talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pierre Gasly

football forum

• Administrator

His time has come.

Not only having experienced his first race win, but he now gets his own thread on here :x

Thanks to choosing him in the F1 Prediction game as a driver, I've paid a lot more attention to him and he is very talented. Everyone knows how badly he was treated by RB last season and they're paying the price more than anyone, with not having anyone competitive against Verstappen. Albon is underwhelming and the way Gasly spoke after the race (and in the article below) makes me think that Gasly really does want to prove RB wrong, but also be positive about it in the process and focus on himself more than anything else.

You can tell he's respected across the teams/drivers as well, especially when you hear of the comments from Hamilton, Leclerc, Grosjean. Other drivers know another good one when they see one and Gasly is that driver. A nice guy it seems as well! 

Pierre Gasly produced a redemption story for the ages and joined one of Formula 1's most select groups with a stunning victory for the Red Bull junior team at the Italian Grand Prix.

Not much more than a year ago, the Frenchman was demoted from Red Bull's senior team after just half a season, in which he had struggled to get on terms with team-mate Max Verstappen.

Since then, he has delivered a string of outstanding performances. A second place at last year's Brazilian Grand Prix, fighting off Lewis Hamilton in a drag race to the line, was as good as anybody - including Gasly himself - thought it could ever get at the team now known as Alpha Tauri. But he topped it at Monza on Sunday.

In doing so, he joined four-time champion Sebastian Vettel as the only man to win a race for the team which began its life back in 1985 as Minardi, and perhaps provided himself some solace a week after the first anniversary of the death of his childhood best friend Antoine Hubert in a Formula 2 race at the Belgian Grand Prix.

On the podium afterwards, after spraying the champagne, Gasly sat down and took a few seconds to let the achievement sink in.

"I had a lot of things in my mind," he said. "My family, my friends, my brother, all the people who supported me and kept pushing me all the time. You just remember everything you have gone through. And I was just trying to imagine all these people and the tifosi who should be there. It was a very special moment."

He is a lovely guy, Gasly, a fact reflected in the genuine and heartfelt congratulations that came from throughout Formula 1.

"So, so, so happy for Pierre," said Ferrari's Charles Leclerc, another childhood friend and rival. "What a drive. He deserves it so much."

And from Hamilton, who in recent times has taken to playing Call of Duty online with the 24-year-old - and sometimes Leclerc, too - when they have time to kill in the evenings.

"Pierre is just a really nice guy and he has a lot of talent and I don't think he was necessarily treated fairly at Red Bull when he got demoted," Hamilton said. "And it's not easy for a driver when that happens, so I empathise with that.

"To then build the confidence up in a not-as-quick team and then come around with some really great performances he's had this year already with that car and then to get a win, it is not easy.

"Really impressed. I think he has done a fantastic job. He deserves the success and hopefully that creates an opportunity for him moving forwards. Also, he beat the team that demoted him, so it's gonna hurt for them."

Ironically, Red Bull's decision to swap Gasly for Alex Albon at the halfway point of last season has been the making of him, and raised some awkward questions for the team.

Red Bull felt Gasly was in a confidence tailspin that he was not going to pull himself out of. The move could have crushed a weaker character, but Gasly has used it to rebuild his reputation.

He has comfortably out-performed team-mate Daniil Kvyat, while Albon has struggled against Verstappen in much the same way as Gasly did - to the extent that, had Red Bull not already swapped them once, they might even be thinking of a switch now.

"The only thing I have done since they moved me back to Toro Rosso is just to focus on myself and show what I can do when I get the right tools in my hands," Gasly said.

"It was a tough moment last year. I grew up with four older brothers. As a child, I had to go through quite difficult moments which built me a pretty strong character, and I always had to fight for everything I wanted. I always in some way managed to turn that negative energy into something positive.

"I knew last year what happened - deep inside me I felt hurt and I didn't feel it was fair to me and I really wanted to make a clear point in that moment that, look, I know I am fast, I know I can deliver, I know I have been fighting for victories for pole, for championships in my early years and that's what I want in F1.

"I really worked very hard with the team and I knew I had everything in my hands to show my potential.

"I just tried to focus on my own performance, not really looking at the others, taking race after race, looking at what I can improve on my side, what I can improve with the team, just to extract more from myself and from the package and combination.

"Honestly, I can't be happier with the team I have at the moment, they are giving me everything I need to be competitive. They put all the energy into my performance, which I am really grateful for."

_114264635_gaslypodiumepa.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love him! Such a genuinely nice guy and a great racing talent! His last 18 months alone could be made into a documentary. Promoted to Red Bull, demoted, losing one of his closest friends, coming back so strong after all this. Incredible fighting spirit and mental strength. 

The episodes "Great Expectations" and "Raging Bulls" on Drive to Survive that show his struggles against Max and his ultimate demotion to Toro Rosso really showed what kind of a gentle and sensitive soul he is. Made me sympathize with him so much. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for him. Hopefully outside of Red Bull one day. 

He also got his own subreddit btw: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGreatGasly/

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Should have bought it before he won a race...  xD 

My love was Pierre was always strong, but it just solidified after that win and seeing what emotions it caused in me. Meh... I'll still be there for him when the others abandon him again. xD

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

My love was Pierre was always strong, but it just solidified after that win and seeing what emotions it caused in me. Meh... I'll still be there for him when the others abandon him again. xD

That's from his official shop:

https://pierregaslyshop.com/fr/accueil/84-casquette-pierre-gasly.html

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I have a question. I think @nudge, your detective skills can be useful in this. Does anyone know the song in the video? I asked in the comments but got no reply. :(

Woud be easier if he wasn't  talking the whole bloody time xD 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I have a question. I think @nudge, your detective skills can be useful in this. Does anyone know the song in the video? I asked in the comments but got no reply. :(

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

Woud be easier if he wasn't  talking the whole bloody time xD 

I went scrolling in the comments and this is the official page commenting xD

image.png

• 1 month later...

https://www.planetf1.com/news/pierre-gasly-eyeing-renault-seat/?fbclid=IwAR2xx9HN0rSMY06gvg10HdLaD5z8LQddVovcsiDKsnZ3-Am35-b1PtTMMCo

Gasly ‘eyeing Renault seat next to Alonso’

A reason may have been found for Pierre Gasly having “upset a few people at Red Bull” – it’s claimed he is eyeing a Renault drive.

PA-55480233-1.jpg

After the Eifel Grand Prix, Sky Sports pundit Paul di Resta somewhat reluctantly revealed a “paddock whisper” that Gasly had metaphorically put a few noses out of joint in the Red Bull organisation, having been dropped from their senior team last year.

Switched with Alex Albon, the Frenchman has rebounded from the disappointment by compiling a superb 2020 campaign with AlphaTauri, highlighted, of course, by his remarkable victory in the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

Gasly’s results this year have prompted suggestions that he and struggling Albon could be swapped back – but it may not be that straightforward, with Di Resta’s comments and also a news report from Switzerland indicating as much.

Swiss media outlet Blick, in an article sub-titled ‘Transfer chaos gets bigger and bigger’ have suggested Gasly “is even supposed to negotiate with Renault for the seat next to comeback star Fernando Alonso (drove 21 laps in the current Renault on Tuesday as part of a filming day in Barcelona) – for compatriot Esteban Ocon.”

Clearly this would be a contentious move as Gasly and Ocon were former karting rivals and best friends, but their relationship took a downturn when their careers began to develop towards F1 and they appear to be nowhere near as close as they used to be.
And for Ocon, to be pushed out after one year by a rival and compatriot of the same age, it would be difficult to bear.

However, Ocon’s results since replacing Nico Hulkenberg for this season can generally be described as underwhelming.

The 24-year-old has been continually outperformed by his team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, who gave Renault their first podium finish since 2011 at the Eifel Grand Prix.

In fairness, Ocon has suffered more reliability issues than the Australian, but a qualifying record of 10-1 in Ricciardo’s favour speaks volumes, the exception being on a wet track for the Styrian Grand Prix.

From the Renault perspective, if this rumour was borne out, they would have two race winners in their team as they prepare to be rebranded Alpine for 2021.

For Ocon, who has a contract with Renault until the end of 2021, there is the security of knowing he remains under the management of Mercedes, albeit – unlike George Russell – he is no longer a part of their junior team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/03/2021 at 20:24, nudge said:

A very emotional piece by Pierre on The Players' Tribune. 

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/you-want-to-know-the-real-pierre-01f13k31t2x0/

Finally found the time to read this and phew.... bit emotional that. I completely forgot that Anthoine died on the same weekend when Pierre was back at Toro Rosso. As if that demotion wasn't enough of a slap in the neck for Pierre, he additionally lost his best friend on the same weekend. Kudos that he chose that "trauma" to grow from it. 

Also some spicy words about Red Bull. I'm sure he'll leave the Red Bull program completely after this season. He seems like a very sensitive guy who needs a team who value and support him 100%. If he finds that, and it's a good team, I can see him driving at the very top to be honest. Maybe Alpine when Alonso calls it a day again. Anyway, I'll be rooting for Pierre, like I already did last season(s)! :)

Archived