Macclesfield Town Wound Up In Court

football forum

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Macclesfield Town Wound Up In Court
  • Administrator

Absolutely shit to hear :(

Sounds like the owner doesn't/didn't have the funds at all and got the club further in to debt with no means of ever being able to pay it back.

'Fit and proper' test...

29 minutes ago, Stan said:

Absolutely shit to hear :(

Sounds like the owner doesn't/didn't have the funds at all and got the club further in to debt with no means of ever being able to pay it back.

'Fit and proper' test...

They are saying that they ample time to pay of creditors but didn't do so... 

146 years of history being flushed down the toilet... I really feel for their fans, feel even more pissed off that with all this money in the game something could not have been done to salvage or avoid this situation... 

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

They are saying that they ample time to pay of creditors but didn't do so... 

146 years of history being flushed down the toilet... I really feel for their fans, feel even more pissed off that with all this money in the game something could not have been done to salvage or avoid this situation... 

Yeah I read on BBC that the owner showed the court he had £1.1m on a bank statement but couldn't say where it was from or why it couldn't have been paid earlier.

Doesn't sound dodgy at all. 

The richest clubs in England watching this happen should be ashamed. For half a million, to save an entire football club that’s been around for that long? Should be a fund in place from the bigger clubs who can afford it. 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

The richest clubs in England watching this happen should be ashamed. For half a million, to save an entire football club that’s been around for that long? Should be a fund in place from the bigger clubs who can afford it. 

It’s not their place to bail out clubs. Nor should it ever be. 

Macclesfield is yet another club with an owner who wasn’t fit to run a bath, let alone a football club yet has passed due diligence tests to end up running a football club. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

It’s not their place to bail out clubs. Nor should it ever be. 

Macclesfield is yet another club with an owner who wasn’t fit to run a bath, let alone a football club yet has passed due diligence tests to end up running a football club. 

It’s not usually. But I think in the interest of goodwill, during a pandemic, you’d expect there to be something they could offer to the lower league clubs who rely mostly on gate receipts. The lack of bail out from the FA at least is a disgrace. 

11 minutes ago, Rick said:

It’s not usually. But I think in the interest of goodwill, during a pandemic, you’d expect there to be something they could offer to the lower league clubs who rely mostly on gate receipts. The lack of bail out from the FA at least is a disgrace. 

This winding up order outdates the pandemic by some way. Macclesfield have spent much of the last couple of years, coincidentally a similar time period to their owner arriving, fighting off winding up orders, as Southend have been as well for the past ten years. 

I would agree that it's not another clubs responsibility to save another and as @Smiley Culture already alluded to there should have been mechanisms in place to prevent this sort of thing happening in the first place. I do however feel that the vast amounts of cash are always floating to the top which can put an unreasonable strain on clubs in lower leagues with smaller attendances and less tv money... If they don't balance out how they filter it down the leagues this won't be the last club that suffers.. 

I can understand why if someone with a pocket full of cash waltzes in then they are all too keen to snatch that opportunity to bring extra money into the club, trouble is that looks fine on paper in the short term but as in this case can be catastrophic in the long run... 

9 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

I would agree that it's not another clubs responsibility to save another and as @Smiley Culture already alluded to there should have been mechanisms in place to prevent this sort of thing happening in the first place. I do however feel that the vast amounts of cash are always floating to the top which can put an unreasonable strain on clubs in lower leagues with smaller attendances and less tv money... If they don't balance out how they filter it down the leagues this won't be the last club that suffers.. 

I can understand why if someone with a pocket full of cash waltzes in then they are all too keen to snatch that opportunity to bring extra money into the club, trouble is that looks fine on paper in the short term but as in this case can be catastrophic in the long run... 

Yeah, i don't expect your Man City's, Chelsea's, Man Utd's and Liverpool's to have to dip in and fork out someone elses mess just because they have the cash, and if that safety blanket was in place I think lower league clubs would rely on the bail out option all to often.

But you are right when you say the money needs to be filtered down the pyramid. The FA should be all over this really. You cannot be sitting there watching clubs fold like this when there are things that could be done. 

Sadly no one cares enough. The rich keep on getting richer, the poor poorer and it will continue to happen when it should never be the case.

Bury was a massive wake up call and that should really have been the point that contingency plans were put in place going forward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
  • Subscriber
16 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Can buy their stadium on RightMove, if you have £500k spare.

Crazy times unfortunately. Apparently, it was listed at 750k last week so has dropped in valuation in just a few days.

On 17/09/2020 at 21:10, Lucas said:

Yeah, i don't expect your Man City's, Chelsea's, Man Utd's and Liverpool's to have to dip in and fork out someone elses mess just because they have the cash, and if that safety blanket was in place I think lower league clubs would rely on the bail out option all to often.

But you are right when you say the money needs to be filtered down the pyramid. The FA should be all over this really. You cannot be sitting there watching clubs fold like this when there are things that could be done. 

Sadly no one cares enough. The rich keep on getting richer, the poor poorer and it will continue to happen when it should never be the case.

Bury was a massive wake up call and that should really have been the point that contingency plans were put in place going forward.

The 'trickle down' economic theory has dominated the Western World for nearly half a century now, and look where we are. Poverty and inequality growing and growing. It's exactly the same in football.

Clubs like Liverpool, Manchester United etc should be coughing up in these extreme times, they have benefited from the restructuring of football to benefit them entirely. The most wealthy, just like in society, should help out when times are tough. You do not grow rich independent from the society you live, you grow rich from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Macclesfield are back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54526501

Local businessman Robert Smethurst has purchased the assets of Macclesfield Town, intending to rebrand the club as Macclesfield FC and enter the North West Counties League next season.

Former Wales international Robbie Savage will join the club's board and Danny Whittaker will be team manager.

Macclesfield Town were expelled from the National League in September after they were wound up in the High Court.

Born in Macclesfield, Smethurst also owns 10th-tier club Stockport Town.

The Silkmen had been due to begin the season against Bromley on 3 October, but will now target rejoining the league pyramid in the 2021-22 campaign.

The North West Counties League's Premier Division is step nine, with the North and South divisions at step 10, and the latter is the most likely entry point for the new club.

In a statement later on Tuesday, the National League confirmed Macclesfield Town had been expelled and said that the league would run with 23 clubs this season and the number of teams relegated reduced from four to three.

Ex-Leicester City and Derby County midfielder Savage, now a TV and radio football pundit, will also hold the title of head of football operations and will be joined on the board by former Silkmen Supporters' Trust chairman Jon Smart.

"Over the coming years, our main aim is to move up through the leagues," Smethurst said in a statement.

"I am passionate about building a secure business model and strong commercial foundation so the past issues the club has experienced will not happen again.

"The key focus is and will always continue to be football, the fans and the community. Without the support of the fans, the associated ticket sales and hospitality; the club will find it hard to progress through any leagues despite any financial backing it receives."

Smethurst has been involved in the game through his Pro Football Academy and aims to turn Macclesfield's fortunes around after a tumultuous time for the club on and off the pitch in a financially troubled past two seasons.

He plans to install a 4G pitch at their Moss Rose home as well as a gym and classrooms to enable the stadium to be used by the local community, as well as the relaunched Macclesfield FC.

"I was devastated to see what happened here at Macclesfield. A club steeped in history and worth more than any value in money to locals," added Savage, who played for Smethurst's Stockport Town last season.

"I live within a stone's throw from the ground and have integral links to the club as a local grassroots coach, a father who brings his sons here to spectate and a footballing professional who campaigns and lobbies for lower tier football clubs, who are the foundation of the game."

Whitaker, 39, played almost 400 games for the Silkmen in two spells and had agreed a new one-year contract the day before the club was wound up.

• 7 months later...

Archived