amounts of money around whilst most other clubs have to work hard to get to where they are. 

I'm from Liverpool, I was born into that club, so I will always love it dearly. Its the rest of everything football related that I cant stand anymore. But, this is what people wanted, that is what they are being given. 

The Premier League literally began with Blackburn laying the blueprint for Chelsea and Citeh though. TV broadcasters are mostly to blame for the fun and passion being sucked out of football, imo - but I don't really think that's anything new, tbh. I think football's always had a fair bit of excessive money being thrown around - even when there was far less money in football... each year the British record transfer kept going up despite the really rough times of the 60s, 70s, and 80s (granted, by the 80s, the super wealthy who owned football clubs started seeing themselves richer than ever).

The gratuitous excess now I think is just more evident that there's far more wealth inequality all over the world.

But VAR sucking the passion and fun out of football... I think that's more down to our referees being idiots and the way it was implemented being dogshite. I think VAR is far from perfect, but it's not that long ago we would have won a title if not for a very obviously not-offisde goal being flagged for offside. So imo, referees being either incompetent or corrupt would still be a problem regardless. It's just a different shade of the same colour.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Premier League literally began with Blackburn laying the blueprint for Chelsea and Citeh though. TV broadcasters are mostly to blame for the fun and passion being sucked out of football, imo - but I don't really think that's anything new, tbh. I think football's always had a fair bit of excessive money being thrown around - even when there was far less money in football... each year the British record transfer kept going up despite the really rough times of the 60s, 70s, and 80s (granted, by the 80s, the super wealthy who owned football clubs started seeing themselves richer than ever).

The gratuitous excess now I think is just more evident that there's far more wealth inequality all over the world.

But VAR sucking the passion and fun out of football... I think that's more down to our referees being idiots and the way it was implemented being dogshite. I think VAR is far from perfect, but it's not that long ago we would have won a title if not for a very obviously not-offisde goal being flagged for offside. So imo, referees being either incompetent or corrupt would still be a problem regardless. It's just a different shade of the same colour.

Every goal that is scored being totally assessed is shit though. Its like "wait 2 minutes and then you can celebrate". 

Its wank. 

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Who's your top 4?

I think it'll be same as last season, with Arsenal pushing closer for it.

Liverpool citeh, man u, and not Chelsea. 

Disclaimer, if they sack their manager, sell some angry players midseason, they may finish 4th over an uninspiring arsenal and spurs

• Subscriber
On 02/09/2020 at 22:01, Harvsky said:

Here are full rankings. Interesting Wolves not phased much by losing Doherty.

Us and Wolves xD I've read mainly moaning from both of us two. Christ how bad are the others?!

• Subscriber

VAR is just another thing that sanitises the experience, probably the most drastic in years hence the reaction its had. I do think even if pulled off properly (which it categorically hasn't been) that will still be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dan said:

20200912_124357.jpg

Not surprised ours is low. We've had a woeful 2020.

West Ham's is hilarious. West Brom's is interesting ahead of tomorrow.

Those new signings of ours lifting it. Even if they were bought because Ashley was told the takeover would go through on Tuesday and Staveley wanted these signings :4_joy:

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Everton subscribers to The Atlantic are more optimistic than the blues I know xD

I'm amazed by the general level of optimism on that in general. Maybe I truly am a mardy arse xD

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Their optimism definitely increased a lot after the three signings. The Merseyside power shift is almost back on:ph34r:

I think Everton twitter might be trying to change that... but I don’t know any of them that actually think that tbh xD

I know they’re optimistic signing a midfield will make them less shite, and that’s fair enough their midfield was totally shite and they’ve made good signings on paper.

Honestly almost all the Evertonians I know don’t rate James at all though and think he’s just living off that World Cup, so plenty of pessimism has stayed with them.

Archived