• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Edouard Mendy Signs For Chelsea

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Edouard Mendy Signs For Chelsea
8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

There is alot of up and downs for all in that chart to be fair. Neither look anywhere near top notch mate.

You're telling me you aren't convinced by out of context statistics from two seasons ago?!?!?

22 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I understand the Werner signing and i understand the Haverrz signing. I would have thought though that every other penny would have been invested into a top notch GK and a top notch CB. 

Chelsea's transfer window just seems so scattergun to me? 

We will make up for it in January... I understand we have another 120Mill of the Hazard money still to spend... 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Torres was one of the most feared strikers on the planet. Must be a Chelsea thing :ph34r: 

Even Kante isnt wanted anymore xD

Torres unfortunately rushed back to play for Liverpool and Spain after his knee surgery, which just ruined him physically. I don’t think he ever really adapted to his body being weaker in 2010. Though he did win a World Cup, so I don’t think he ever regrets it

Well Kante is a lot longer in the tooth than when he joined. Maybe his engine just doesn't have the same output anymore? Only 29 but he has played a lot of football and at high impact over the last half-decade. Of course, I'm biased but I see no reason why Chelsea should sell him, unless for an outrageous transfer fee.

If only Kante was a little ballsier when attacking, he seems like he is a bit scared when he gets into the opposition third. Shame really, because he'd be hands down the best midfielder in the world if he wasn't scared to take a risk. The bloke can really do everything.

13 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

There is alot of up and downs for all in that chart to be fair. Neither look anywhere near top notch mate.

Who's top notch that was available? Kepa is statistically the worse keeper in Europe's top 5 leagues. At this point, Lev Yashin's dead corpse on the goal line would be a better keeper. 

13 hours ago, Spike said:

You're telling me you aren't convinced by out of context statistics from two seasons ago?!?!?

Only Areola's statistics were from 2 years ago (his last season as a starter for PSG), whereas Mendy and Kepa were from last season. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

All that chart really shows me is that Areola is weirdly shit at collecting crosses, but overall I'd probably like him better than the other two keepers. Maybe Chelsea should have signed him?

Cech personally chose Mendy if I'm not mistaken. Any Chelsea fan that watches us regularly and looks at the chart, can see why we are opting for Mendy. We looked incredibly vulnerable last season at set pieces and crosses into the box. Embarrassingly vulnerable actually. Mendy's ability to command his box and the vast superiority he has over Kepa in shot stopping, is why I fail to believe Mendy is in the same standard as the worst keeper in Europe's 5 leagues. 

I wonder whether Kepa's age might have been a factor, there is a reason many goalkeepers don't fully bloom until their late 20s, it's the hardest position on the pitch mentally and especially with the scrutiny nowadays, you're only ever 2 mistakes from doom. 

Then again De Gea was amazing at a young age and appears now to be on a downward trajectory. I think internal pressure probably plays a part, I can't think of an equivalent role in sport that has such mental obstacles, perhaps a top order batsmen in cricket? I do really feel for Goalkeepers when they become this pariah figure, at fault for everything etc. Happened with Karius at Liverpool too, no question Liverpool did the right thing in getting Allisson, but I wonder how you can ever come back from that.

The way Karius was treated after than final by some people was shameful. Poor lad performed well for us that season, obviously his mistakes on the night couldn’t have been at a worse time but he deserved a lot better. I hope he finds a club in Germany, where the fans embrace him. He’s still young, and needs a arm around him to build that confidence back up. Turkey just wasn’t the right environment for him. 

10 hours ago, Rick said:

The way Karius was treated after than final by some people was shameful. Poor lad performed well for us that season, obviously his mistakes on the night couldn’t have been at a worse time but he deserved a lot better. I hope he finds a club in Germany, where the fans embrace him. He’s still young, and needs a arm around him to build that confidence back up. Turkey just wasn’t the right environment for him. 

Hes off to Berlin on loan.

Archived