talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - 2016/17 season archive

3 minutes ago, Cure said:

Williams is a burden for your defence. You should really look to replace him in the summer, maybe with Virgil van Dijk. After Southampton's fairly dull season I can't see him staying there and you'd be an excellent choice for him.

Every top team in the league is after him, can't see him choosing Everton to be honest. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank fuck I decided to miss today. That type of performance was always coming though, we've been terrible since we boxed off 7th. 

Whole back 4 needs serious investment as well as the keeper. 

Overall, a decent enough start for Koeman. 

• Subscriber

Our season is a success getting back up to 7th but it's not all that rosy. Even if we keep Barkley and Lukaku which is highly unlikely we still need a first choice goalkeeper, two first choice centre backs, a second choice left back, at least one attacking midfielder and at least one more striker, as well as players to replace Ross and Rom if they do leave. Otherwise no hope of finishing any higher next season unless one of the top six has a mare season. 

I'm very happy to see Liverpool qualifying for the Champions League. I do think that they are going in the right direction under Klopp, but they needed this (i.e. something tangible) to show for it. This will definitely help them with trying to land their first choice transfer targets in the summer as well. 

Chelsea's achievement of becoming the first team to win 30 league matches in a 38 game season (or for 38 years since Liverpool did it in a 42 game season in 1979) is incredible. An outstanding first season in English football for Conte. 

Spurs have been a joy to watch this season. 86 points and 86 goals is an excellent return. 

40 minutes ago, adziom said:

Our season is a success getting back up to 7th but it's not all that rosy. Even if we keep Barkley and Lukaku which is highly unlikely we still need a first choice goalkeeper, two first choice centre backs, a second choice left back, at least one attacking midfielder and at least one more striker, as well as players to replace Ross and Rom if they do leave. Otherwise no hope of finishing any higher next season unless one of the top six has a mare season. 

If Everton do sell Lukaku and Barkley the funds will definetely be there to fuel a renaissance.

Here's what I'd do. Sticking to your scope.

In goal if David De Gea does leave for Real Madrid in the summer Keylor Navas would be an ideal choice for goal. As starting centre-backs Juan Bernat and potentially Virgil Van Dijk could be suitable choices. Bernat in particular would be relatively cost-effective and is reliable. Van Dijk could be snapped up elsewhere so either Danny Rose or Nicolas Nkoulou would be great signings. Terence Kongolo played beautifully for Feyenoord in their title-winning season in the Eredivise and could slowly be eased in to replace the aging Baines. An attacking midfielder who's still going strong is Kevin-Prince Boateng and another potential player I'd consider for the position is Ryad Boudebouz. To finish a strong and dependable replacement for Lukaku would be an absolute must. Considering his impressive run for Celta this season Iago Aspas would be one I'd consider with the back-up choices for the position being Jimmy Briand of Guingamp and Florian Thauvin of Marseille.

I was a bag of nerves. Seemed to be one of those days until Gini scored. He is so underrated. Been a top signing. 

It's been a decent season. We have the weakest squad in the top 6, and injuries didn't help. Now, Klopp has build on this. 

PS: The new kit looks gorgeous.

• Subscriber

Knew we wouldn't win. Hate playing Bournemouth. Always seem to get something off us.

12th is disappointing given a win would've put us 9th, above where Chelsea came last year, so not winning has officially made us the worst PL champions.

We dominated the second half, Bournemouth dominated the first, a point is about fair although I thought we looked more like scoring.

We're at a crossroads now. It's not ended well for Shakespeare yet I do believe he above anyone will know what needs fixing.

If it isn't Shakespeare I'd like to see us go for Roger Schmidt.

EDIT: Also got to add I don't put this last three games straight on Shakespeare. I can't blame him for our lack of squad depth.

Good game today, never really much more than a friendly. The record is set and Bats getting a brace is also nice. Title celebrations and Terry moving on mixed emotions all round. Best captain we could ever wished for, always hoped he would retire at Chelsea but it was not meant to be. All the best in your future JT it was an honor.

• Administrator

amazingly we didn't get the Premier League's worst defeat of the season. Cheers Hull xD 

disappointed with some of the players today. had a chance to end a topsy-turvy with 3 points but could only salvage a draw. Conceding in the first 2 minutes doesn't bode well for any game usually.

A summer to regroup, in which we'll probably lose a few key players but if they don't want to be here, so be it. Mahrez, as much as I'd love to keep him, has looked like he doesn't want to be here and has already made his mind up probably about looking for a move. Sadly don't think Kasper will be here either.

Was nice to give a good send-off to Wasilewski though. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

amazingly we didn't get the Premier League's worst defeat of the season. Cheers Hull xD 

disappointed with some of the players today. had a chance to end a topsy-turvy with 3 points but could only salvage a draw. Conceding in the first 2 minutes doesn't bode well for any game usually.

A summer to regroup, in which we'll probably lose a few key players but if they don't want to be here, so be it. Mahrez, as much as I'd love to keep him, has looked like he doesn't want to be here and has already made his mind up probably about looking for a move. Sadly don't think Kasper will be here either.

Was nice to give a good send-off to Wasilewski though. 

Third time this season we've been behind within a minute. Absolutely pathetic. What on earth we were doing I have no idea.

I thought Bournemouth played some very nice stuff in the first half an hour but other than that we were on top. Slimani didn't play particularly well but at the same time I thought he was unlucky to not score, came close three times.

Legit goal ruled out for us too as well. We've had some pretty shoddy luck with officials lately.

Mad to think it's probably the last time we've ever seen Riyad Mahrez or Kasper Schmeichel in Leicester shirts.

Big summer ahead for Leicester, if they lose their key men and don't replace and appoint a suitable manager theyll be in a relegation scrap.

Out of everyone, Schmeichel will be the one they miss the most. Top keeper.

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I was a bag of nerves. Seemed to be one of those days until Gini scored. He is so underrated. Been a top signing. 

It's been a decent season. We have the weakest squad in the top 6, and injuries didn't help. Now, Klopp has build on this. 

PS: The new kit looks gorgeous.

I agree there is building to be done and I don't think it will take as much of a massive overhaul as the pundits suggest. We faltered a lot at the start of January and never truly recovered from it until too late and we could blame all the injuries but its taught Jurgen the valuable lesson of squad depth which we're going to need next season anyways now. All in all I am happy with where we got this season, I'd have been happier if we were higher but at one point even this seemed a little hard.

I like our new kit as well its simple and a thing of beauty.

• The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived