talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Cuties (2020) Netflix Film Sparks Controversy

football forum

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - we talked about in another thread. 

I don't know, but the ads look like something you wouldn't have blinked at a couple of years ago, but now it is viewed as disgusting. 

I don't know anything about it, only the ads surrounding it, and I do think they (Netflix) do slightly sexualize young kids in this show. 

• Subscriber

I saw some gifs of it on Twitter as #CancelNetflix was trending at number 1 in the UK for a bit yesterday. It's absolutely disgusting this, like properly, properly wrong. I shuddered.

I can see where they started with it, raising the issue of girls being overly sexualised at a young age. After that starting point though, it's absolutely incredible that this has made it through so many meetings and so much scrutiny of scripts and filming and choreography and then onto actual Netflix, without someone realising 'what the actual fuck are we doing?'

• The title was changed to Cuties (2020) Netflix Film Sparks Controversy
9 minutes ago, Cicero said:

There are a whirlwind of arguments from the left that are stating the whole point of the film is to make you uncomfortable. The sexualisation of young children has been an issue for ages and this film tries to highlight it. 

Okay, but who was really arguing against it? 

This is totally unnecessary and downright disgusting. I have no interest in seeing anything more after those stills above. Christ sake. 

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Cicero said:

There are a whirlwind of arguments from the left that are stating the whole point of the film is to make you uncomfortable. The sexualisation of young children has been an issue for ages and this film tries to highlight it. 

So provocative on purpose in order to shed light on a serious issue? 

Can't comment without having seen it, but even if that's what their intentions were, I am still appalled. They essentially sexualise child actresses and have them twerk on camera and whatnot for alleged "awareness". Child exploitation is still child exploitation, just because it's serving a purpose doesn't make it any less fucked up.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Cicero said:

I get the whole raising awareness thing but this is different. There are myriad examples of pieces of art including TV and film raising people's awareness about historical and present issues but these all involve actors and actresses pretending to be involved in organised crime, gang warfare, sexual abuse, same sex relationships, serious illness etc. 

The difference with this movie is that they're not raising awareness of child exploitation by getting actresses to pretend they're being exploited. They're raising awareness of child exploitation by exploiting children. It's like if they made 12 Years a Slave by actually enslaving a man for 12 years and making a documentary about it for Netflix.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Azeem said:

Wow. How does this stuff even get sanctioned?! What did the parents of these kids think when it was being produced/filmed? Surely there has to be some consent to it which is even more fucked up and weirdly ironic given what the film is allegedly trying to make people aware of. 

8 hours ago, Stan said:

Wow. How does this stuff even get sanctioned?! What did the parents of these kids think when it was being produced/filmed? Surely there has to be some consent to it which is even more fucked up and weirdly ironic given what the film is allegedly trying to make people aware of. 

Like if you want to address child sexual exploitation you can do that without explicitly showing child sexuality itself. 

And I'm thinking they must have done these things in auditions and rehearsals as well before putting on the screen. Ewww

• Subscriber

Read the trends today and its bizarre that Netflix even allowed this to get beyond the "yeah you can have the funding to go make this movie and bring it to our platform". Someone there must have thought this would be a good idea and that someone must have lots of power over everyone that had to oversee it in the process because the concept behind it, whatever good intentions it may have, does not belong on any platform.

Archived