talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

SC Freiburg Thread

football forum

16 hours ago, Coma said:

Back to back solid performances for Freiburg.  Got to hope that Schalke are shell-shocked after the Augsburg match and we can hit them cold.

Schalke seem to be in disarray and in terrible form right now. It would be no surprise if Freiburg win against them, even if  Freiburg are playing away from home. 

Back to your previous comments, Freiburg is indeed a beautiful and picturesque city in Southern Germany. The clubs stadium is situated next to the hills of the Black Forest, so yes, the views are great in the Schwarzwald stadium. Freiburg have traditionally always played the attractive football that they display today. Their quick short passing style and their attractive attacking combination football has always been a theme of their game. You will hardly ever see Freiburg lumping the ball upfield to a tall centre forward, unlike many other clubs at the bottom half of the Bundesliga who attempt to do so.

Freiburg also have one of the smallest budgets in the Bundesliga, which makes it all the more remarkable how they have managed to spend so many years in the Bundesliga, playing in the style that they do.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Their new stadium is quite interesting as well though. Largest solar power system of the world on their roof apparently. Also there's an airfield next to the stadium, that they want to expand in the future. That means away teams could land right next to the stadium. xD

But yea, gonna miss the Dreisamstadion. Iconic. 

• Like 1

From dw.com:

'Farewell and a new start': Freiburg say goodbye to historic Dreisamstadion

After 67 years, Freiburg have bid farewell to their beloved stadium in style. In October, they will move into a new, modern arena, but the memories of one of Germany's most iconic football grounds will remain.

Freiburg coach Christian Streich led the celebrations as Freiburg said farewell to their old stadium

Freiburg 3-0 Augsburg
(Kübler 6', Höler 25', Grifo pen 34')
Dreisamstadion

Nestled in the valley of the Dreisam River just east of Freiburg city center, the Dreisamstadion is many things to many people.

Picturesque with its spectacular location in the Black Forest, old school with its aging terraces and steep stands, freezing cold in winter, beautifully warm in summer, a bogey ground for Bundesliga giants — and commonly considered the "worst away end in Germany" for visiting supporters.

But, for 67 years, it's been home for Sport-Club Freiburg.

In the almost seven decades since it opened on September 1, 1954, the stadium has played host to Freiburg games in each of Germany's top three divisions, plus UEFA Cup games, men's and women's internationals, and even the Dutch national team, who trained there during the 2006 World Cup.

On Sunday, it hosted men's Bundesliga football for the 360th and final time, with head coach Christian Streich impressing upon his players the need to strike the right balance between the emotion of the occasion and the job to be done on the pitch against Augsburg.

He needn't have worried. Lukas Kübler, Lucas Höler and Vincenzo Grifo (penalty) scored the Dreisamstadion's 997th, 998th and 999th Bundesliga goals to end the game as a contest by halftime.

Freiburg's Dreisamstadion is one of Germany's most iconic football grounds

Christian Streich: Dreisamstadion personified

The 14,000 Freiburg supporters were free to enjoy the final 45 minutes inside a stadium that reflects its tenants more than any other in professional German football. SC Freiburg and the Dreisamstadion: bywords for tradition, beauty, friendliness, sustainable financial management and good, honest football.

And, if there is a single Freiburger who personifies those values himself, it's Streich. A former Freiburg player, the 56-year-old is now the Bundesliga's longest-serving coach, having taken charge of 363 games since 2011.

At full-time, with tears in his eyes, Streich climbed into the north stand behind the goal, took a megaphone from the ultras and led the stadium in song: "Im Dreisamstadion, hier sind wir zuhaus" — "At the Dreisamstadion, this is where we are at home."

"I don't belong on the terraces," he then admitted. "But I think a few people would have been disappointed today if I hadn't gone. It's been 25 years. A long time. Working here every day, innumerable matches, thousands of training sessions. Now I can enjoy it."

A pitch too short and one goal lower than the other

And yet no one could have envisaged that the plot of land in the valley to the east of town would come to have such meaning for the people of Freiburg when the Sport-Club first moved there in 1954. The team had been without a home since the end of World War II, after their old ground had been commissioned for use by the Luftwaffe in 1936.

In 1970, a stand with 480 covered seats was added. A further expansion followed in 1978 and, by 1980, a new main stand and expanded standing terrace increased capacity to 15,000. Floodlights were finally added after the club's first promotion to the Bundesliga, in 1993, with the capacity reaching 18,000.

The stadium reached its current 24,000 capacity in 1999, making it the third-smallest Bundesliga stadium this season, after Union Berlin's Stadion an der Alten Försterei and Greuther Fürth's Sportpark Ronhof.

Since Freiburg's arrival in the top flight, the Dreisamstadion has been a unique location in German football — not least because its pitch is technically 5 meters (16.4 feet) too short and one goal is 98 centimeters (38.6 inches) lower than the other, the pitch sloping south to north.

Only special dispensation from the German Football League (DFL) allows Freiburg to play there, and it has proven a notoriously difficult place to go for visiting teams.

In the 1990s, it took Bayern Munich five attempts to finally win in Freiburg for the first time, even suffering a 5-1 thrashing in August 1994. Even Pep Guardiola lost in Freiburg, a 2-1 defeat in May 2015.

In total, Bayern only won 11 of their 21 trips to the Black Forest; their last game there last season also ended in a 2-2 draw.

Similarly, Borussia Dortmund have only won in Freiburg on 10 occasions, losing on their last two visits. Borussia Mönchengladbach have the worst record at the Dreisamstadion, winning only once.

'Goodbye, Dreisamstadion!' Even the traveling Augsburg supporters said their farewells

Flying golf balls and the worst away end in Germany

There will also be a few negative memories for Freiburg. The visit of Bayern on April 12, 2000, remains deeply etched in the memory. In the final stages of a 2-1 win, goalkeeper Oliver Kahn was struck by a golf ball thrown by a 16-year-old Freiburg fan behind his goal, drawing blood and earning Freiburg a fine of 75,000 deutsche marks.

And, on November 10, 2019, coach Streich was brutally body checked by Eintracht Frankfurt's David Abraham, sending him sprawling to the ground. Abraham was sent off and, in the melee that followed, so was Vincenzo Grifo.

The traveling Augsburg supporters in the southeast corner might not have seen Grifo's goal; the away section in Freiburg is commonly considered the worst in Germany by away fans — low down and hidden behind fences, netting and pillars, but iconic nonetheless.

All of that is now history. In October, Freiburg will move to the new, modern Europa-Park-Stadion just north of the city center, built at a total cost of just over €130 million ($152.5 million). It will be officially opened with a friendly against second-division side FC St. Pauli on October 7, before the Bundesliga visit of RB Leipzig on October 16.

"When something is beautiful, it's difficult to let go, but all things come to an end," Streich said before the match. "But I can't pretend that we've all been thinking 'Oh no!' Something new is coming, something positive, a great new stadium which we have all worked toward. Nobody has gifted it to us.

"So it's farewell, but it's also a new start."

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/10/2021 at 16:11, Eco said:

So, who is watching tomorrow? First match in the new stadium, should be epic. 

The most loved Bundesliga team vs the most hated team, so I know where everyone's loyalties lie. 

I typically watch all Freiburg matches. Was a bit sad.

During Freiburg match commentary over the weekend it was mentioned that Lucas Höler has scored in all top 5 tiers of German football.  I assume he's not alone in that feat but it's still impressive all the same that a player can work their way up through the ranks like that.  Personally, I love the guy and his work rate is fantastic.  He'll never play for Germany but he sums up what it means to play for Freiburg.

• 6 months later...
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Coma said:

Rumor on Kicker that Freiburg are interested in Kyerah at St. Pauli.  Very good player and I'd love to see it.

I wanted him for Werder :( him and Paqarada...

18 minutes ago, nudge said:

I wanted him for Werder :( him and Paqarada...

Paqarada is a great player as well.  Sounds like Freiburg have met with Kyerah but nothing finalized.  I'd imagine there will be a fee as I don't believe he's out of contract.

Just read that Burgstaller wants out of St. Pauli.  That team is being taken apart... the cost of missing out on promotion 😢.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After he retired, Niels Petersen was interviewed by kicker about his career and football in general. Thought he has an interesting take on life as a footballer and shared likeable opinions on his strengths and weaknesses as a player, the German national team and the new tendency to finish the active time in Saudi-Arabia. After reading this article I'm tempted to buy Petersen's book now to be released.

Disclaimer: Since Niels Petersen is a German and kicker are a German magazine, you might be able to guess which language this interview was conducted in.

http://www.kicker.de/petersen-im-karriere-interview-ich-war-ein-goldfisch-im-haifischbecken-959959/artikel

Edited by Rucksackfranzose
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

After he retired, Niels Petersen was interviewed by kicker about his career and football in general. Thought he has an interesting take on life as a footballer and shared likeable opinions on his strengths and weaknesses as a player, the German national team and the new tendency to finish the active time in Saudi-Arabia. After reading this article I'm tempted to buy Petersen's book now to be released.

Disclaimer: Since Niels Petersen is a German and kicker are a German magazine, you might be able to guess which language this interview was conducted in.

http://www.kicker.de/petersen-im-karriere-interview-ich-war-ein-goldfisch-im-haifischbecken-959959/artikel

A very good read. Very self-reflected and honest. And he does seem to be a very likable guy with good values. So no wonder that he felt at home in Freiburg, especially with Christian Streich as his coach. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Actually seemed like a half decent google translation. Seems like hes got a very decent head on his shoulders, very likeable guy. Cheers.