talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Brighton 1-3 Chelsea - Monday 14th September, 2020

football forum

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't pretend to and I've never said otherwise. I merely watch it from an enjoyment perspective, it's not like the sport is really relevant where I'm from, it's a curiosity not a way of life; I don't get mad when a team wins or loses, it's just something that happens. When I was a kid Sydney was as foreign to me as London, weird thing to say but both take over a day's travel to arrive. Since where I'm from is so remote and isolated, it's partially normal for people to support whatever team of whatever sport they like because it doesn't when it is all on the otherside of the world or country anyway.

I do remember watching the local rugby team play occasionally. But it is difficult to watch a team of people that you hate xD

Fair play mate 👏 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Right; I’ve got carried away. @Spike some of my comments are bordering, if not straight up xenophobia and I don’t want to be a xenophobe because the next step is racism.

Im just bitter at how football is now. Old Trafford one of the most important stadiums in world football, how many lads from the estates by the ground go the game? Same with Anfield, really urban poverty round it. These clubs were built from and for a certain class but feels like they’ve been left behind. Football is all about sky tv now. It is like everything. Poor people made these clubs and are now priced out of them.

There are no fans at all how I suppose. They’re just names.

That's fine, and I've never disagreed with you about that. But you can't act like I'm the bloke driving up ticket prices or going to games instead of the locals, it isn't even the tourists fault. Somewhere along the line the FA and the constituent mega-clubs made a decision to sell it as a product, and those are the people you should be cross with.

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Right; I’ve got carried away. @Spike some of my comments are bordering, if not straight up xenophobia and I don’t want to be a xenophobe because the next step is racism.

Im just bitter at how football is now. Old Trafford one of the most important stadiums in world football, how many lads from the estates by the ground go the game? Same with Anfield, really urban poverty round it. These clubs were built from and for a certain class but feels like they’ve been left behind. Football is all about sky tv now. It is like everything. Poor people made these clubs and are now priced out of them.

There are no fans at all how I suppose. They’re just names.

I have heard this about OT and Chelsea, that the fans are so quiet because in reality there aren't fans...just suits looking at entertainment. Fucking awful. 

If you replace one of those suits with @Cicero at a Chelsea match, then the world and sport would be a better place for it. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I understand what you are saying, I really do. 

I don't think you should attack, or hell, even worry about other members on the forum and who they support, but it doesn't mean I don't understand where you are coming from. 

One of the most popular teams in America are the Green Bay Packers. The population of Green Bay, Wisconsin is just over 100 thousand people, but people from all over the country love the team for either their history, their colors, their image, their style of play, etc... Doesn't make it wrong, but I'd could see where if you are from Green Bay, you can have a slightly negative view of these 'outsiders', as they aren't part of that cherished community. 

This is exactly the point.. 

I'd argue you this with you. Many Americans visit London, and certainly Roman's investment brought about a new slew of fans from across the world. 

I have made this argument a 100 times though, and that is my buddy @DeadLinesman, who is a serious Minnesota Vikings fans. When you fall in love with a sport that isn't popular in your area, I think it's very common now to look at the countries where it is popular and find yourself aligned to a team. Before Atlanta United, I had no one locally except for a small team that had trouble paying their bills. Yes it was soccer, but it was at such a level that even that was under questioned. So I traveled to Europe, and loved the sport in different countries for different reasons, which is why in each country there is a team that I 'support'. It's just the common way of things and I'm not sure it undervalues or impacts you whatsoever, and @Cicero is a class guy and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if he had fallen in love with Liverpool, you wouldn't have a problem with him being an American. 

Great Post but for the record, I dont have a problem with him being American. I actually think he's a class member of the forum and fairly knowledgeable to go with it. 

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

That's fine, and I've never disagreed with you about that. But you can't act like I'm the bloke driving up ticket prices or going to games instead of the locals, it isn't even the tourists fault. Somewhere along the line the FA and the constituent mega-clubs made a decision to sell it as a product, and those are the people you should be cross with.

I think when clubs decided to focus more on business suites and group packages for businesses, the stadiums slowly became a tourist stop. 

People who join an online forum and dedicate hours of their life to discussing this sport, are NOT those types of people. 

I already regret nearly all of what I’ve said. Nobody should be made bad for supporting a football club, I’m hankering after a world that never really existed and if it l was in purely social terms I’d be basically a fascist!

Reece James goal was class, I still don’t like Lampard very much but I think you’ll be very close to the title if not champions.

@The Artful Dodger

I will say this, I have watched documentaries on Chelsea, the Headhunters, and I have read the history of the club; and it does make me uncomfortable knowing about the racist fans of the past. I do know players like Speedie, Nevin, Osgood, Harris, Dixon, etc. I don't pretend to be a mega-fan or a huge supporter, more a of a guy with a soft spot because I saw them when I was an impressionable youngster. I could easily 'like' another team but I guess I'm the loyal type that just stays with what he starts with. Hell, I didn't even know billionaires buying players was a thing. Same thing with rugby, I liked the Sydney Roosters as a kid because I thought Brad Fitler was a great player, don't really care for them any more and I wouldn't call myself a fan but I do still have a soft spot for them, I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

I think when clubs decided to focus more on business suites and group packages for businesses, the stadiums slowly became a tourist stop. 

People who join an online forum and dedicate hours of their life to discussing this sport, are NOT those types of people. 

It is easy to project your own feelings onto others on forums and then attack them for it.

🤷

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

I have heard this about OT and Chelsea, that the fans are so quiet because in reality there aren't fans...just suits looking at entertainment. Fucking awful. 

If you replace one of those suits with @Cicero at a Chelsea match, then the world and sport would be a better place for it. 

I wouldn't take what you read on social media or on here with any seriousness mate.

I cringe at some of the shit Chelsea fans do be it when I'm at the game or when I see videos pop up here and there and I don't want to be associated with it and that's not even mentioning the racit stuff that's occured over the years. I will however say we're one of the better sets of supporters in the country for following the team, numbers, noise whatever throughout the history of football in this country. Every club has their poor periods in this aspect but we're definitely one of the better groups, even before Abramovich. 

🙂

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Dreadful display from us yet we managed 3 points. Complete contrast to last season as if we played like shit, we lost. Lack of cohesion and off the pace for the most part. On top of that, Reuben Loftus-Cheek did his absolute best to ruin any attack we managed.

Defence looked good surprisingly so credit to them. We started off as a 4231 but slowly grew into a 4-4-2 towards the end. I wonder if that is Lampard's intentions this season. 

@carefreeluke Thoughts on Ruben? 

Injury looks to have killed him. He's probably our worst option at the moment in midfield, stark contrast to what he was before.

We were very pretty poor most of the game I thought but it did have the feel of a glorified friendly about it due to lack of match fitness and preperation. 

Werner I thought was relatively fantastic.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

I think being put in a position having to explain yourself and your personal history to people on an Internet forum who you’ve never met and will probably never meet is just borderline Phil's bald head. 

Excuse my language. 

Better that than continuing on in the same vein ad nauseum

Ignoring all the previous dribble and focussing on the game, I thought that was a 6/10 from Chelsea tonight and they still won.

Werner looked bright for his debut. Always on his toes.

Couldn't say the same for Havertz. I know Loftus Cheek had an absolute 'mare and got panned for it but I didn't think Havertz was significantly better.

He seemed to struggle, really poor touch as well, seemed to be playing the game in slow motion but as a new player he will obviously get a bye.

I thought Chelsea missed Pulisic tonight. They really seemed to struggle to open up Brighton and bar two set piece goals and a Reece James special, I don't remember much being created.

Funny how football works really.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've felt that so many times about Brighton when I watch them play.

Are they just really unlucky? Or are we right that the scoreline doesn't reflect their efforts... but it does reflect their quality?

It's hard to say because I don't think Brighton are "bad"... but it's got to say something that a side that often looks like they're incredibly unlucky to not get results based on the way they've played... continue to have matches where the scoreline doesn't reflect their efforts.

This has got to be what Chelsea fans want to see when they've not necessarily been comfortably better than the other side though... having a scoreline that reflects you are comfortably better. Considering all the new changes to the squad and a shortened pre-season due to covid... this could realistically be the most disjoint Chelsea look all season.

In both boxes they're not good enough. Everywhere else they're a good team. That's costly.

I like that Bissouma I do.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I caught the end of the game, some nufty post game was going on that "the Bundesliga may be intense end to end stuff, but nothing matches the intensity of the premier league"

In the last decade Premier league teams account for 4 of 20 Europa league finalists  (2 winners) and 5 of 20 Champions league finalists (2 winners) 
Do they believe this shit or is it just a marketing line that every English pundit has to learn? 

Honestly, it makes me resent it. It's gotten worse in recent years as well I think. Sky in particular clinging on to their 'big six' because they've lost the rights to all other football.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

What were Brighton like? We've got them next at home. 

16 minutes ago, Rick said:

Pretty good. The score line very much flattered Chelsea

15 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Pretty hard working actually, they were in control of the game for large parts just couldn't convert that into goals though.... 

Good for the draw I thought.

I think @Dan mentioned it earlier. They're not particularly outstanding at the back or when attacking, but in between that they're pretty competent (barring the mistake yesterday). They deserved the equaliser then thought that was the job done, forgetting there's still about half an hour to play. 

If we're going on the weekend performances of Newcastle and Brighton compared though, I'd say Newcastle have nothing to worry about...

• The topic was unpinned

Archived