talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton 1-3 Chelsea - Monday 14th September, 2020

football forum

Chelsea now sell a ticket at 50 pound on average...why is that? Because tourists who think football is an event an experience.

It is bullshit. Football is the best game in the world because it is so accessible and for everyone. Fuck off glory hunters hiking up the price and ruining it for locals. How many Anfield lads in Anfield nowadays?

im fighting a lost battle. It’s dead and has been for a while. Yanks everywhere...disgusting. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Football clubs are communities formed by the working people of England. They are literally expressions of local identity. You cannot be a support from outside that area....

Who is stopping this expression? Nobody except yourself. Your mind is bound to the square patch of dirt you were birthed upon, have you tried experiencing other cultures outside of pretending to be working class? Or do you prefer to live within the narrow confines of what it is to be 'working class' allowing a predetermined set define you?

I caught the end of the game, some nufty post game was going on that "the Bundesliga may be intense end to end stuff, but nothing matches the intensity of the premier league"

In the last decade Premier league teams account for 4 of 20 Europa league finalists  (2 winners) and 5 of 20 Champions league finalists (2 winners) 
Do they believe this shit or is it just a marketing line that every English pundit has to learn? 

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

You can support the Sharks if you like, because unlike you, Australia is an inclusive place and I'd welcome anyone that showed an interest; I don't fear the foreigner or people that are different, which I can't say for people with prejudice like yourself.

Nah get fucked mate. The only reason to let in the rest of the world is if they open restaurants. 

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I caught the end of the game, some nufty post game was going on that "the Bundesliga may be intense end to end stuff, but nothing matches the intensity of the premier league"

In the last decade Premier league teams account for 4 of 20 Europa league finalists  (2 winners) and 5 of 20 Champions league finalists (2 winners) 
Do they believe this shit or is it just a marketing line that every English pundit has to learn? 

TBF, if you take the last 10 years, I doubt any league comes close to La Liga. 

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Chelsea now sell a ticket at 50 pound on average...why is that? Because tourists who think football is an event an experience.

It is bullshit. Football is the best game in the world because it is so accessible and for everyone. Fuck off glory hunters hiking up the price and ruining it for locals. How many Anfield lads in Anfield nowadays?

im fighting a lost battle. It’s dead and has been for a while. Yanks everywhere...disgusting. 

While you may not give a shit, there are NFL teams that are losing a home match every year because British people pay top dollar to have an NFL game in London. 

I think it's a result of globalization, not specific to any region or nation. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Go back to mocking people's facial appearance on the internet. You could do with another ban. 

According to The Artful Dipshit I should support my local team. My locality of where I am from doesn't have a team and the closest is further than the drive from London to Edinburgh. So under that technicality I can't watch this sport at all! xD I'm not from Chicago so I can't support Chicago Fire, well I am fucked, aren't I? May as well support the local A-grade rugby league team

Just now, Eco said:

While you may not give a shit, there are NFL teams that are losing a home match every year because British people pay top dollar to have an NFL game in London. 

I think it's a result of globalization, not specific to any region or nation. 

Equally awful.

I don’t get my points across that well at times. I’m not anti any nation, creed or religion. I just want football to retain what it is about. When you walk around Anfield, Old Trafford, Villa Park you know you’re in the community they represent. But do the anymore? These clubs were formed as part of these places but are they just a name now?

I dunno. This isn’t an anti immigrant thing because I believe anyone can be part of a community but it is sky/Fox News bullshit. So commercial and these clubs will end up playing in Saudi soon.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

According to The Artful Dipshit I should support my local team. My locality of where I am from doesn't have a team and the closest is further than the drive from London to Edinburgh. So under that technicality I can't watch this sport at all! xD I'm not from Chicago so I can't support Chicago Fire, well I am fucked, aren't I? May as well support the local A-grade rugby league team

God forbid you aren't good looking...

3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

If TAD thinks that supporting your grassroots club is important then power to him tbh. I don't think he should be attacking members about it but who cares if he has different values on football than others?

Nobody is disagreeing with him about that, he just lacks any sort of perception that circumstances are different for other people and his jingoistic nonsense is tiresome.

If i had a local team to support I would, but I don't, so I can't. In all sports I'd be limited to QLD Maroons. You think I'd choose a fucking English team over my hometown? No way.

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Only reason people like Cicero etc follow Chelsea is because when Roman took the rains. They wouldn't have looked twice otherwise.

I wouldn't even call myself a supporter, but can you tell me why I have a soft spot for them?

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I wouldn't even call myself a supporter, but can you tell me why I have a soft spot for them?

Probably because when Roman took over he outspent everyone and Chelsea started winning stuff id imagine. 

Why else would people from Australia and America support Chelsea?

Probably because when Roman took over he outspent everyone and Chelsea started winning stuff id imagine. 

Not really, I've mentioned it before on here but I suppose I shouldn't expect people to remember. Way back when I started getting interested in the sport, I knew two teams existed Real Madrid and Manchester United, and from my perspective I knew that United won everything all the time and they were the best, that was essentially all I knew of the sport, and that FIFA 98 was a fun game. This was before the A-league was really even televised, you have to realise Australia didn't have a professional league till 2004 and it didn't start getting much coverage for years. European 'soccer' was far easier to watch and see highlights of, and I remember seeing a team I'd never heard of beat Manchester United (from my knowledge an invincible team) and I saw Joe Cole score a solo goal on the morning sports news and I thought that was great. That's pretty much it, it just imprinted on my young mind, coulda been anyone really.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Not really, I've mentioned it before on here but I suppose I shouldn't expect people to remember. Way back when I started getting interested in the sport, I knew two teams existed Real Madrid and Manchester United, and from my perspective I knew that United won everything all the time and they were the best, that was essentially all I knew of the sport, and that FIFA 98 was a fun game. This was before the A-league was really even televised, you have to realise Australia didn't have a professional league till 2004 and it didn't start getting much coverage for years. European 'soccer' was far easier to watch and see highlights of, and I remember seeing a team I'd never heard of beat Manchester United (from my knowledge an invincible team) and I saw Joe Cole score a solo goal on the morning sports news and I thought that was great. That's pretty much it, it just imprinted on my young mind, coulda been anyone really.

Thats fair enough mate. I'm not having a go honestly I'm not. But I for instance was brought up literally in walking distance from Anfield. You cant possibly feal the same affiliation to a club from the other side of the world. 

Fair point made though mate!

Right; I’ve got carried away. @Spike some of my comments are bordering, if not straight up xenophobia and I don’t want to be a xenophobe because the next step is racism.

Im just bitter at how football is now. Old Trafford one of the most important stadiums in world football, how many lads from the estates by the ground go the game? Same with Anfield, really urban poverty round it. These clubs were built from and for a certain class but feels like they’ve been left behind. Football is all about sky tv now. It is like everything. Poor people made these clubs and are now priced out of them.

There are no fans at all how I suppose. They’re just names.

Thats fair enough mate. I'm not having a go honestly I'm not. But I for instance was brought up literally in walking distance from Anfield. You cant possibly feal the same affiliation to a club from the other side of the world. 

Fair point made though mate!

I don't pretend to and I've never said otherwise. I merely watch it from an enjoyment perspective, it's not like the sport is really relevant where I'm from, it's a curiosity not a way of life; I don't get mad when a team wins or loses, it's just something that happens. When I was a kid Sydney was as foreign to me as London, weird thing to say but both take over a day's travel to arrive. Since where I'm from is so remote and isolated, it's partially normal for people to support whatever team of whatever sport they like because it doesn't when it is all on the otherside of the world or country anyway.

I do remember watching the local rugby team play occasionally. But it is difficult to watch a team of people that you hate xD

17 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Equally awful.

I don’t get my points across that well at times. I’m not anti any nation, creed or religion. I just want football to retain what it is about. When you walk around Anfield, Old Trafford, Villa Park you know you’re in the community they represent. But do the anymore? These clubs were formed as part of these places but are they just a name now?

I dunno. This isn’t an anti immigrant thing because I believe anyone can be part of a community but it is sky/Fox News bullshit. So commercial and these clubs will end up playing in Saudi soon.

I understand what you are saying, I really do. 

I don't think you should attack, or hell, even worry about other members on the forum and who they support, but it doesn't mean I don't understand where you are coming from. 

One of the most popular teams in America are the Green Bay Packers. The population of Green Bay, Wisconsin is just over 100 thousand people, but people from all over the country love the team for either their history, their colors, their image, their style of play, etc... Doesn't make it wrong, but I'd could see where if you are from Green Bay, you can have a slightly negative view of these 'outsiders', as they aren't part of that cherished community. 

15 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

If TAD thinks that supporting your grassroots club is important then power to him tbh. I don't think he should be attacking members about it but who cares if he has different values on football than others?

This is exactly the point.. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why else would people from Australia and America support Chelsea?

I'd argue you this with you. Many Americans visit London, and certainly Roman's investment brought about a new slew of fans from across the world. 

I have made this argument a 100 times though, and that is my buddy @DeadLinesman, who is a serious Minnesota Vikings fans. When you fall in love with a sport that isn't popular in your area, I think it's very common now to look at the countries where it is popular and find yourself aligned to a team. Before Atlanta United, I had no one locally except for a small team that had trouble paying their bills. Yes it was soccer, but it was at such a level that even that was under questioned. So I traveled to Europe, and loved the sport in different countries for different reasons, which is why in each country there is a team that I 'support'. It's just the common way of things and I'm not sure it undervalues or impacts you whatsoever, and @Cicero is a class guy and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if he had fallen in love with Liverpool, you wouldn't have a problem with him being an American. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived