talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Do You Think Chelsea Will Retain Their Title?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's tough as no team as defended the title since Man Utd in 2009. Surely the 2 Manchester clubs will once again spend a fortune this summer. You'd imagine that Guardiola will sort out City's defence, while Mourinho has a proud track record of basically always winning the title in his 2nd season at clubs (Porto in 2004, Chelsea in 2006, Inter in 2010, Real Madrid in 2012 and Chelsea in 2015). Of course he then either leaves or falls out with everyone in his 3rd season. 

I agree that Chelsea will certainly make a much better go of it than they did in 2015/2016, and Conte has been determined for months now to strengthen this summer,  to balance another title challenge with a Champions League campaign. 

Just now, Aaroncpfc said:

I'd like them too just to end all this 'you can't focus on two competitions' rubbish.

It's no coincidence the last two champions haven't been playing European football :ph34r:

Seriously though, it's obviously possible to focus on two competitions, but having a full week to prepare and recover gives undeniably gives you an advantage.

10 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I'd like them too just to end all this 'you can't focus on two competitions' rubbish.

Agreed. I hate all this putting eggs into one basket. To me it's cheating the fans. 

Every time Man Utd reached a Champions League final under Ferguson, they won the Premier League title in those seasons as well. 

That includes smaller Premier League clubs who convince themselves that they can't combine a good cup run with their league campaign. I'll never forget Gary Megson giving up on the UEFA Cup when Bolton had a winnable and evenly poised last 16 tie against Sporting Lisbon in 2008, or Paul Lambert fielding a weakened team in the FA Cup with Villa one year, to concentrate on a Premier League game 9 days later. 

Mid table Premier League clubs fielding weakened teams in the FA Cup winds me up. 

Hopefully the other sides can raise their game and make it difficult. 

There has been a lot more pressure on the premier league since 2009 when city rose up and locked down a UCL place... making it very hard for anyone to cruise to a top 4 finish whilst going deep in the UCL.

Nope I don't think they will. Mainly because...

1. Let's put it down early, Champions League will naturally suck more energy out of them. It's a given.

2. I think it's different kettle of fish defending a title than it is winning one. You don't quite have that same hunger and desire, which is why you've seen no team defend the league since 2008-09.

3. That 13 game winning run up to the new year was absolutely obscene. That was what got them into such a great position to win this league. I couldn't quite see them doing that again because it takes some serious luck as well as quality to win 13 consecutive PL matches.

4. They didn't seem to suffer any key injuries over the course of the season. That spine of Courtois, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Kante, Hazard, Costa all played over 90% of their games. You would surely think they wouldn't be as fortunate to go through another season as healthy as that again.

Can't see it happening. It's like Lucas said if any key players go down it won't be as smooth as this past year. Also City is probably going to spend stupid money to catch up this summer.

11 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Can't see it happening. It's like Lucas said if any key players go down it won't be as smooth as this past year. Also City is probably going to spend stupid money to catch up this summer.

The thing is, we are already better than them. Bravo was a big mistake and key players injured most the season (Kompany, Gundogan) stoppped us running away with it plus next season we will have 3 top young fullbacks, a world class keeper and CB plus Jesus for the full season too

• Subscriber

I think they can because in my eyes, there's actually still a fair bit of room for improvement in their side when playing 3-4-3. I reckon they could definitely improve on Cahill, Matic and Moses for example.

It is hard to ignore Spurs though. They are playing some incredible stuff. But I'm still yet to be convinced they have the mentality to do it.

• Subscriber

This Chelsea team aren't as rock-solid as they're being made out to be and next season with the added pressure of playing more games in Europe coupled with a highly competitive league is going to really test how far they can go on both fronts. I think they'll hang around the top but other teams will be improving over the summer and I'd be surprised if they retained the title next season. Aren't they also in danger of losing key players this summer?

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

This Chelsea team aren't as rock-solid as they're being made out to be and next season with the added pressure of playing more games in Europe coupled with a highly competitive league is going to really test how far they can go on both fronts. I think they'll hang around the top but other teams will be improving over the summer and I'd be surprised if they retained the title next season. Aren't they also in danger of losing key players this summer?

Chelsea is probably the last team in this league than needs to sell.

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Chelsea is probably the last team in this league than needs to sell.

I think he's referring to the rumours regarding Hazard and Costa! 

Chelsea obviously don't need  to sell but players sometimes just want to leave or have their heads turned when a bigger club comes knocking which obviously makes it harder to keep them. 

9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

I think he's referring to the rumours regarding Hazard and Costa! 

Chelsea obviously don't need  to sell but players sometimes just want to leave or have their heads turned when a bigger club comes knocking which obviously makes it harder to keep them. 

Yeah i think Costa is off 100%, while i doubt we will be keen to sell Hazard at any price. He would be much harder to replace than for example Costa.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Yeah i think Costa is off 100%, while i doubt we will be keen to sell Hazard at any price. He would be much harder to replace than for example Costa.

Don't disagree on the Costa comment and I think if you'll do sell him the money can be reinvested in a striker to match the goals he got for you'll this season. 

18 minutes ago, True Blue said:

My morning sucks dick

SirBalon didn't get you you're favorite cuppa this morning? 

Archived