talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

SC Freiburg Thread

football forum

60.png?lm=1517249279

Certainly one of the most picture-esque cities in Germany, if not all of Europe. 

badenova_stadion1.jpg

Also, appears to be one of the most likeable teams in Germany. Do well despite a smaller wage bill, and plays decent football. And while this may not create any earthquakes, I did hear that they have gotten Guus Til on loan from Spartak Moscow!

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Still injured, so will unfortunately miss the pre-season completely. 

Yes - but he'll catch up I believe. While he didn't 'wow' at Spartak, he did show glimpses of being pretty creative. 

Would love for Freiburg to get Larsson from Spartak, as Tedesco doesn't seem to care much to play the younger talent. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yourself :) 

Well, ESPN bought the rights to show all of the Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga here in the States, so now I can watch every game, every week, and all the replays for a whopping $10/mo. (I already have this as they also have all the MLS games and Serie A). 

So, over the past couple of weeks I have been reading the wikipedia pages and other information on each of the teams except for a select few, and just learning about them. Also, since I did have an Aunt stationed in Kaiserslautern for 12 years, my father and I would also take summer vacations to see her, and travel throughout Germany, so I have been to many of the cities which are represented here. Add to that, my Wife lived in Essen, Germany, for a year after high school and speaks some German, so I can finally get her excited about football on the TV now that the Bundesliga is much more accessible. Lastly, we have discussed moving to Germany in a year or two and raising our daughter there for a few years and let her gain the experience of another culture and language. 

As for Freiburg...it's one of the cities I have never been to, but the pictures are absolutely stunning. As someone who runs through the woods, and hikes/camps, the idea of a city lying in the Black Forest is just picturesque to me. Wife and I were looking at photos of the town and region and have put it on our bucket list for places to visit. I mean look at this...

p08jhh0x.jpg

5262554653_64a1d841cb_o.jpg

Freiburg_017.650.n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

A great signing for them? 

I know nothing about Freiburg, but he's a very good player. He could've gone to one of the top clubs in France, he was linked to Napoli and Villarreal before, I think he'll be a big success in Germany.

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

I see they were only a point off a Europa League spot last season, are they expected to challenge for a top 7 place again this season?

I'd say an European spot would generally be seen as an overachievement for Freiburg, although at the same time nobody would be surprised if they do either. That probably didn't make any sense 😂 

15 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

I see they were only a point off a Europa League spot last season, are they expected to challenge for a top 7 place again this season?

I think they will certainly struggle this year, they lost a lot of talent, and now their GK is suffering from a long term injury. 

They have brought in some talent, but I do worry about cohesion. Finishing in the bottom 5 is where I feel like they will end. 

26 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'd say an European spot would generally be seen as an overachievement for Freiburg, although at the same time nobody would be surprised if they do either. That probably didn't make any sense 😂 

I guess I'll take that in a positive way xD

22 minutes ago, Eco said:

I think they will certainly struggle this year, they lost a lot of talent, and now their GK is suffering from a long term injury. 

They have brought in some talent, but I do worry about cohesion. Finishing in the bottom 5 is where I feel like they will end. 

If he's moved to Germany to play a relegation battle I'm gonna be mad. He deserves so much more than that.

Just now, ...Dan said:

If he's moved to Germany to play a relegation battle I'm gonna be mad. He deserves so much more than that.

Mate, this league is almost impossible to call between 5th and relegation. 

If Freiburg finished in 6th, or 7th, I don't think I'd be surprised much...same as if they were in a relegation battle. 

So who knows if it'll be a fight for Europe, or a fight for relegation...no one really knows at this point. xD

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Eco said:

Disagree, don't see them involved in a relegation fight. I think their squad is good enough for anything from mid-table to European spots. 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Disagree, don't see them involved in a relegation fight. I think their squad is good enough for anything from mid-table to European spots. 

We'll see how these new players fit in. I do hope that they are able to avoid a relegation battle, but if I had to pick 5 teams that will battle it out, I' might have include them. 

• 1 month later...

Two reasons I was attracted to Freiburg... the first was the picturesque city itself.  Spent a lot of time on YouTube watching virtual tours of the town and it's amazing.  The second was the football.  I watched the team play and couldn't believe the style of play for such a small club.  Being a Bielsa convert at Leeds I can appreciate trying to play football the right way.

• 1 month later...