talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

U20 World Cup 2017; ENGLAND ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Seung Woo is on another level. Every time he gets the ball he sees a good spot to pick out a pass, he's quick and he's running rings around the Portugal defence. Unfortunately, these forwards need to spend less time offside.

Portugal score again and its 2-0. That was 2 from their first 2 shots of the game. This time its Bruno Costa. Well impressed by the Portuguese up front but still look shaky at the back.

Here are the goals

Xadas (1-0)

Bruno Costa (2-0)

SK 2-0 down at the half and Portugal were arguably denied a penalty at the very end that could have ended up being 3-0.

Both teams are poor at the back so I can't see either team win this tournament. I think Venezuela and Uruguay have a good road to the semi's. Both teams are dangerous up front but a good defence like the 2 South American teams can definitely stop them.

Lee Seung-Woo showing his quality here but he's struggling to play on his own. 

I must say it bothers me when the commentator says things like "Lee will take the free kick" there's a ton of players named Lee on the pitch. Read their surnames. Its like if Senegal had 3 players with the surname "Diop" and they just say Diop instead of their first name to add onto that.

Xadas makes it 3-0. The finish was great and he did well to get past the SK defence but I do wonder why the Koreans just put their hands up in the air instead of attempting to tackle. Seemed a bit scared to concede a penalty. 

Here is the goal.

Shame South Korea have gone out as they chose the worst time to have their off day, but youth level isn't all about winning. This tournament is more of an individual competition to sell yourself to other clubs or win yourself a place in your current club. Lee Seung-Woo in particular proved that and while he could have done more by going further, its been a good competition from him including today.

Portugal and Venezuela the 2 sides off to the quarters. Portugal will take on Uruguay/Saudi Arabia while Venezuela will take on USA/New Zealand. I'd say Venezuela has a favourable opponent. Uruguay will have it difficult.

Tomorrows matches

Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia

England vs Costa Rica

Zambia vs Germany

Uruguay should win, but I don't think it will be earth shattering if they don't. Saudi Arabia are good. Lots of flair and creativity in the middle, good and quick on the counter and good on set pieces. I think it will be another contested game. England should also win but I find it hard to trust them in tournaments. Even in youth, it seems like they are very prone to losing to smaller teams like they almost did with Guinea and they did with Iceland at the euros. Again, they will be the favourites tomorrow but it won't be earth shattering if they lose. I have no interest in the Zambia vs Germany game. I see a Zambia win there.

I did a podcast on my Group XI with my co-host. Here is Scouted Football's Xi

I had a very different lineup

Mele(URU)

Kenny(ENG) – Bueno(URU) –Aghasi(IRA)– Pezzella(ITA)

Nooftkaran(IRA) – Herrera(VEN)

Lee Seung Woo(SK) – Kubo (JAP) – Peñaranda (VEN)

Cordova (VEN)

Santiago Bueno has been the best player on the pitch so far. Positioned well, waiting to intercept at any opportunity, intelligent ways to win the ball back such as winning himself an offensive foul call on the opposition. Saudi Arabia struggling to get past him.

Uruguay need to put one of these opportunities away though. Saudi Arabia are dangerous on the counter.

Penalty and 1-0!

Clear handball in the box and the penalty is given. Nico De La Cruz scores it and puts Uruguay in the lead.

Uruguay get a deserved win and the score tells the whole story. In the first half, Los Charruas missed a lot of chances. Second half nothing was created from either side and was a lot of fouling rather. Either way, 4 goals scored and none conceded. In a similar situation to Venezuela and both sides have been very good. My player of the match was between Fede Valverde and Santiago Bueno.

2 games about to get underway. England vs Costa Rica and Zambia vs Germany.

I will be watching the England game.

Archived