talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga Sack Race

I know the season hasn't even begun yet. Still, why should we predict the first manager to be sacked only when it's rather obvious which one it'll be? Was in a spiteful mood today and checked the odds for Buli managers to be sacked.

In order of assumed probability:

David Wagner   3/1

Peter Bosz/ Markus Gisdol/ Heiko Herrlich   5/1 each

Lucien Favre/ Florian Kohfeldt/ Bruno Labbadia/ Pellegrino Materazzo   7/1 each

Achim Beierlorzer/ Uwe Neuhaus   10/1 each

Urs Fischer/ Sebastian Hoeneß/ Adi Hütter   15/1 each

Oliver Glasner   20/1

Christian Streich   25/1

Hans-Dieter Flick/ Julian Nagelsmann/ Marco Rose   50/1 each

Bit surprised Streich got that short odds, as I'd say every other Buli manager is far more likely to be sacked, and i'm expressly including Flick and Nagelsmann here. Disappointed with the short odds Wagner got, wanted to to put a few bucks on him.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Bundesliga Sack Race
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2020 at 16:22, Eco said:

Easy. Wagner. 

So I was spot on with this prediction like 99% of other people. 

Now that Mainz has fired their manager, who will be the 3rd sacking of the year? 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Eco said:

So I was spot on with this prediction like 99% of other people. 

Now that Mainz has fired their manager, who will be the 3rd sacking of the year? 

Gisdol.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Eco said:

I thought about him for obvious reasons, but what about Glasner? Wolfsburg have exactly been looking good and are already out of the Europa League. 

Think he's not in that much danger at the moment. Wolfsburg have been missing quite a few players with injuries, that surely will give him some leeway. But if they fail to start winning in the league soon enough, then surely there will be pressure on him.

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Think he's not in that much danger at the moment. Wolfsburg have been missing quite a few players with injuries, that surely will give him some leeway. But if they fail to start winning in the league soon enough, then surely there will be pressure on him.

I'm just curious if Wolfsburg lose Weghorst (which has been rumored), then I'd be worried about Glasner's role. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm just curious if Wolfsburg lose Weghorst (which has been rumored), then I'd be worried about Glasner's role. 

In what sense? Because you think Wolfsburg will struggle to win without Weghorst, and that will end Glasner?

1 minute ago, nudge said:

In what sense? Because you think Wolfsburg will struggle to win without Weghorst, and that will end Glasner?

In the sense that Wolfsburg has struggled early to score, and losing their best strikers without a replacement could doom them even further. Not that I think it will happen, but it certainly could. 

What do you suppose is the job security for Florian? 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

In the sense that Wolfsburg has struggled early to score, and losing their best strikers without a replacement could doom them even further. Not that I think it will happen, but it certainly could. 

What do you suppose is the job security for Florian? 

If they sell Weghorst, then I'd expect them to get a replacement for him before the transfer market shuts... If they don't, then it's surely Schäfer's fault, not Glasner's? But sure, if the struggle, the trainer is usually the first one to go, so it certainly could happen. 

In case of Kohfeldt, hard to say. Don't think he'll survive another relegation battle, but as long as we're getting points and not losing 10 matches in a row, he's likely safe. Don't think we can afford sacking him and appointing some new manager, anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Glasner has openly criticised Wolfsburg's transfer policy today and said he's very frustrated that they didn't sign an attacking player despite them discussing it for months. Schmadtke said he's disappointed with Glasner complaining to the media, and especially with the timing of it. Looks like we might have another sacking soon.

• 11 months later...

Since we're slowly but inexorably approaching the time, when the first clubs lose their patience with their managers, wondered who will be sacked in the near future. There are a few candidates in my opinion.

Frankfurt can't be satisfied with the points they won under Glasner's helm so far. Hertha BSC's point tally and league position surely doesn't fit their self-image as undisputable number 1 in Berlin. Leipzig hoped for more than 8th place after 8 matches and nil points from three CL games, which indicates Marsch might be under pressure. Van Bommel might be under scrutiny as well, if Wolfsburg continue their losing streak against Freiburg, which is far from impossible. Finally there are the usual suspects at the south end of the table: Leitl at Fürth, Kramer at Bielefeld, Reiss at Bochum, and Weinzierl at Augsburg.

• Subscriber

I thought about Van Bommel after seeing that Wolfsburg lost against Salzburg today, as well. Could see him getting the sack if they lose the next match in the league. 

I think RB will stick with Marsch (hopefully).

I don't feel like Leitl or Reiss deserve the sack.  Fürth management should not have expected to stay up with no real signings of note.  The only reason they were promoted (imo) was Kiel going into quarantine so many times at the end of last season.  Bochum haven't been that bad really.

I would expect Van Bommel, Glasner, or Weinzierl to be the favorites at this point.  I'd put Weinzierl at the top of that list.

Who would you designate as the surprise manager of the season?  I mean... besides the obvious... (cough) Streich (cough).

It continues to amaze me how well Urs Fischer has done to keep Union competitive in the top division, and they're playing some fantastic football.  Also, credit to Baumgart, although I think Köln are punching above their ability right now due to a favorable schedule.

1 hour ago, Coma said:

Who would you designate as the surprise manager of the season?  I mean... besides the obvious... (cough) Streich (cough).

To be fair, Streich doing well is hardly a surprise.:) Besides Baumgart Seoane should be mentioned, am surprised how well he adopted to Buli and with the beautiful football they play, Bayern match notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

To be fair, Streich doing well is hardly a surprise.:) Besides Baumgart Seoane should be mentioned, am surprised how well he adopted to Buli and with the beautiful football they play, Bayern match notwithstanding.

Perhaps I should have rephrased that as "surprise position in the league".  Certainly Streich gets the most out of his players but to be 4th and unbeaten through 8 matches is a surprise.

Archived