talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - 2016/17 season archive

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

When City play like this they are the best in the league. So much attacking talent. 

If they sort their defence and keeper in the summer then they'll take some stopping. 

We only seem to play like this when Kompany is in the team, without him we are all over at the back

4 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Having been to the community shield between Arsenal and Chelsea I have to say there is absolutely no rivalry whatsoever. Maybe a bit of "office bants" but nothing which effects the players.

If Spurs are at a disadvantage it must be because they themselves have wound up everyone around them. Perhaps because they have stepped outside of their box and the others are jealous of the new world order.

I can't remember what season now but probably one of the most lively and intense game in terms of rivalry I've experienced was Chelsea/Arsenal at Stamford Bridge and credit where it's due Arsenal fans were fantastic that day as well, it was one of the seasons where they got a flare in. I know a lot of Chelsea fans these days who actually hate Arsenal more than Spurs, (myself included in recent years) and I'm not trying to suggest the rivalry is as intense as some in this country but there's a good amount of hostility there definitely.

We've been lucky enough to have been to Wembley on many occasions over the years but for a mixture of reasons, Wembley doesn't bring out the best in Chelsea fans so much so that I've even felt disassociated with it, to the extent where I seriously think about not going to a semi final or final because I hate the environment and the atmosphere we create. I can imagine a Community Shield game would be even worse. Then again, you go to Chelsea/Tottenham last season and the atmosphere was unreal in Stamford Bridge that night and I can think of many London derbies over the years where it's been hostile, intense and a great atmosphere. Other Chelsea fans may disagree but for me Wembley has become a place that doesn't bring out the best in us, even despite the success we've had there in recent years. Oddly enough I've heard historically that St James's Park is another one as well for whatever reason.

Anyway, just because I feel a little defensive, here's a few:

Palace were poor today but weren't really allowed into the game, when City play like that they're tough to live with.

Stoke & Leicester both 1-0 up in a couple of dead rubbers.

• Subscriber

Awful. Just goes to show we need 7-8 new players this summer or we're nailed on 7th again next season. I'm not just exaggerating either just because we've lost a couple of games. Look at our line up today:

Stekelenburg - shite

Holgate - decent young player but not even a right back

Jagielka and Williams - aging and inconsistent

Baines - decent but not the player he was

Gueye - actually good

Barry - good for his age but still ancient

Mirallas - has one good game in five

Davies - great young prospect but not ready to be playing every week if we want to get into the top 6

Calvert-Lewin - don't want to bash a youngster but absolutely mystified as to what he's done to earn a five year contract

Lukaku - obviously not arsed now that he's probably got the golden boot and he'll be off this summer

• Administrator

easy win as expected. Watford were shite having nothing to play for. Off-field speculation about Mazzari/Deeney (or both) leaving. Manager and captain both distracted, no other leaders on the pitch. Shit form and tough fixtures coming up for them.

Stroll in the park for us, pretty much. 3-0 flattered Watford as it could have been much more. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived