talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020/21 Die Sympathie-Tabelle der Bundesliga

football forum

No @Faithcore, Duisburg are NOT back in the Bundesliga, but let's do the annual Sympathy Table for the Bundesliga! 

Rank the teams based on your feelings towards them, and add some descriptions as to why you feel that way about said team. 

Viel Glück!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I did this as well when I did this last, but I am going to put mine into Tiers as I don't have a team in Bundesliga, and within the tiers, I'll place the teams in alphabetical order so there are no biases. :)

TIER 1
Augsburg FC - 
Been wanting to join a membership of a German club and really follow a team. As of today, that is in the works with Augsburg FC. A few things really likable about the club, and so they now stand alone in the top tier. 

TIER 2
Freiburg
- What a great club this is. Stunning city, smaller city with a smaller football team that appears to remain focused and centered around the fans and the community, and they have been punching above their weight for some time and just continue this fairy tale run that they have been on. I can only hope that they remain up after losing so many keys pieces this past year. 

Schalke - Yeah, so I have always been intrigued by Schalke, as they also seem to be very fan focused and run a good program. They have a great stadium, look to have a fantastic atmosphere, have Herr @SchalkeUK, and are one of the historic clubs in Germany. 

Union Berlin - Another just great club, with a fantastic story, and a fan base that is so unique and Germany yet works perfectly with the ideals and values of the club. I got wrapped up in all the pageantry when they were promoted, and have enjoyed the few games I have been able to watch. 

A German Team - Ah, for those that don't know, this is Borussia Monchengladbach, who were joked by being called, "A German Team', after a pub owner joked about the difficulty in spelling their name. I have added the photo below for reference. But this team has great kits, a history of Americans, and are like Freiburg on drugs, small city with a very successful team. Gladbach also have played some great football so it's been so much easier to watch them. 

_92117496_gladbach_twitter.jpg

Eintracht Frankfurt - Another team  I got caught up in watching when they have Rebic, Jovic, and Kostic leading them in the Euros where they fought well against Chelsea. From what I have heard and read, Frankfurt likely have the best, most vocal fans in the country and create an atmosphere that I can only hope to experience one day personally. 

TIER 3
VfB Stuttgart - Classic German team, that is in a great city, home of a great car, and has certainly provided some of the most historic moments in German football. Hard times have seen them become a sort of yo-yo club, but I have found myself wishing for their success as I truly think the Bundesliga is better when they are in it. 

Vfb Wolfsburg - So yes, here is were Germans and Bundesliga purist begin to gag and start looking for some kind of 'downvote' button. But Wolfsburg have hands down the best kit in the league, IMO, and have had some of my favorite players there since I have started watching. My wife and I both drive VW and I have always enjoyed the brand and cars, so I do feel a bit of pull towards this team. Certainly the downside is that lack of local support and the fact that they are hated throughout Germany, but they aren't here in Atlanta B|

Werder Bremen - Called many things on here, including 'The Woman's Team", it's easy for me to see why Bremen have so many fans as they are certainly a historic club that has a long and impressive history. They also benefit from having absolute class jerseys (my favorite color is green obviously), and some of the best posters on here. 

TIER 4
 Mainz and Bielfeld - Normal emotions, with the first two becoming a staple in the Bundesliga but not really adding much other than a fixture filler, and the later being a team I know little about other than they had a stellar year last year and thus gain automatic promotion. 

TIER 5
Bayer Leverkusen - Eh, doesn't nothing for me, but they had Chicarito so that certainly pegs them down a few slots. Keeping Kai might have moved them up, but with him on the way out, I have no pull to wish this team onto any kind of victory. 

Bayern Munich - So yeah, they have moved up a tier only because I find myself in amazement on how well they run their team. Great with transfers yet are European Champions. They also defeated PSG so that certainly puts them in my good graces, even if only temporary. Their strangle hold on the league is annoying, frustrating, and not great for the league, but their business model is just head and shoulders above everyone else.

Borussia Dortmund - Similar to Bayern Munich, great business model, buys cheaper and young, develops, and sells high. They also benefit as they have had two of the up and coming Americans on their team and have helped them develop. Great fans, great football, but they still remain here as I just can’t get fully behind them.

TIER 6
Hertha Berlin – This is completely unexplainable, but I have never like Hertha. Berlin is a great city, but damn this team irritates me beyond belief. Maybe it’s their track around their pitch (which I hate), or their crazy spending habits only to finish midtable year in and out.

Hoffenheim – Never heard a good thing about this team or their owner. While I give more leeway to Bayer and Wolfsburg who are backed by massive corporations in their German Cities, Hoffenheim just benefit because of SAP and their rich fan. They aren’t exciting, seem to have little loyalty amongst their players, and overall would like to see them in 2. Bundesliga.

Koln – Another one that is difficult to explain. I have nothing against goats, I love Koln when I visited, and this team might have the best pre-game song in all of Germany, but something about them turns my stomach. I chuckled during their fall from grace, and I’m not sure if it’s because they just annoy me, or the fact that Kolsch is shit beer water from this city, but they can go back down this year and I would be certainly fine with that.

RB Leipzig – This team is soooooo easy to hate. Great city, but my god they are a walking billboard for a company that I am tired of seeing every time I turn on the TV. NYRB and the same goes for RB Leipzig, and the only thing to come out of RB is Max Verstappen. I would imagine they are the most hated team in the team for the blatant and obvious bending of the 50+1 rules, so they are right fuck off.

• Subscriber
  1. Bremen - no explanation needed.
  2. Union Berlin - always had a soft spot for them due to the way the club is run, fan culture, atmosphere, and them being an East German club. Last season's relegation battle and their role in helping us survive only made the feelings stronger and it seems we have the beginning of a fan friendship on our hands as a result.
  3. Freiburg - a very well run club despite limited resources; great club character, sane, quiet environment, down to earth management + Christian Streich.
  4. Gladbach - great history, massive club, always found them very likeable. Managed to recover well after their downfall and is a very well run club now.
  5. Köln - a lot of tradition, a lot of passion, great atmosphere + Hennes.
  6. Frankfurt - don't really care, proper club, well run. 
  7. Leverkusen - don't care, but don't really mind them much either.
  8. Bielefeld - don't care, respect for the hard and honest work after all the misery.
  9. Stuttgart - don't care, have never really liked them but respect for great youth development.
  10. Mainz - don't care.
  11. BVB - great atmosphere, great history, and usually great football; bandwagon fans made them more annoying in recent years though. Don't particularly like their current management either, and they are starting to feel way too commercial for my liking.
  12. Augsburg - don't care, don't particularly like.
  13. Bayern - saved the world from apocalypse by beating PSG. Also gets bonus points for being Sandro Wagner's favourite club. Still arrogant pricks though.
  14. Hertha - never liked them; like them even less now that they found a sugar daddy in Windhorst. 
  15. Schalke - just a thoroughly unlikeable club, and has been for years.
  16. Wolfsburg - eww. Not a fan of VW.
  17. Hoffenheim - *puking intensifies*
  18. RB - emperor Palpatine level of evil. 

I used to watch German football about a decade ago when it was on some channel in Australia that I cannot remember the name of. I used to really like it. Forgive me for skipping any German diacriticals, or using English words.
No particular order.
Werder Bremen: I don't actually care for this team, but I want them to be just bad enough that they are always in the relegation battle but just good enough that they aren't relegated, just to torture Devil Dick. Sorry, Nudge.

Hoffenheim and RBL: Mainly because they cause the purists to tear their fingernails out and ear their own hair in anger, I think that is both good and bad for the league. I used to like the gose but I feel like it has been butchered by American breweries.

Wolfsburg and Leverkusen: I really like how Bayer and VolksWagen set up teams for their employees, I think that is nice. But I also dislike how they are professional teams it probably should have only been amateur to actually let the employees play, and Bayer in particular isn't exactly the 'nicest' conglomerate in the world. I do like Berocca and the Combi however. Bayer in particular has had a bunch of players I'd liked.

Dortmund: I always seem to know someone guy that is a mega-fan of this club, and they suck it's dick so hard you'd think they were the Mother Theresa of football. One guy was cool, he was a Bosniak that grew up Dortmund after the Yugoslav war though. Those people (except that one guy) soured my opinion on the club, it's oh so tiring hearing about how perfect something is.

Monaco di Baviera: All the best players in Germany, some of the best players in Europe, I used to enjoy watching that team under Jupp Heynckes (and the new guy is pretty good) but it's just so exhausting. They are so damn good they can go from the worst start in the league to smashing every team and winning the league like it's no problem, or it was part of their plan. What made me dislike them was when they couldn't beat Dortmund so they just bought their team, that is a bit much for me. I do however, enjoy Bavarian stereotypes and Bayern Hunchen jokes. Also Bavarian beer is just so damn fine. I think their players dope, look at Goretzka FFS. It's also not the same without Schweinsteiger and Lahm.

Koln: I don't really know much about Koln but one of my high-school teachers moved there and married a local, and I like kolsch. I always liked Lukas Podolski as well.

Schalke: I used to admire Schalke, they had a pretty good team. Howedes, Huntelaar, Neuer, Goretzka, off the top of my head. They seemed to just tell Howedes to fuck off though, that was a bit weird.

Stuttgart: It's a joke how many players they've let through their fingers.

Frankfurt: A cool emblem and jersey, and I liked Alex Meier.

The Berlin teams: I think of burnt out Australians on contiki tours, 'dude berlin was fuckin hectic braz'.

Monchengladbach: fantastic name that annihilates English speaking brains and they have a cool history of players like Heynckes.

Mainz, Freigburg, Bielefeld, Augsburg: No opinion.

16 hours ago, Spike said:

Schalke: I used to admire Schalke, they had a pretty good team. Howedes, Huntelaar, Neuer, Goretzka, off the top of my head. They seemed to just tell Howedes to fuck off though, that was a bit weird.

No! don't single out Benny from that list - add Max,  Ivan, Sead, Christian, Julian, Timo. Joel - even Slonka's treatment of Mesut  and then others and include them all.  With Tonnies gone perhaps there could be a better future and the upstairs will learn to talk to the players with Respect - Manuel was in tears when he sat with me as he was about to leave, Max was gutted at the way he was being treated and Julian felt he was back at school at times.  04 has always been a club which resides not only in Gelsenkirchen, but in the hearts of players and fans and it would be nice to get back to that again!  David W is trying to do that as he experience it back in his playing days, but it will take time!

• 6 months later...
  • Subscriber
  1. Bremen
  2. Union Berlin
  3. Freiburg
  4. Gladbach
  5. Stuttgart
  6. Köln
  7. Leverkusen
  8. Bielefeld
  9. Mainz
  10. Augsburg
  11. BVB
  12. Frankfurt
  13. Bayern
  14. Hertha 
  15. Schalke
  16. Wolfsburg
  17. Hoffenheim
  18. RB 

Just reshuffled mine. Biggest change is Frankfurt losing 6 positions for being sore losers and moaning mimosas, while Stuttgart move up from 9th to 5th for their admirable work with moderate resources and attractive style of play. 

1. Freiburg

2. Gladbach

3. Bremen

4. Frankfurt

5. Mainz

6. Union

7. Augsburg

8. Bielefeld

9. Leverkusen

10. Schalke

11. Stuttgart

12. Hertha 

13. Dortmund

14. Wolfsburg. 

15. Bayern

16. Hoffenheim

17. *öln

18. RB

• Subscriber
On 07/03/2021 at 10:46, nudge said:
  1. Bremen
  2. Union Berlin
  3. Freiburg
  4. Gladbach
  5. Stuttgart
  6. Köln
  7. Leverkusen
  8. Bielefeld
  9. Mainz
  10. Augsburg
  11. BVB
  12. Frankfurt
  13. Bayern
  14. Hertha 
  15. Schalke
  16. Wolfsburg
  17. Hoffenheim
  18. RB 

Just reshuffled mine. Biggest change is Frankfurt losing 6 positions for being sore losers and moaning mimosas, while Stuttgart move up from 9th to 5th for their admirable work with moderate resources and attractive style of play. 

A year later and we are still firmly in 13th. Il take it :)

Also Tommy what happend to Dortmund to be so far down your list out of curiosity?

On 09/03/2021 at 17:56, Viva la FCB said:

Also Tommy what happend to Dortmund to be so far down your list out of curiosity?

Bunch of mercenary divas. Watzke is annoying. 

Didn't know this thread existed.  We should do one for the zweite and dritte leagues, too.

Tier 1 - Favorites

Dortmund - The team that introduced me to the Bundesliga 20+ years ago.  They're players are generally likeable and they invest in youth.  They always underachieve so I don't get the hate.

Freiburg - Christian Streich continues to make magic there and I feel obligated to get behind a small team since I also follow a big one.

Tier 2 - Soft Spot

Mainz - If only because of their longevity and history of great coaches.  Also, I like the shirts.  I changed my profile badge to the Mainz logo for 1 week so that they would beat Augsburg but they sucked worse so I changed it back.

Stuttgart - My wife's family is from Stuttgart.  They have an American coach and they play a great style.

Bremen - Another of the first clubs that I watched when I was introduced to the Bundesliga.

Gladbach - Love the white shirt... wish they used green more.  They also seem to have several likeable players and play football the right way.

Tier 3 - Meh

Koln - I like beer and there is beer there.  I like carnival and there is carnival there.  The football is abysmal though.

Union - Wow, that stadium.  Maybe the coolest ground in the league.  Urs Fischer is awesome.  I probably should move them up a tier.

Bielefeld - I always root for teams to come up and stay up, but in general they are largely route one football and are difficult to watch.

Schalke - I don't hate them.  It's a shame what's happening there but...I can't not look at it.

Leverkusen - Why do they wear tonal crests on their shirts?  The epitome of the "meh" category.  

Hertha - I do like the drama in watching them struggle.  I hate Cunha.

Frankfurt - Nice stadium.  Don't really care about them otherwise.

Leipzig - The only thing that keeps them from the lowest tier is that I think Nagelsmann is a genius.  If he goes to Bayern I'll be fucked off.

Hoffenheim - Who cares.  I can't believe Kramaric is still there.

Tier 4 - Burn in Hell

Bayern - If we can't beat you we'll just take your players.  Fucking hate it.  Some will accuse Dortmund of the same but it's nowhere near the level of Bayern and it never will be.

Augsburg - A nothing team who's style of football is forgettable.  If for no other reason than they continue to take shitty points from teams that I'm rooting for.

Wolfsburg - It's not the corporate thing, it's just I don't like them.

10 minutes ago, Coma said:

Didn't know this thread existed.  We should do one for the zweite and dritte leagues, too.

Tier 1 - Favorites

Dortmund - The team that introduced me to the Bundesliga 20+ years ago.  They're players are generally likeable and they invest in youth.  They always underachieve so I don't get the hate.

Freiburg - Christian Streich continues to make magic there and I feel obligated to get behind a small team since I also follow a big one.

Tier 2 - Soft Spot

Mainz - If only because of their longevity and history of great coaches.  Also, I like the shirts.  I changed my profile badge to the Mainz logo for 1 week so that they would beat Augsburg but they sucked worse so I changed it back.

Stuttgart - My wife's family is from Stuttgart.  They have an American coach and they play a great style.

Bremen - Another of the first clubs that I watched when I was introduced to the Bundesliga.

Gladbach - Love the white shirt... wish they used green more.  They also seem to have several likeable players and play football the right way.

Tier 3 - Meh

Koln - I like beer and there is beer there.  I like carnival and there is carnival there.  The football is abysmal though.

Union - Wow, that stadium.  Maybe the coolest ground in the league.  Urs Fischer is awesome.  I probably should move them up a tier.

Bielefeld - I always root for teams to come up and stay up, but in general they are largely route one football and are difficult to watch.

Schalke - I don't hate them.  It's a shame what's happening there but...I can't not look at it.

Leverkusen - Why do they wear tonal crests on their shirts?  The epitome of the "meh" category.  

Hertha - I do like the drama in watching them struggle.  I hate Cunha.

Frankfurt - Nice stadium.  Don't really care about them otherwise.

Leipzig - The only thing that keeps them from the lowest tier is that I think Nagelsmann is a genius.  If he goes to Bayern I'll be fucked off.

Hoffenheim - Who cares.  I can't believe Kramaric is still there.

Tier 4 - Burn in Hell

Bayern - If we can't beat you we'll just take your players.  Fucking hate it.  Some will accuse Dortmund of the same but it's nowhere near the level of Bayern and it never will be.

Augsburg - A nothing team who's style of football is forgettable.  If for no other reason than they continue to take shitty points from teams that I'm rooting for.

Wolfsburg - It's not the corporate thing, it's just I don't like them.

Kölsch is no beer.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Kölsch is no beer.

I used to consider myself a beer snob but someone I knew once said that good beer is beer and bad beer is beer.  They'll both get you where you need to go.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Coma said:

Not to derail the thread... but what to Germans consider good beer?  I'm genuinely curious.  

Varies significantly based on the region/city they're from... Ask 10 Germans what is the best beer in Germany, and you'll get 30 different answers xD 

Just now, nudge said:

Varies significantly based on the region/city they're from... Ask 10 Germans what is the best beer in Germany, and you'll get 30 different answers xD 

I assumed that to be the case.  I started a new thread.

Archived