talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sheff Utd 0-2 Wolves - Monday 14th September, 2020

football forum

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Sheff Utd 0-1 (Jimenez, 3") Wolves - Monday 14th September, 2020
  • The title was changed to Sheff Utd 0-2 (Saiss, 5") Wolves - Monday 14th September, 2020
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Sheffield United in a relegation battle this season

I agree. I think they'll stay up but I think they'll be right in the thick of it. I put 0-0 on predictions for this but changed my mind earlier and thought Wolves would win.

They're well organised but there's just so little quality in their side. I think they've been a bit sussed.

Just me though who doesn't think Wolves were actually that good there? I thought they were overly defensive. They could easily have thrown that.

• The title was changed to Sheff Utd 0-2 Wolves - Monday 14th September, 2020
2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Sheffield United in a relegation battle this season

Could be,  defensively Wilder may have been found out and their strikers aren't good enough for the Premier,   were they even in for Callum Wilson?  £20m is a steal.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Redcanuck said:

Could be,  defensively Wilder may have been found out and their strikers aren't good enough for the Premier,   were they even in for Callum Wilson?  £20m is a steal.

They're probably highly restricted by the impact of the pandemic like so many other clubs, they don't exactly have billionaire backing.

I do think there'll be a dose of second season syndrome for them. Their overlapping centre backs thing is cool but ultimately, as Dan says, they haven't got that much out and out quality. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

They're probably highly restricted by the impact of the pandemic like so many other clubs, they don't exactly have billionaire backing.

I do think there'll be a dose of second season syndrome for them. Their overlapping centre backs thing is cool but ultimately, as Dan says, they haven't got that much out and out quality. 

Just a Saudi prince in charge...

I'm sure he's not short of a few bob!

Yeah Sheffield United do have billionaire backing. But having billionaire backing doesn't always mean you're going to be spending a shitload of money, and to Sheffield United's credit it does seem like despite having a wealthy owner they've tried to be fairly self-sustaining.

59 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You know what I mean though. They haven't had billionaire backing in the transfer market then.

I do think he's been a pretty big part of their overall rise to the premier league and their weirdly successful campaign last season. But I get what you're saying, yeah, he's not come in and done the traditional "billionaires plaything" that some new rich owners have done.

But I do think he's given them stability and financial security that's maybe not as immediately as apparent as Roman Abramovich or the UAE Sheiks and dropping money in. But that's really sort of "new money" billionaire involvement in football - the idea of a wealthy successful businessman coming in for stability and financial security is sort of how Spurs have been for a very long time; first with Alan Sugar and his billion (just billion in the singular, the broke bastard xD) and then Joe Lewis.

Even with the money behind Spurs, I've never really thought of them as some of the biggest spenders in the league/continent. Maybe I'm wrong though...

• Subscriber

It's all about actual backing. I remember years ago Bristol City fans used to gob off to us when we wanted to buy Maynard saying how their owner is worth multi billions. Where's it got them?

• The topic was unpinned
On 14/09/2020 at 20:39, Redcanuck said:

It's not when you consider his wages

WIlson is now on around 75k at Newcastle, McBurnie & Mousset 'our present strikeforce' are on 25-30k pw.

Our total wage bill for the entire squad is around 13m, lowest in the league, in contrast Man-Utd's is around 300+m.

On 15/09/2020 at 08:14, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Sheffield United's owner isn't a billionaire. He's worth about £200m, or 1 transfer window at Chelsea :ph34r:

Yes. He got very lucky, especially considering the whole debacle with our previous owner and the court case leading to his ownership. When you break it all down, Chris Wilder IS the football club and he got us here through coaching methods and the backroom staff around him and the scouts. That's it.. that's the football club. The ownership isn't even part of the ingredients to how this all transpired. Compare that to clubs like Fulham and Aston Villa who live and breath off their owners.....

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DNA said:

WIlson is now on around 75k at Newcastle, McBurnie & Mousset 'our present strikeforce' are on 25-30k pw.

Our total wage bill for the entire squad is around 13m, lowest in the league, in contrast Man-Utd's is around 300+m.

75k :o

Makes sense as to why we steered away from him after some initial interest.

7 hours ago, DNA said:

Your wages are extremely low, players like Egan and O'Connell on 7 or 8 thousand a week.  I think there are tea ladies at City,  Chelsea and United on more than that.

Have to think you will have a problem holding on to your best players when it is time to renew contracts.

3 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Your wages are extremely low, players like Egan and O'Connell on 7 or 8 thousand a week.  I think there are tea ladies at City,  Chelsea and United on more than that.

Have to think you will have a problem holding on to your best players when it is time to renew contracts.

The core of the team work best under Wilder, they will leave at their own peril. Besides, apart from Lundstram on his final year everyone else is pretty much tied down. 

Hopefully with another year in the Prem and fans returning, we can start evolving, Bramall Lane and training facilities are being revamped and Tbf money has been available to an extent unlike for example Norwich last year, who seemed to have nothing.

Archived