talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - 2016/17 season archive

• Subscriber

We're getting absolutely twatted in midfield here. See what he was trying playing Barry to have an extra man in the middle but might have been better playing Schneiderlin, Gueye, Davies and Barkley in those positions with Lookman or Mirallas playing more advanced where Ross is currently playing. Barry is too slow to deal with all these Spurs midfielders buzzing around him.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Not to detract from the match at hand but that cross onto Llorente's head yesterday must go down as cross of the season and the finish was perfect too, although he really had everything put in front of him and it just needed a touch.

• Subscriber

We've been second best here but through a combination of resilience and luck we're still in the game at 1-0. Ideally I'd like to see Barry off for Lookman at half time, or possible Mirallas. Lukaku needs more support as we can't expect him to single-handedly get the better of Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Dier.

In terms of the difference between the sides, I've noticed how much of a difference it makes Spurs having two centre halves with a bit more pace and a bit more ability to play the ball quickly and accurately than we have. Baines is a class act but he's looked badly exposed at times up against Walker, especially without a winger in front of him to support by tracking back. I think if we're to get to the next level and compete with the top six on merit, we have to look at Joel, Baines and our centre halves as players from this starting line up that aren't quite going to cut it.

• Subscriber

Yeah I think it's clear we didn't get the goalkeeper we needed during the summer - I just hope we aren't shy about looking for an upgrade on the likes of Baines though as he used to be one the best full backs in the league and he's still good enough for us to outclass teams outside the top six with him in the side but if you're not moving forward you're moving backward...

• Administrator

Everton are too one-dimensional today. It's Lukaku vs Alderweireld & Vertonghen, and at times paced up agaisnt Walker. 

And Kane makes it 2-0. 

On the Barry thing, not as bad as Stoke last week who were playing Charlie Adam and Whelan in midfield against Spurs but in fairness I guess Hughes has little other alternatives in that position. 

Spurs really do dominate teams at home, Matic and more notably Kante were bullied there at WHL.

• Subscriber

What the absolute fuck was that? RK has disappointed me not making any changes at half time here. Why we're expecting the likes of Williams and Barry to be able to play the ball out effectively against a team that presses as quickly as Tottenham is inexplicable, we've shat the bed tactically today and it's almost impossible to come back and get anything out of this now.

• Subscriber

Lukaku scores against Spurs for the first time in 8 appearances - Vertonghen really knows how to deal with him -_-

He also becomes Everton's top Premier League goalscorer with 61 goals having previously been joint with Duncan Ferguson on 60.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Imagine if we get a point from this xD. Clinical from Romelu as always though, as soon as he's one on one with the goalkeeper we're going to go a goal up. He's the striker that we've always needed and him signing a contract extension would be as good as a new signing. 

i wouldn't even call it a jammy point - i'd put it more down to Spurs inability to kill a game off or see out a game. 

• Subscriber

A pretty poor performance for us but still a frustrating result. Like I said before, only one team would have been good value for the three points and that's not us, but still frustrating because for all Tottenham's dominance, all three of their goals could have been prevented by competent defending and decision making. The goals we conceded in the second half just go to underline what I said at half time - Williams, Joel, Mori and Barry are all players who are good to have in the side against the rest of the league but they just won't cut it against the top six and we need to get some real quality in that part of the pitch before we can think about challenging for the top 4.

In terms of positives, I thought Barkley was one of the few who looked good on the ball and actually looked like he could make something happen if he wasn't having to do it all himself. Lukaku had a mixed performance because while he had no real service, a striker who wants to be world class still needs to make things happen for himself in games like this. Still though, he took his chance when he got it which is a sign of a quality centre forward. A difficult game for Tom Davies who struggled to have an impact on the game but this is all part of his learning curve.

I actually forgot about McCarthy before the game but I don't see why if Koeman was going to play the shape he did, he couldn't have played him from the start instead of Barry after what happened to Gareth against Chelsea's rampant midfield earlier in the season.

Overall, we need to make sure we bounce back strong from this because the fixtures we have coming up could see us have a poor end to the season now that finishing higher than 7th looks to be a big ask. We had a great run of form at the start of the season then one loss to Norwich in the League Cup seemed to knock our confidence for about two months - hopefully, that doesn't happen again.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, StanLCFC said:

just seen the Swansea vs Burnley referring debacle. Anthony Taylor has had a shocker with the Burnley penalty. Sam Vokes handballs it yet Taylor gives the penalty to Burnley xD. The referee wasn't even obstructed in his view!

Twice in a month a Vokes handball has given them an unfair advantage.

I respect Dyche as a manager but I don't know who he thinks he's kidding.

• Administrator

The amount of goals Lukaku and Kane have scored in the Premier League for their age is phenomenal. 78 and 68 respectively. 

Wonder how many other players have been that prolific in this league by that age.

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 15th-17th April 2017
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was featured
  • The topic was locked

Archived