• Safari
    • Firefox
    • Opera
    • Other (Please State)

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think that was me xD

I swear I have never once googledfor single Arab girls though

You know if you even visit a few sites with Arab girls hidden deep somewhere in the page you scrolled on it will be used as potential data when nothing else works. It's silly but thats how some algorithms work. I don't use Spotify and yet i'm begin told to be the "Best Data in the World" and get my kids Spotify. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I now use Opera GX which is basically Opera but with sleeker design. It has an inbuilt VPN which is rather rudimentary but still functional, as well as a forced dark mode for every website and compatibility with all Chrome etensions. It's also takes a lot less juice to run than some other browsers.

Others I've tried:

- Chrome: prefer not to use it because fuck Google
- Firefox: was a nice browser until it became the biggest resource hog on the market
- Yandex: a nice Chrome-based browser with some interesting features, but I stopped using it after it automatically set every page to German for some reason

14 hours ago, Eco said:

I was joking anyways, as we had that member on here (or maybe on the old site) that complained about seeing all the Single Arab women ads on the site, only to be informed by Rab and those with an understandings of ads to inform said user that they are based on search history of the user. xD

They aren't, everybody gets those ads.

44 minutes ago, Panflute said:

They aren't, everybody gets those ads.

Ads are certainly based on your viewing habits.

Now, as @Mel81x said, if you visit a sport site that happens to have a Asian player, or sponsor, and then anything to do with women, then the algorithm can certainly make the leap of you needing to see Single Asian Women.

The worst, or craziest, was that my wife and I were talking about taking a trip to the Bahamas when this is all over, and then we both got ads for Trips to the Bahamas.

2 hours ago, Eco said:

Ads are certainly based on your viewing habits.

Now, as @Mel81x said, if you visit a sport site that happens to have a Asian player, or sponsor, and then anything to do with women, then the algorithm can certainly make the leap of you needing to see Single Asian Women.

The worst, or craziest, was that my wife and I were talking about taking a trip to the Bahamas when this is all over, and then we both got ads for Trips to the Bahamas.

To a degree. Multiple people have seen ads advertising ethnic dating sites specifically on this website alone, so it has to be something to do with the way ads are run here as well.

Just now, Panflute said:

To a degree. Multiple people have seen ads advertising ethnic dating sites specifically on this website alone, so it has to be something to do with the way ads are run here as well.

I get mostly ads from Thriftbooks, which is where I buy most of my books from. 

• Subscriber

Internet Explorer at work unfortunately as it's the only one that works with the reports system we use for the radio ads.

At home though, it's Chrome on my Mac as can't stand Safari. Getting a new PC soon though so will either be Chrome or Opera. I do like the sound of the rewards points on Edge though!

5 hours ago, Cicero said:

Edge is very nice. Better than Chrome imo 

I don't know about better than Chrome - but I think it's a bit about personal preference.

Although, tbh I'm probably not using Edge to the fullest of it's capability. I'm using Bing (the default search engine) on my work computer - (protip: just type the word "google" into bing) - but I do think it's a nice browser. It's clean and it runs quick. And if you do use Bing as the default search engine... Microsoft will give you plenty of rewards points to make it worth your while. Which, tbh, is fairly compelling.

At home though, I'm just so into the "google ecosystem" (which might not be the best thing in terms of my data collection/privacy) - and Chrome's pretty convenient.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh I use Chrome at home and Edge when I’m working. I use Edge on my work computer because of the Microsoft Rewards points, which I then take to buy video games

Wait you get MS Reward points for using Edge? How? What? Why? Also, the reason we all feel so comfy on Edge is because its a rebadged Chromium engine with all the Google stuff removed and the original Chromium split-work on it. 

On 17/09/2020 at 23:20, Mel81x said:

Wait you get MS Reward points for using Edge? How? What? Why? Also, the reason we all feel so comfy on Edge is because its a rebadged Chromium engine with all the Google stuff removed and the original Chromium split-work on it. 

Wait what? 

Please explain more @Dr. Gonzo, as that could be slightly tempting (if my Xbox Live account still exists that is). 

• Subscriber
On 17/09/2020 at 23:20, Mel81x said:

I think they wanted to incentivise it so that you use their browser rather than others. It's really easy, if you're logged into your Microsoft account whilst using it, you get points for using Bing to search and there's also bonus points for doing short 1 question surveys etc. And then when you have enough points, you can redeem for gift cards for different stores or for a Xbox Live membership or a Game Pass etc

On 19/09/2020 at 11:56, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Wait what? 

Please explain more @Dr. Gonzo, as that could be slightly tempting (if my Xbox Live account still exists that is). 

See above :) I've just earnt a Xbox gift card by doing the 'daily tasks' they set.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Pyfish said:

I think they wanted to incentivise it so that you use their browser rather than others. It's really easy, if you're logged into your Microsoft account whilst using it, you get points for using Bing to search and there's also bonus points for doing short 1 question surveys etc. And then when you have enough points, you can redeem for gift cards for different stores or for a Xbox Live membership or a Game Pass etc

See above :) I've just earnt a Xbox gift card by doing the 'daily tasks' they set.

Thanks and now I know why I don't get any of the stuff you'll get.

image.thumb.png.28c94a2b450b04b32361152e655638cd.png

On 17/09/2020 at 15:20, Mel81x said:

On 19/09/2020 at 03:56, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Wait what? 

Oh my bad fellas I didn't see this!

@Mel81x - looks like Microsoft has fucked you. Sorry about that. But @Bluebird Hewitthttps://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/rewards

• 1 month later...

Archived