talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Worst Signings in history

football forum

Shocked that I couldn't find a general thread about this...

Few ways to think about a terrible signing, whether it be a massive financial loss, trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, or just someone being a massive flop.

What are some of your biggest flops in football history?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll list a few that come to my head.

Pity Martinez at Atlanta. While we sold him for more than we bought him, he took up a valuable DP spot here and showed some moments, but a lot of stories and showings of bad attitude and average work ethic. In the big moments, he would disappear and was great and racking up stats against new and poor teams.

Fernando Torres (Liverpool to Chelsea) - This one hurts as I loved Torres at Atletico and at Liverpool, I even bought the Liverpool kit with his name on the back. But at Chelsea, he was just awful....

Andrey Shevchenko (AC Milan to Chelsea) - Shev was such a beast at Milan, and once he moved to London, he was worthless from what I remember.

Andy Carroll (Newcastle to Liverpool) - Carroll had his moments where he was lethal, but this felt forced by Liverpool and one that was to fail from the start, and the it did.

Mario Gotze (Dortmund to Bayern) - One word......Judas

Bastian Schweiteigejfgebnfjsskemdndchfbgger (Bayern to Manchester United) - You know who I mean. Likely the best name in football, and such an icon at Bayern, and I hated seeing him at another European team...Just gross

• Subscriber

Bolasie £27m, Walcott £25m and Tosun £28m are our top contenders but the way things are going, Iwobi £30m is coming up fast on the outside. Hang on, almost forgot Klaassen £20m and Sandro Ramirez too. Hopefully I'm wrong. I miss the days when signing Per Kroldrup for £5m was our go to infamous massive waste of money for about 10 years uninterrupted.

18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Christ, we win the league or Timo Werner gets the golden boot I think you’ll probably need some consolidating at this point. 

Nah, humble pie is an important meal, you're not a man til you can eat a full serve no wakkas. I do genuinely believe he won't fit the 50 mil price tag but I'm sure he won't be a worse signing than say
Shevchenko, Pizarro, Quaresma, Mutu, Falcao or Torres. 

Probably more on the Morata or Higuain level of failure. Quiet, reasonable failure rather than all time bad level ya know. 

7 hours ago, shut up said:

Rebrov, Pavlyuchenko, Lamela

Back then I was a kid and I remember well that I really  thought Rebrov was more impressive than Shevchenko in that Dynamo Kiev side. I was so wrong. xD

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Ali Dia to Southampton
Fernando Torres to Chelsea
Andy Carroll to Liverpool
Immobile to Dortmund
Soldado to Spurs 
Jo to Manchester city.
Carlos Alberto to Werder Bremen

If I recall correctly, he suffered from insomnia, isn´t it?

• Subscriber

Adrien Silva is one of the worst of all time for me, and that's for anyone, not just us.

We signed him on deadline day of the summer 2017 transfer window to replace the outgoing Drinkwater. Only we didn't. We bodged up getting it over the line by 14 seconds and he was left unable to play until January, through absolutely no fault of his own.

No shortage of irony, he was handed the number 14 shirt upon joining the club.

And even more no shortage of irony, in the three years here, he's made 14 appearances, on £4mil a year, 0 goals, 1 assist and barely a single moment of note, other than being loaned out twice to Monaco and once as a bargaining tool for bringing in Tielemans.

He also cost us about £23mil in a fee.

I don't even totally blame him but everything about it has been a catastrophe. One of the worst signings you'll see.

On a side note I think Kepa's the pound for pound worst signing in the history of football.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Nah no chance. Torres, Carroll, Tevez to Shanghai. Kepa is still a premier league level player. 

Seventy something million and his 2019/20 season was stastically the worst season a goalkeeper has ever had in the Premier League.

Archived