talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

U20 World Cup 2017; ENGLAND ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Cordova has been on fire at this tournament for Venezuela. Very impressive for them to look so comfortable in beating Germany and Mexico. 

Also very nice of Vanuatu to score those 2 goals against Germany to allow Mexico to take 2nd place by 1 goal. Venezuela going all the way 

I have read some bitter comments from some Mexican fans saying that Venezuela did nothing but out-muscle them, but they have nice a balance of skill and grit, and it would be awesome to see them going all the way at this tournament. 

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Cordova has been on fire at this tournament for Venezuela. Very impressive for them to look so comfortable in beating Germany and Mexico. 

Also very nice of Vanuatu to score those 2 goals against Germany to allow Mexico to take 2nd place by 1 goal. Venezuela going all the way 

I have read some bitter comments from some Mexican fans saying that Venezuela did nothing but out-muscle them, but they have nice a balance of skill and grit, and it would be awesome to see them going all the way at this tournament. 

That's ridiculous. Venezuela completely outplayed them in every department. There were even a few nutmegs to just top it off.

People were fearing Venezuela's chances after the group stage draw, but it ended up being the easiest possible group for them as Mexico were awful as were Germany. No introduction is needed for Vanuatu.

England won 1-0 and topped the group. It was a quality game, a lot of counter attacking beginning with South Korea, then was looked for by England after their goal. I don't think South Korea were overly bothered with this match until the England goal when they realized they wanted top. 

Possible round of 16 matchups.

Mexico vs Senegal/USA/Saudi Arabia

England vs Portugal/Costa Rica/Iran

Venezuela is still too soon to tell as they take on one of the best third placed teams.

19 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

That's ridiculous. Venezuela completely outplayed them in every department. There were even a few nutmegs to just top it off.

People were fearing Venezuela's chances after the group stage draw, but it ended up being the easiest possible group for them as Mexico were awful as were Germany. No introduction is needed for Vanuatu.

Yeah agreed. The win for Venezuela was more comfortable than the scoreline suggested. 

That's the thing that irks be about a lot of Mexican media journalists, commentators and attitude of a lot of fans, delusions of grandeur, a very insular attitude, and a lot of disrespect towards other teams in CONCACAF or CONMEBOL that are not named Brazil or Argentina. 

I much prefer to read balanced articles from Tom Marshall, who is an English guy that moved to Guadalajara and covers Mexican football (I would love to have his job), than from many of the native Mexican journalists who are biased and simply don't have perspective. 

13 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

England won 1-0 and topped the group. It was a quality game, a lot of counter attacking beginning with South Korea, then was looked for by England after their goal. I don't think South Korea were overly bothered with this match until the England goal when they realized they wanted top. 

Possible round of 16 matchups.

Mexico vs Senegal/USA/Saudi Arabia

England vs Portugal/Costa Rica/Iran

Venezuela is still too soon to tell as they take on one of the best third placed teams.

My bad this is wrong.

South Korea will be the one playing one of Costa Rica/Portugal/Iran. Favourable opponents for them I'd say.

England will get the best third of group C/D/E, who I personally think will be Costa Rica/Italy/Honduras.

Venezuela will get what I think will be Argentina/Costa Rica/Italy. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah agreed. The win for Venezuela was more comfortable than the scoreline suggested. 

That's thing that irks be about a lot of Mexican media journalists, commentators and attitude of a lot of fans, delusions of grandeur, a very insular attitude, and a lot of disrespect towards other teams in CONCACAF or CONMEBOL that are not named Brazil or Argentina. 

I much prefer to read balanced articles from Tom Marshall, who is an English guy that moved to Guadalajara and covers Mexican football, than from many of the Mexican journalists who are biased and simply don't have perspective. 

I also read Tom Marshall. He's class. I also enjoy Nayib Moran and Cesar Hernandez. Poor Nayib, dreading having said that Santos Laguna would win the Liga MX haha.

The thing with Mexico is that they aren't a big footballing nation and it shows in their mentality. I said in the other thread that they are the "king of irrelevant cups" and I say that because they always hype up U17 World Cup, Gold Cup or Confederation Cup wins which all 3 aren't really that relevant. The U17 World Cup most players are still not professional, Gold Cup only gives you the status of best team in a relatively poor continent anyways, and what are the champions of the confederations cup supposed to be? Hyping up these wins just shows that they are a small footballing nation. Argentina and Brazil would win it and simply move on but they'd rather talk about their world cups and Copa America's. Granted, I'm from a small footballing nation myself and we'd do the same if we won the confederations cup. Some people still like to talk about our U15 South American win in 2013 but how many of those players are even in the U20 squad now anyways? In our defence, we do talk more about our 2 Copa America wins but I'm not denying that if we were to win the confederations cup, we would also hype it up like they do. 

I love the Liga MX and I even like some of the Mexican players but I can't say the same for the NT as there is none that are more arrogant than them. Not even Brazilians or the English.

46 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I also read Tom Marshall. He's class. I also enjoy Nayib Moran and Cesar Hernandez. Poor Nayib, dreading having said that Santos Laguna would win the Liga MX haha.

The thing with Mexico is that they aren't a big footballing nation and it shows in their mentality. I said in the other thread that they are the "king of irrelevant cups" and I say that because they always hype up U17 World Cup, Gold Cup or Confederation Cup wins which all 3 aren't really that relevant. The U17 World Cup most players are still not professional, Gold Cup only gives you the status of best team in a relatively poor continent anyways, and what are the champions of the confederations cup supposed to be? Hyping up these wins just shows that they are a small footballing nation. Argentina and Brazil would win it and simply move on but they'd rather talk about their world cups and Copa America's. Granted, I'm from a small footballing nation myself and we'd do the same if we won the confederations cup. Some people still like to talk about our U15 South American win in 2013 but how many of those players are even in the U20 squad now anyways? In our defence, we do talk more about our 2 Copa America wins but I'm not denying that if we were to win the confederations cup, we would also hype it up like they do. 

I love the Liga MX and I even like some of the Mexican players but I can't say the same for the NT as there is none that are more arrogant than them. Not even Brazilians or the English.

Agreed, and as I said before, it's the very insular attitude which holds Mexican football back. 

There is far too much hype and obsession about being the top dogs in CONCACAF, but that is like being the tallest midget. And given that Mexico is a football mad country of 120 million people with one of the wealthiest federations in the world . (Mexican football is literally swimming in money from TV stations and sponsors) they've even struggled a lot to do that. They failed to finish top in any of the last 4 World Cup qualification hex groups for the 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014 tournaments (although they should finally do it this time). And for example they don't even have a winning record against Honduras in competitive matches in the 21st century; it's played 13, won 5, lost 5 (with a defeat at Estadio Azteca) and drawn 3. That was a losing record until they finally picked up their first away win in Honduras for 22 years in 2015. 

As I said on another thread, no fair minded Mexican should be smug about winning the 2015 Gold Cup, when their victory over Panama was daylight robbery and a gift from the referees. I mean they couldn't fairly beat Panama, a team from a country of 4 million people where historically football hasn't even been one of the 3 most popular sports (although it's now gaining ground on baseball, basketball and boxing). None of the Mexican fans I know in person took any joy from that title. 

Of course the fact there is also way too much politics involved in the FMF decision making. Sven Goran Eriksson was shocked when he realised just how much power the owners of the Liga MX clubs had over the NT. They are a superb federation and generating money both in Mexico and the USA where they are a bigger draw than the US NT, but they are terrible at running the NT. For example everyone knows that they need to play more friendlies in Europe away to quality European teams, but they prefer to play Ecuador and New Zealand over and over again in the USA. To be fair they can still sell out huge NFL stadiums for those friendlies, it shows how passionate the US based Mexican fans are. 

• Subscriber

Love hearing good reports about Dowell, Kenny, Lookman. Good to have quality young players coming through having just won the U23s Premier League, and a bonus that they're English too.

Slightly less glowing reports for Calvert-Lewin, I've said elsewhere that I'm not sold on him and am surprised that he was handed a five year contract extension but this is the under 20s, plenty of time to prove me wrong.

And Copa America, and U20 World Cup, and the Libertadores.

And the Peruvian win against Brazil was historic. Whether you like it or not.

With every word you prove more and more why Mexico doesn't get better. Inflated egos.

Yes exactly. I would clarify that I don't consider Gold Cup or Confederations Cup titles to be meaningless tournaments (though I think the Confed Cup is far more important now than it was when it was held every 2 years), they are credible international trophies. And teams like Panama and some of the Caribbean teams like Jamaica have improved in CONACAF that's for sure, which has been nice to see.  

But yeah that basically sums up what is wrong with the Mexican football. Far too content with gloating about being the big daddies in CONCACAF lording it over comparatively tiny nations with incredibly limited resources, and qualifying for World Cups, neither of which are achievements for Mexico they are expected and are the bare minimum. And of top of that not willing to see what can be done to take the next step and progress. That would be like Barcelona being smug about always qualifying for the Champions League and achieving more than Villarreal, when it would be a disgrace if they didn't. 

I will repeat, this is a football mad country with a strong, entertaining league, a population of over 120 million people and a one of the wealthiest federations in the world. With those factors Mexico should be one of the strongest teams in the world and a genuine football superpower, and at least in the 2nd tier of teams behind the likes of Germany, Spain and Brazil.

It is very poor that they haven't reached a World Cup quarter-final outside home soil. Both Costa Rica (topping a group with Uruguay, Italy and England) and USA (beating Portugal and Mexico en-route) have reached the 5th game at a World Cup in the 21st century, while Mexico haven't done it since 1986 when they were hosts. Mexico at World Cups = Arsenal in the Champions League this decade. Qualifying and getting out of the group but not being able to topple the big guns in the knockout rounds, and far too content with achieving the bare minimum. And they still shouldn't be struggling so much against the likes of Panama and Honduras in CONCACAF. 

I love Mexican football and find it absolutely fascinating. I want the team to do well, but it is important to be realistic and assess where they truly are, and the factors which are holding the NT back. Similar to England, a strong and wealthy domestic league unfortunately hinders the NT and the development of young players.   

Here is for me the best player on each team (of the ones I can name, Sorry Vietnam)

South Korea - Lee Seung Woo (FC Barcelona)

England - Jonjoe Kenny (Everton)

Argentina - Exequiel Palacios (River Plate)

Guinea - Jules Keita (SC Bastia)

Venezuela - Adalberto Peñaranda (Watford)

Vanuatu - Bong Kalo (Tafea)

Mexico - Uriel Antuna (Santos Laguna)

Zambia - Patson Daka (FC Liefering)

Iran - Omid Nooftkaran (Esteghlal)

Japan - Takefusa Kubo (FC Tokyo)

Uruguay - Santiago Bueno (FC Barcelona)

New Zealand - Myer Bevan (Vancouver Whitecaps)

Ecuador - Bryan Cabezas (Atalanta)

USA - Josh Sargent (Scott Gallagher Missouri)

France - Jean Kevin Agustin

Nations Ieft out  Vietnam, Italy, Honduras, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Africa, Costa Rica, Portugual and Germany.

The only 2 controversial decisions in there are Nooftkaran over Shekari and Bueno over Schiappacasse. Personally I think Bueno has been a rock in the defence and definitely support Mele especially in the Japan game, although that said he was also good against Italy. 0 goals conceded for Los Charruas. A mix of good keeping and good defending. Nooftkaran on the other hand, is a better choice than Shekari. Shekari has been class up front but Iran has sat back for most of the tournament so while I think the Rostov man has been one of the best, he's not been as present as the backline and holding midfielders. I've been impressed with Omid, been a good player for Iran.

Couldn't get up for the 3 AM matches. Bugger.

Costa Rica 1-0 Zambia

Portugal 2-1 Iran

The first match in the knockouts has been decided and it will be South Korea vs Portugal.

Zambia will face third in group A/B/F, which will be Argentina/Germany and I think third in group F will be Saudi Arabia.

Costa Rica will take on England or Venezuela.

Italy are 2-0 up early against Japan. 

Japan is on the brink of elimination and will more than likely need a draw at least to go through.

If Uruguay and Italy both win then one of the next round matchups will be France vs Italy.

All assuming France win tomorrow against NZ which they should.

Japan pushing now while Italy countering. Its looking more likely or a Japan second but you never know.

Giuseppe Pezzella is a Naples born man. Bring him in Sarri!

• Administrator
12 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Nations Ieft out - France, Vietnam, Italy, Honduras, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, South Africa, Costa Rica, Portugual and Germany.

Jean-Kevin Augustin impressed me the other day. So comfortable on the ball and great finisher. 

Just now, Stan said:

Jean-Kevin Augustin impressed me the other day. So comfortable on the ball and great finisher. 

I am familiar with the French team but I have yet to see them in this tournament. I'll add him to the list. Issa Diop any good?

• Administrator

don't know if anyone posted this yesterday but Penaranda. Just wow. How much confidence can you have as a kid, on the national stage?! 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

don't know if anyone posted this yesterday but Penaranda. Just wow. How much confidence can you have as a kid, on the national stage?! 

I posted it. Keep up mate :P

Superb first touch. Makes me want to call him Zidanranda.

End of the first half. 

Italy 2-1 Japan

South Africa 0-0 Uruguay

Uruguay topping the group as it stands.

I'm impressed with Orsolini and Giuseppe Pezzella. Orsolini has been difficult to stop on the ball and doing a good job to cut in and shoot. He of course got the first goal of the match. He's currently on loan at Ascoli but is a Juve man. Giuseppe Pezzella has done a good job going forward. Still some work needed defensively but even there he's not been too bad. As I mentioned, he's a Naples born man but is currently playing for Palermo.

If it stays like this we will likely see Italy vs France and Uruguay vs Germany or what I think will be Honduras/Saudi Arabia.

Archived