talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bibiana Steinhaus approved as Bundesliga's first female referee

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

yes, I normally wouldn't care, but I think she's been doing her job well and deserves it. Not sure if that comes from her being a police officer, but she definitely has presence on the pitch and it always looked like the players accepted and respected her, so I think she'll do just fine in the top division too.

Just now, nudge said:

it always looked like the players accepted and respected her,

Except for Kerem Demirbay while he played for Fortuna Düsseldorf. He told her women have no business in a men's sport, and as a punishment, he had to referee a girls' match. And he turned up like this: 

wichtige-fragen-die-kerem-demirbays-lche

:4_joy:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tsubasa said:

Except for Kerem Demirbay while he played for Fortuna Düsseldorf. He told her women have no business in a men's sport, and as a punishment, he had to referee a girls' match. And he turned up like this: 

wichtige-fragen-die-kerem-demirbays-lche

:4_joy:

yeah I know that, just shows cultural differences, really, haha. As a woman myself, I acknowledge the issues that many women would face in men's football (or any other sport for that matter), and definitely not many are suited for it, but if someone's doing a great job, then by all means they deserve it!

• Subscriber

^^Exactly. Gender quotas for the sake of it are simply stupid.

Steinhaus started out as a professional referee in 1999,  and she's been regularly officiating 2. and 3. Liga matches since 2007, while being often used as the 4th official in Bundesliga matches too. She's definitely competent. 

5 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Women shouldn't be thrown into the mens game for the sake of it, that would be more detrimental for me. 

If however they are good enough for the job (like this girl sounds to be) then why shouldn't they get the opportunity? 

Only the best for the position, regardless of gender!

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

IMO she is just not good enough to deserve that promotion.

Definitely better than some of the Bananen currently officiating in the 1. Bundesliga and not worse than most of the others...  I think she had the best official notes among all refs in 2. Liga last season, and from what I've seen in the last couple of years, her performances have been mostly consistent and decent at the very least.

Glad Stark and Perl are gone, they should take Gräfe with them too.

I remember her for some extremely bad performances but I must admit that I did not see much of her last season. 

Hard to believe for me that she improved that much but I guess we will see. 

You are surely right though that there are some really bad referees in the bundesliga. 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

I remember her for some extremely bad performances but I must admit that I did not see much of her last season. 

Hard to believe for me that she improved that much but I guess we will see. 

You are surely right though that there are some really bad referees in the bundesliga. 

To be fair I remember her best for the incident where Niemeyer groped her breast xD 

• Administrator

didn't know their was an age limit for officials in Germany. what do they do now?

happy for Steinhaus though. If she's good enough, she deserves the chance. Police officer experience will definitely come in handy. Is she allowed to carry handcuffs :ph34r: ?

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

didn't know their was an age limit for officials in Germany. what do they do now?

happy for Steinhaus though. If she's good enough, she deserves the chance. Police officer experience will definitely come in handy. Is she allowed to carry handcuffs :ph34r: ?

Yep, 47 is the official age limit, they are not allowed to officiate in the top tiers afterwards. Well for most it's the 2nd job anyway, so I guess they just continue with their main jobs, some get involved in the Referee Commission or some other position within the DFB, some become "experts" for Sky to talk shit week in week out :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

some become "experts" for Sky to talk shit week in week out :ph34r:

Yup, and they always sound like they're in some 80's phone booth when they call them during matches. 

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Yup, and they always sound like they're in some 80's phone booth when they call them during matches. 

Does Markus Merk EVER say that the ref's decision was incorrect? I mean, I haven't witnessed it so far xD Even for the most ridiculous ones, he comes with some half-arsed explanation ala "kann man geben, muss aber nicht" xD 

11 hours ago, nudge said:

Does Markus Merk EVER say that the ref's decision was incorrect? I mean, I haven't witnessed it so far xD Even for the most ridiculous ones, he comes with some half-arsed explanation ala "kann man geben, muss aber nicht" xD 

"Die Sicht war verdeckt", "schwer zu sehen" etc. :D

Another crappy thing they do with their "experts" like Metzelder, Matthäus etc. is when they show their tactics-screen that covers 80% of the screen and you can't even see what's going on at the game anymore. 

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Tsubasa said:

"Die Sicht war verdeckt", "schwer zu sehen" etc. :D

Another crappy thing they do with their "experts" like Metzelder, Matthäus etc. is when they show their tactics-screen that covers 80% of the screen and you can't even see what's going on at the game anymore. 

I like Metzelder as the "expert" though, he always looks pissed like he would rather be somewhere else xD 

But yeah, Sky is crap. I liked when it was still Premiere, was much simpler with less nonsense.

If she's a good referee then good for her. I hope for her she's above-average though, as every mistake she makes will inspire a chorus of "told you so"-sayers. That's quite a heavy burden.

That leaves us with the question what the hell kind of name is Bibiana? :ph34r:

• 3 years later...

Archived